Notifications
Clear all

May have to Fire an AC

Page 4 / 6

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

No, no, no, Mal.  You've completely misundertood my post.  (Because I typed it incorrectly.)  When I say "you," I don't mean "YOU."  I mean "anyone who doesn't take it seriously enough to commit to excellence." 

Gee, you're as bad as my players:  "But Coach, you said run "Rip 66 Super Power."  "I know what I said, but that's not what I meant.  You need to already know when I made a mistake and correct it yourself!"

--Dave

Our players get to the point where they know what we want and that sometimes what we say is not what we meant. Kinda funny when they call you out on it. "You mean gold 32, not blue 32, right coach." Right, run the play.  😀

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Our players get to the point where they know what we want and that sometimes what we say is not what we meant. Kinda funny when they call you out on it.

Rob,  that happens all the time:

Player:  "But Coach, don't you mean 'Liz 77 Super Power?"

Me:  "Then run it!"

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

Our players get to the point where they know what we want and that sometimes what we say is not what we meant. Kinda funny when they call you out on it. "You mean gold 32, not blue 32, right coach." Right, run the play.  😀

haha this happened on my freshman team (as a player).

our HC made a non-existent call and the QB corrected him. coach LOST IT, said he'd "had enough of the mouth" and the QB, who was our best, never played QB again.  😮

same guy that used to install new (5-7 step) passing plays DURING games and yell at me and the QBs when they didn't work. needless to say, he wasn't coaching in our program for very long.

many recognize the amount of incompetent coaches at the youth level but i'm not sure as many realize how much the issue extends to the HS level. don't get me wrong, there are LOTS of GREAT HS coaches, but there are plenty of bad ones at that level too.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

our HC made a non-existent call and the QB corrected him. coach LOST IT, said he'd "had enough of the mouth" and the QB, who was our best, never played QB again.

--If that was my experience, I wouldn't have any QBs left.  lol

--My point is, it's a common issue (for me) and I'm thankful when my players recognize that I'm clueless.  Otherwise, we'd be in deep trouble.  They feel like I'm accessible because I don't blow up about stuff like that.  Here's something that happened yesterday:  A coach hollared at my QB about something that my QB felt was unwarranted.  When the QB came over to me, he was perturbed about it.  I took him aside and told him, "If you can't accept coaches yelling at you for no good reason and being unreasonable and incomprehensible in their demands, then you've got no business playing football."  He laughed and we moved on.  That was my way of telling him that I saw what he had to deal with, but that he'd also have to accept it as a part of the game.  If he can't handle it, he won't go far in life.

many recognize the amount of incompetent coaches at the youth level but i'm not sure as many realize how much the issue extends to the HS level. don't get me wrong, there are LOTS of GREAT HS coaches, but there are plenty of bad ones at that level too.

--No one ever has to look far to find bad coaches anywhere.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

it's that your goals are different and the way you interact with the kids is different.

--Chris' goal teaching 6-year-olds at Flag is the exact same as my goal teaching high school players.  The goal is to teach them the very best you can.  If that's too ambiguous, then it's taking your responsibility seriously, not wasting kids' time, being organized, having structure and providing a disciplined environment in order to teach.  You cannot do this if you aren't taking it seriously.

I feel differently then you.  I am probably going to implement zero game plan with a 6 year old team and I probably won't scout.  My only goal with them is get them better and for them to have fun at practice and games.  We would still win a lot more than we would lose. 

My goal for older groups is championships as well as the above.  So I do a little more outside of practice planning like scouting and individual game plans. 

When coaching 6,7 and 8 year olds - the attitude is very light hearted. 

--Successful coaches teach to the strength of their personality.  No one will ever confuse Gagliardi with Lombardi.  Yet both were great at what they did.       

I don't feel like you should act like Lombardi with a 6 year old.  They won't get it or appreciate it and they will want to quit.  I have to adjust my humor with them too, they don't understand sarcasm.    A lot of things you have to change when dealing with different levels of development. 

The babies comment was also made because you had a dad already fricken complaining that his kid wasn't the RB in 6 year old flag ball.

--But Dan, the same applies to ANY age of youth football.  Right now, I have three former players who are D1 college football starters as offensive backs.  The starting QB at Georgia Tech played Offensive Tackle and Linebacker for me.  The starting RB at NC State played Tight End for me (never touched the ball).  The starting RB at UNC played TE and LB for me.  I certainly did not hinder their ability to get a D1 college scholarship regardless of how bad a judge of talent I was.  I placed them where I thought they would help us be successful.  I was also fortunate that these parents didn't complain to me.  Either they saw what I saw, or they just wanted their kids to play and enjoy youth ball.  Let their high school coach figure out that they're a RB or QB.  After all, a college coach isn't going to recruit them until then.

Yeah, and I had a kid who just signed a D1 baseball scholarship who could have played any position save QB.  He played OT for me because I needed him there.

I understand that parents complain about position assignments.  Anyone who has ever coached understands that.  The point isn't that we always put kids in the right spots or hurt their futures somehow.  The point is for a coach/dad to start complaining at 6 year old flag ball is insane and way over the top under any standard.

--Dave

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I feel differently then you.  I am probably going to implement zero game plan with a 6 year old team and I probably won't scout.

--I doubt that I would scout, either.  I would probably focus more on "what we do."  However, all of the things that Chris is doing now for his team will pay off for him as he becomes better at preparing himself for the next age group.

We would still win a lot more than we would lose. 

--I don't doubt that.

The point is for a coach/dad to start complaining at 6 year old flag ball is insane and way over the top under any standard.

--I think it's ridiculous that a parent would complain about that, regardless of the age group.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

See attachment.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

I do coach a 6 year old team. Through out the year I have had mixed feelings on it. It's been an enjoyable experience yet a challenge. I don't feel like I've been any harder or more lenient on this age group than I would have been with an older age group, they goof off they sprint to the goal post and back. They don't get something, I reexplain it, they don't give effort I reenforce. I take the approach that if a player doesn't "get it" regardless of age, that's on me. I didn't explain or I've asked them to do something they simply can't do (physical or mental).

We don't rotate positions, it takes too much to learn just one. I take it just as seriously as I would for an older age group sometimes even a bit more seriously I think because they are so young and need the structure and a well though out plan, they aren't just going to get it, they can watch a drill 5 times then you ask them to step up for their turn and they have no idea what to do. You better have a plan.

We talk about how winning is important, don't ever let someone tell you that it is not, you put this much time into it you should expect/want to win, same for school, same for when you get older etc....however it is not the most important thing. Giving effort is, all your parents and coaches really want is for you to give effort. If you do that what ever happens is fine.

Had an incident w/ the Fall Baseball Team I coach on Sunday, these are 10 year olds. I've had a lot of them for multiple sports over the last 5 years. I haven't always put a big emphasis on winning. We played like crap to a younger team and lost. It's baseball sometimes you don't pitch, sometimes you don't hit when this happens you will likely lose, but we gave poor effort overall and that gave us no chance to win. It's a DH and honestly most of the kids weren't upset. We spent 15 minutes going over expectations between games we played much better. For me their has been a light bulb go off this year. Winning's important. They keep "score" in school, work, life, relationships etc. @ what age does it start to matter? How can I ask any player regardless of age to give effort at their "job" if I don't at mine.

Now some would say for a 6 year old it doesn't matter. Then what age? I don't know but for me it matters. My feelings are if we are just doing this only for "fun" we could save a whole bunch of time and money and just send them to the playground for a couple of hours a week. I've been on both sides and it's a lot more "fun" to win than to lose for the players.

We did scout for this week (they played the game right after us. League plays @ a complex). Going to cover 3 things in practice tonight that we had yet to review with them (motion, passing, and alignment to WAR formation) from what we saw....but 90% of practice has been spent on what we do. Will it make a difference....probably not but it is not going to hurt us.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Luc
 Luc
(@coachluc)
Gold

Now some would say for a 6 year old it doesn't matter. Then what age? I don't know but for me it matters. My feelings are if we are just doing this only for "fun" we could save a whole bunch of time and money and just send them to the playground for a couple of hours a week. I've been on both sides and it's a lot more "fun" to win than to lose for the players.

+1.

I had a coach tell me that it did not matter (if he coached poorly) because they were too young.

So what, he was going to magically become a better coach when they turned 9 ?

As a parent, I did not register my kid for him to learn that 'losing was alright'. At any age.

As a coach, I don't see why it would be OK to teach kids that wining or losing doesn't matter. At any age.

Luc

To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

--I think it's ridiculous that a parent would complain about that, regardless of the age group.

As do I  ;D

And at my parent meeting, I told them they would be positioned by me with input from my AC's...in the best interest of the team....and that they should not worry if junior was a QB or a G or a whatever, they were going to be coached up and taught how to play the position...so they can be the best QB or G or whatever they can be...and just because they were a QB or G or whatever now, doesn't mean they were always going to be that...

And at my practices, linemen get the best drills, as they normally involve knocking people down  ;D

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

I do coach a 6 year old team. Through out the year I have had mixed feelings on it. It's been an enjoyable experience yet a challenge. I don't feel like I've been any harder or more lenient on this age group than I would have been with an older age group, they goof off they sprint to the goal post and back. They don't get something, I reexplain it, they don't give effort I reenforce. I take the approach that if a player doesn't "get it" regardless of age, that's on me. I didn't explain or I've asked them to do something they simply can't do (physical or mental).

We don't rotate positions, it takes too much to learn just one. I take it just as seriously as I would for an older age group sometimes even a bit more seriously I think because they are so young and need the structure and a well though out plan, they aren't just going to get it, they can watch a drill 5 times then you ask them to step up for their turn and they have no idea what to do. You better have a plan.

We talk about how winning is important, don't ever let someone tell you that it is not, you put this much time into it you should expect/want to win, same for school, same for when you get older etc....however it is not the most important thing. Giving effort is, all your parents and coaches really want is for you to give effort. If you do that what ever happens is fine.

We did scout for this week (they played the game right after us. League plays @ a complex). Going to cover 3 things in practice tonight that we had yet to review with them (motion, passing, and alignment to WAR formation) from what we saw....but 90% of practice has been spent on what we do. Will it make a difference....probably not but it is not going to hurt us.

I also scout, so we can do what we do...the league provides us with game film for all the teams in our age group...although I was at the field for this weeks opponent...  ::)

essentially, I run a contrarian defense for flag...an eight man version of the 33 stack...no one else is running that...so running my defense at my offense would actually be counter productive, they're never going to see a team line up like we do and these boys are very literal, so we want to show them how the bad guys are going to line up, so they can get some confidence that they can block them...

My messages are also the same as they would be to an older age group...I just use words that they can understand, well at least most of the time...but we talk about commitment and accountability and doing your job, and focusing on the little things...but my voice is just as tired after coaching 6 year olds as it is for 13 year olds...

I guess where I am at on this, if something is worth doing, do it well, and teaching these kids is definitely worth doing...

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

--Dave

I have seen black kids average 10+ yards a carry and get 5 carries a game.  While a white running back on same team gets 20+ carries and averages 2.5 yards a carry.

I have seen white kids do the same and lose carries to a black kid.  My suspicion is it is because it is assumed the black kid is better based on stereotypes.

I have seen the same scenario with no racial overtones, just favoritism for whatever reason - usually a coaches kid. 

I have seen a youth QB who could accurately throw 50 yards who was practically designed by God to be a proto type quarterback not get picked to play quarterback over a kid who wasn't nearly as good (3 different times - 2 different kids).

Sometimes when parents complain about favoritism or injustice they have a point.  The coach isn't always in the right.

He should be able to explain his actions and reasoning if asked.  To date I always could (if it was my decision).

Parents can feel free to disagree. 

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

I have seen black kids average 10+ yards a carry and get 5 carries a game.  While a white running back on same team gets 20+ carries and averages 2.5 yards a carry.

I have seen white kids do the same and lose carries to a black kid.  My suspicion is it is because it is assumed the black kid is better based on stereotypes.

I have seen the same scenario with no racial overtones, just favoritism for whatever reason - usually a coaches kid. 

I have seen a youth QB who could accurately throw 50 yards who was practically designed by God to be a proto type quarterback not get picked to play quarterback over a kid who wasn't nearly as good (3 different times - 2 different kids).

Sometimes when parents complain about favoritism or injustice they have a point.  The coach isn't always in the right.

He should be able to explain his actions and reasoning if asked.  To date I always could (if it was my decision).

Well, we can erase the nepotism angle, I am related to no one on the team...my son does help me by demoing drills and running water on game day...but that is as close as it gets.

As he did not ask me directly why his son is not a RB, he just told me he liked it better when his son was a RB, I did not feel compelled to answer a question I was not asked...and in his situation, he had the opportunity as an assistant coach to lobby for his son to be a RB, he chose not to come to the meeting...however, had he asked...I could have answered, I have times for all of the boys, and evaluation notes and input from the other coaches, his son is a beast as a G, and as he spent the summer with gramma eating everything fried under the sun, he has lost a step or 10, he is now below the avg on our team for speed...

I am not going to dignify the race card...I am assuming you are just giving examples of times you have seen it happen...

Based on him dad's build, and his 16 year old brothers build, and the level of aggression he plays football with right now, I would guess he is going to be a LB in Middle School, assuming dad doesn't ruin the game for him...right now though, he is a G and a pretty good one 🙂

ReplyQuote
Luc
 Luc
(@coachluc)
Gold

Daniel, of course coaches make mistakes.

But the real question about that great QB is, where was he playing when not QB ?

I had 4 kids play QB last year. Each one had his strengths and weak points.

But whenever I was putting one as QB, I was pulling him from somewhere, and somebody else had to fill in.

And of course, someone had to fill in for that one, and so on and so forth...

There might be other consideration as to what offense they plan on running, etc.

But there always are and always will be different opinions on this, and as long as he is the coach, he has the final say. We all agree on that.

If it's clearly favoritism, just fire his ass 😉

Luc

To be good you have to work hard. To be better, you have to work harder. To be great, you have to keep working when the good ones stop.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6
Share: