Notifications
Clear all

May have to Fire an AC

Page 6 / 6

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Just like parents meetings coaches should be required to attend meetings.  I can tell you how many times we see guys coaching who, regardless of best intentions, have no structure or format to their practices.  If parents dont come to my meeting I put an asterisk by their sons name just in case they decide to start questioning everything I do.  I would do the same for coaches who dont come to manditory meetings.

Do I butt heads with the Board sometimes but its never because I wish to walk to my own agenda inspite of the rules.

I did not have any "Assistant Coaches" this season to mentor.  Personally I prefer to have Coaches who dont have kids on the team so there are no conflicts regarding who plays where and how much. 

Winning is a RESULT of Confidence, hard work, hustle, and cumulative effort.  Anyone who believes winning is anything but a result is simply wrong in my book.

I have witnessed entire staffs and 1/2 a team getting replaced because of a failure to Win. I have witnessed an entire program who measures their teams based on Undefeated Seasons any blemishes to that and kids are disdained.  I witnessed that same program lose 2 Championship games and wondered what kind of arse chewing the kids were getting because the FAILED. Thats how bad adults and their expectations of young boys can get.

I have wintessed a HS header, while in another youth program bash everyone but himself for a loss in a play off game.  The Ground was too hard, the grass was cut too low, the score board sucked.  I heard him say as much to his kids and parents and then turned to us and said how does it feel to know these kids lost because of your field.  I simply retored if you had done as we suggested and Coached them during the game instead bitching at us the entire game, so much so that the Police came to the scoring booth, maybe you would have won. The parents actually applauded that statement. 

As long as I am around I wont allow that mentality to creep in on our program.     

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Just like parents meetings coaches should be required to attend meetings.

I was in a program where you'd get a text the day before saying, "Mandatory meeting at Dunkin' Donuts at 6:00 PM tomorrow."

Then the next day at 5:45 PM you'd get a text saying, "Meeting canceled."

After about five or six of those I stopped trying to go.  (Obviously, it took me a while to learn.)  Then they actually held one and wondered why I wasn't there.  So I told them.

And the "mandatory" meetings that I've seen held only ever seem to get about a third or so of the coaches, and nothing ever happens to the coaches who aren't there, so I don't think they're all that mandatory.

We had a "mandatory" meeting announced last summer the day of the meeting.  I didn't go.  When they asked me why I hadn't been there, I told them the only football meetings I go to that are announced on the day of are in the wake of a major injury, and involve organizing one or both of (a) a hospital visit, or (b) a lawsuit defense.

(In case you're wondering, I've never been part of a program that had to have a meeting for either of those reasons.)

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I was in a program where you'd get a text the day before saying, "Mandatory meeting at Dunkin' Donuts at 6:00 PM tomorrow."

Then the next day at 5:45 PM you'd get a text saying, "Meeting canceled."

After about five or six of those I stopped trying to go.  (Obviously, it took me a while to learn.)  Then they actually held one and wondered why I wasn't there.  So I told them.

And the "mandatory" meetings that I've seen held only ever seem to get about a third or so of the coaches, and nothing ever happens to the coaches who aren't there, so I don't think they're all that mandatory.

We had a "mandatory" meeting announced last summer the day of the meeting.  I didn't go.  When they asked me why I hadn't been there, I told them the only football meetings I go to that are announced on the day of are in the wake of a major injury, and involve organizing one or both of (a) a hospital visit, or (b) a lawsuit defense.

(In case you're wondering, I've never been part of a program that had to have a meeting for either of those reasons.)

I dont disagree one bit Michael but then the board gets the grief when things go down hill.  If they arent willing to say no to someone or tell them they cant because they didnt attend. If they constantly cancel or never have meetings, do you really think they are a Board at all?  I've seen grown men manhandling K/1 kids and screaming at them because they didnt do what they were told.  I saw our Header, who is a Probation Officer, clamly walk over to that guy and tell him in no uncertain terms that if even touches another kid he would slap him in cuffs and personally drag him off the field to his squad car. Thats how utterly ignorant and stupid it can get.

If the Board has no Ball or PMS as the case may be then this is the kid of crap that comes out eventually. Ours had the stones to tell 2 "Coaches" their services were no longer required in any way shape or form.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I dont disagree one bit Michael but then the board gets the grief when things go down hill.  If they arent willing to say no to someone or tell them they cant because they didnt attend. If they constantly cancel or never have meetings, do you really think they are a Board at all?  I've seen grown men manhandling K/1 kids and screaming at them because they didnt do what they were told.  I saw our Header, who is a Probation Officer, clamly walk over to that guy and tell him in no uncertain terms that if even touches another kid he would slap him in cuffs and personally drag him off the field to his squad car. Thats how utterly ignorant and stupid it can get.

If the Board has no Ball or PMS as the case may be then this is the kid of crap that comes out eventually. Ours had the stones to tell 2 "Coaches" their services were no longer required in any way shape or form.

This was always meetings of all the football coaches, not board meetings.

On the other hand, the one from this past summer doesn't even have a board as far as I know.  It's one of those "one guy" programs.  You know how those usually end up.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
Topic starter  

Sorry, been away obsessing about my 6 year baby sitting job  ::)

Thanks for the kind words guys...

My boys are having fun...and not because they carry the football, because my lineman don't (although this week we have a game that does not affect the standings, so they are going to get to). They are having fun, because they are having success, maybe not on the scoreboard so much this season, but in their individual jobs. My lineman know how to fit (load, explode, go), and they can open holes for the backs to run in. And they enjoy opening those holes...my dline know how to rip and shed, and they disrupt the offense because of it, and occasionally get flags...my backs love getting the ball, but they also love executing a fake, and have a defender pull their flag when they don't have the ball.

If they wanted to play in the grass, they would go to the park, instead, they come and hang out with me twice a week to get better at something they have fun with...I guess my response to Coach T is anything worth doing, is worth doing well...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6
Share: