Clear all

Losing Players to Lacrosse

Page 6 / 7

davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Yes, much smaller so we can turn on a dime
But not a lot has changed- small incremental tweaks in 11 years here

Some don't like the lack of input/bureaucracy/waste of time meetings, but the good ones don't care- prefer it IMO
Good coaches just want their gear in a timely and reasonable fashion
Place and times to practice
Enough kids to field a team
A reasonably run league
Timely and reasonable gear for their kids
Support when needed with parents/league
They want to coach- not play committee man
If they want more than that- drama- bureaucracy then they can go waste someone elses time  8)

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

its really hard to lose by more than 24 in our league.

I can vouch for that.  You really, really have to work at it.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Cool.

I am coaching the local "A" team of 9 and 10 year olds. 

Will be close to A team of 7 and 8 year olds of two years ago - minus 4 of their top players.  1 got recruited to play next weight level even though weight wise he should be with me as an older lighter.  One is playing up a weight class to be with his dad and brother.    One got recruited to pop warner.    Another kid gained too much weight in last 2 weeks and doesn't want to lose 6 lbs. 

They lost every game save one by 25+ points and its really hard to lose by more than 24 in our league.  Team they beat was a tiny program with far fewer kids. 

I'll have all new coaches except for 1 and my brother who doesn't really coach yet.  Met 1 guy today, he seems like a good coach. 

Michael is thinking about helping me as well.  He might do rowing club or something. 

All that being said I think we will be in the hunt if my two returning twins make weight.  Right now they are both over, but are committed to losing the weight.   

I can really lean on them.  Only thing that is really hurting us is a complete lack of top end speed.    Should have a solid core of 6 - 8 kids otherwise, rest of kids we can coach up. 

If those kids don't make weight we won't be very good.  That will hurt us a lot.

Best of luck

You posted about losing a bunch of kids to other teams- I guess that is good if they were terrible- new blood  ;D

Good pizza getting all your kids but 1 back- that should be par for the course for everyone- but it isnt  IMO

Sounds like my worst to first team in Reno 6 wins in 6 years. We scored 440 points, and had some 50-60-70 point turnarounds, it can be done. VERY true good kids bail on bad teams, the Reno team lost its 2 best backs the year I got there and of course a plethora of their best kids in the previous 6 years. Very doable- Especially at that age group.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

In most inner- cities baseball isn't big

It may not be absolutely big in all of them (it seems so here, Chi., Pitts., Balto.), but it's bigger than football.  Even if you just look at the number of fields, there's probably 3-4 diamonds for every rectangular field (and the rectangular ones aren't exclusively for football).

As to wrestling- if you've ever been on a wrestling team you would get it. It's much harder and no place to hide if you are an "mpr" wrestler

That's not what I meant by "hard", although FAIK your way may be the way the poster I was quoting meant it.  What you're saying is that it's very competitive.  That doesn't make it harder to learn.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Best of luck

You posted about losing a bunch of kids to other teams- I guess that is good if they were terrible- new blood  ;D

Not a bunch, but three of my top 5 and one my top 13.  Some kids I would like to have.    I am thinking there is a chance the older lighter will come back once he realizes what he has gotten into with the older kids.  He is really little. 

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver

"It is not wise to specialize". This is the phrase I've been using this summer if a player is not playing football because of another sport.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Yes, much smaller so we can turn on a dime
But not a lot has changed- small incremental tweaks in 11 years here

Some don't like the lack of input/bureaucracy/waste of time meetings, but the good ones don't care- prefer it IMO
Good coaches just want their gear in a timely and reasonable fashion
Place and times to practice
Enough kids to field a team
A reasonably run league
Timely and reasonable gear for their kids
Support when needed with parents/league
They want to coach- not play committee man
If they want more than that- drama- bureaucracy then they can go waste someone elses time  8)

Dave

Its why I refer to Board Members as Chicken Heads.

They all get together once a month to cluck and peck at one another.

I sat on the League Board representing one of the Orgs for two years....20 Orgs. Our League has been in business for 70+ years. I'd leave some of these meetings wondering how in the World did this League last this long? God must love Youth Football was my take.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Dave

I sat on the League Board representing one of the Orgs for two years....20 Orgs. Our League has been in business for 70+ years. I'd leave some of these meetings wondering how in the World did this League last this long? God must love Youth Football was my take.

I understand

That's why I never been on one of the Boards
Went to a meeting where the Treasurer a 20+ year postal employee debated some non important "point" no one cared about for 30+ minutes. I just quietly walked out. The only proposal I had ever put up was in regard to mercy rule and it was voted down something like 14-2  8)
I decided right then I valued my teeth ( I was grinding them down to nubs) more than I valued going to the meetings and vowed to live with whatever they came up with, no matter how silly it was in trade for not having to go to any of the meetings. That was Omaha- not where I am now. Didn't go  to a League meeting for 3+ years.
Not a big fan of the guys at those meetings that asked questions they already knew the answers to- yes there is such a thing as a bad question.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

That's one of the things I worried about w the new administration of our league-club.  At the coaches' meeting July 1, the former dir. of football ops, who'd run things from the beginning in 1952, revealed that he'd been selecting the HCs alone, the other admins. apparently not wanting to get involved.  The new CEO says that's going to be done more democratically now.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

That's not what I meant by "hard", although FAIK your way may be the way the poster I was quoting meant it.  What you're saying is that it's very competitive.  That doesn't make it harder to learn.

I mean hard. Difficult. In every way. Physically. Mentally. Emotionally. Football is hard. Wrestling is hard (haven't done it but saw enough of my very good HS team practicing to know how effin tough that sport is). Hockey - I think - is hard. You can't hide, there's no way to slack off in those sports without getting your ass kicked.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

Youth Football is a grind (especially after school is in session).

Typical practice day.

3:45 - Kids get home from School
3:45 to 4:30 - Homework/Snacks etc.
4:30 to 5:00 - Free Time for kids (usually more snacks for youngest).
5:00 to 5:20 - Gather gear/water get ready for practice
5:20 - Dad arrives home, yells at them "we've got to go" and finds what ever gear they are missing
5:25 - Leave, drive past HS practice (which is wrapping up).
6:00 to 8:00 Practice
8:00 to 8:30 - Wait while Dad takes care of parent/coach issues and stores equipment
8:45 - Back home - Shower and eat.
9:30 in bed (hopefully).

This is 3 days a week for most of us. It doesn't leave a lot of free time and by October we are running on fumes. It's a lot of "work" for 8 to 10 games.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

The numbers are in !

I lost 10 Players this off season....10!...from ONE Team.

I've gone 10 years and lost less players combined.

I suck.  🙁

Gonna be an interesting Season.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

The numbers are in !

I lost 10 Players this off season....10!...from ONE Team.

I've gone 10 years and lost less players combined.

I suck.  🙁

Gonna be an interesting Season.

Coach that is rough. How many new players did you get?

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Coach that is rough. How many new players did you get?

A

No clue. I have 4 Recruits bringing me to 13. The Draft is Saturday. I'd like to draft 10. Have to see how the other 4 Teams look numbers wise.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Draft complete.

Started with 18....lost 9....recruited 5....drafted 8.

Sitting at 22.

Never been through anything like this before. Lost half the team and ended up with more players than I started with.  ???

Let the mayhem begin.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share: