Notifications

Mental Game  

RSS

GHNS-25
(@ghns-25)
Lurker
October 2, 2018 10:58 am  

I've coached our QB since he was in 2nd Grade.  He's now in 6th Grade.  He's our best player on offense and Defense.  Throws well, runs and hits hard.  He saves multiple touchdowns per game and has been our entire offense for 3+ years. 
However, he's recently become a distraction at practice.  Fooling around with his friends, not listening to coaches, saying he's not interested in QB anymore, etc.  He's become a bit of a Prima Dona.

Recently, he decided to quit but ultimately came back to the team. 

We've since relegated him to half back and have replaced him with a lesser talent QB (Although he is serviceable)

We want him to get back to his old self but are struggling to motivate him.  His behavior has improved but he seems disinterested. 

Any thoughts on how we can get him back to his old self ? 
Thanks in advance

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 2, 2018 11:05 am  

Any thoughts on how we can get him back to his old self ?Thanks in advance

This is the wrong question.
The question should be "how to get him to his new self?"  If you're asking how to get a 6th-grader back to being a 5th, 4th, 3rd, or 2nd-grader again, I doubt you'll find what you're looking for.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 2, 2018 11:09 am  

It's not uncommon for a 6th-grader who's always been The Man, to start feeling himself.  The first question you should ask yourself is what kind of a relationship do you have with him?  If you have no influence in his life, it's a little late to hope to get the genie back in the bottle.  You'll need to rely on help from someone else who has respect and influence in his life.  But if he's that important to you, then don't give up.  The young man is listening even when he's not listening.  Kids draw lines in the sand to see what they can cross and where they can't.  As long as your interaction with him is about "him the person" and not "him the Quarterback," then you'll have his ear.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
October 2, 2018 11:17 am  

he has been our entire offense for 3+ years. 
He's become a bit of a Prima Dona.

Recently, he decided to quit

he seems disinterested. 

Maybe his dad or parents are pushing him to be something he doesn't want to be

Maybe he wanted to quit and parents made him rejoin

I would have made the decision easy for him and not allowed him back.
But you can let him back and show him that there is no "real" consequences" for his actions and previous behavior.

He has been "demoted" as you say but he is still playing and coaches will feel the pressure to play him at QB or defense and play right back into his attitude from before.

I would make it easy so his parents cant talk him into coming back this year.

Sit out a year. The more y'all struggle with him on the sidelines the bigger the attitude will be when he gets back to his normal.

He would join us next year.

These are JMHO

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
October 2, 2018 11:21 am  

You should also consider what is going on in this child's life outside of football?  Problems at home? Death in the family?  Parents going through divorce or relationship issues?

How is he doing in school?  Has his performance in the classroom changed as well? 

If there really aren't any outside factors that could be impacting his behavior, then also consider how much of the spotlight has been put on him since 2nd grade. How successful has his team been in that span? How much attention and credit did he receive compared to his other teammates/friends/classmates?  If the spotlight shined brightest in his direction all those years maybe his buddies started to resent him or something and now he's trying to fit back in with them.

You're sitting there calling him a prima donna when there could be a ton of different social and emotional factors that are playing a part in his behavior.

And like Coach Potter mentioned, you've got to show an interest in THE KID, not THE QB.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 2, 2018 11:32 am  

Boobies. That's the problem.

No idea on the solution, but if anyone has it, I'm all ears.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
October 2, 2018 11:33 am  

Are you saying you want a solution?  🙁  Wait, is that even really a problem?  ;D

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 2, 2018 11:45 am  

Lar said boobies.

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
GHNS-25
(@ghns-25)
Lurker
October 2, 2018 11:52 am  

Appreciate the feedback.

Funnily enough you all hit on relevant points.

You should also consider what is going on in this child's life outside of football?  Problems at home? Death in the family?  Parents going through divorce or relationship issues?

Yes, he lost his mother when he was 4.  I always felt he held in his emotions about this.

Maybe his dad or parents are pushing him to be something he doesn't want to be

Agreed, I think his Dad enjoyed seeing him gravitate towards something which was rewarding

Sit out a year. The more y'all struggle with him on the sidelines the bigger the attitude will be when he gets back to his normal.

He would join us next year.

I think you are right

As long as your interaction with him is about "him the person" and not "him the Quarterback," then you'll have his ear.

Good point .

ReplyQuote
flosman
(@flosman)
Silver
October 2, 2018 9:53 pm  

We tell HS kids all the time, that is undefeated.

Seriously without knowing the kid we can't help you much. Heck it could be any of the things mentioned. I had a QB that did not want to be "the guy", he was really talented. But we actually had him play lber and wr for a year and he came around ended up playing QB in college.

I am also going to say something unpopular. You have to be aware that some kids a "broken" and you can't fix them. I have experienced this a couple of times. In these situations you have to learn when to cut bait. Had a rb that was a power five type guy realized he didn't give a cap about anyone but himself too late and it really hurt the team. Ultimately let him know he was done with us and guided him to transfer if he wanted to play football. I hoped it would work out for him but ultimately he is serving a 18 year sentence. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 5, 2018 5:27 am  

I've coached our QB since he was in 2nd Grade.  He's now in 6th Grade.  He's our best player on offense and Defense.  Throws well, runs and hits hard.  He saves multiple touchdowns per game and has been our entire offense for 3+ years. 
However, he's recently become a distraction at practice.  Fooling around with his friends, not listening to coaches, saying he's not interested in QB anymore, etc.  He's become a bit of a Prima Dona.

Recently, he decided to quit but ultimately came back to the team. 

We've since relegated him to half back and have replaced him with a lesser talent QB (Although he is serviceable)

We want him to get back to his old self but are struggling to motivate him.  His behavior has improved but he seems disinterested. 

Any thoughts on how we can get him back to his old self?

Go back in time.

Our interests change.  For instance, I'm no longer interested in watching football, except in relationship to coaching.  Maybe it'd be in somebody's interest to "get me back to my old self", but that ain't happening.

You wouldn't expect this person's interests to be the same at 22, so why do they have to be the same at 12?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 5, 2018 5:39 am  

Our interests change. 

You wouldn't expect this person's interests to be the same at 22, so why do they have to be the same at 12?

True enough.  I’ve known many young men who’ve “outgrown” football, regardless of their age or how talented they were.

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: