Notifications
Clear all

New Series coming in January

Page 2 / 4

CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze

I am pretty sure that this is the show my league is in talks with.  About mid-season, the league sent out an email looking for coaches and league families who would be interested in giving a behind the scenes look at youth football.  Those who responded went through an interview process and I don't know the current status.

I interpret "behind the scenes" as dirt that makes for good TV and I have no interest in it.  The preview confirms that.  I expect that the only coaches the show is interested in are the kind that have no business working with kids.  I don't see how it can be any good for youth football.  Dave's CAL program doesn't provide enough drama for the masses.

The league motivation is in fact, money.  I fear it is short sighted.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

About mid-season, the league sent out an email looking for coaches and league families who would be interested in giving a behind the scenes look at youth football.

--Robert, I'd have no problem giving someone a behind the scenes look, if that's what they really want.  But I'd also want equal time explaining what we do and why we do it.  Otherwise, it is likely that it won't be understood.  Years ago, I remember watching "Year of the Bull."  What was missing was an interview or bonus section about why the staff did what they did, because (on the surface of it, it was shocking and inexcusable).  And we don't know if the coaches were happy (or not) with the way the film was put together.  (I wouldn't be.)

I interpret "behind the scenes" as dirt that makes for good TV and I have no interest in it.  The preview confirms that.

--It certainly looks like it's headed that way.  As we already know, youth football is primed for family drama and there are many stories to tell.  But it doesn't look like they're going to tell a balanced story and anyone who's familiar with (un)"reality" television already knows they are going to look for the most controversial and ugly angles.  And if they don't already exist, the producers will create one.  Look for one of the youth headers to get fired mid-season and the producers bring in Dick Butkus to coach the team for the duration.  Practically all reality-TV shows look for the lowest common denominator or the ugliest aspects they can show (Honey Boo Boo?).  Doubt that this will be much different.  As for yelling coaches or cheering parents, I think we can already see the direction they are heading with this.  It doesn't bode well for any of us.

I expect that the only coaches the show is interested in are the kind that have no business working with kids.

--That's my concern, too.

I don't see how it can be any good for youth football.

--Or any football.  Nothing worse than a show which reinforces all of the stereotypes and negative imagery of the sport.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

In looking again at the preview, I don't see anything that is shocking or surprising.  My issue is the way the advert is put together:  The narrator says, "emotional fans" and you see a fan yelling "get the ball," "obsessed parents" and you see a woman yelling "woooooo" into a megaphone (what is obsessed about that?), and "how far would you go to make your son a champion?" is narrated over a kid running on the field.  In other words, we're not seeing anything that is outlandish but the narration tells the viewer how extreme this all is. 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Interesting article from Forbes about the show:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2013/12/27/with-friday-night-tykes-reality-tv-trains-its-eye-on-youth-football/

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Good read:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2013/05/29/how-to-become-a-better-sports-parent-stop-caring/

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

One of the producers also produced MTV's "Two a Days" and the other producer puts together the World Series of Poker on ESPN.

Interesting article about him:

http://www.bluff.com/magazine/unprecedented-wsop-behind-the-scenes-7071/

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
DANGERZONE
(@dangerzone)
Bronze

Go to Tv.esquire.com to see the first episode...

‎"I make my practices real hard ........because if a player is a quitter.....I want him to quit in practice, not in a game."
Bear Bryant / Alabama

"It's amazing what you can accomplish if enough people care" Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
akpoole
(@akpoole)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I saw some of it and wasn't too shocked at what I saw. I will sit down and watch it again tonight before I really pass judgment on it.

God created five seasons:  Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and last but definitely not least . . . FOOTBALL!!

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Alvin

Listen to the words they use with the kids.

Not all damaging words have to be curse words

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
jrob617
(@jrob617)
Copper

Here is the first episode

www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/01/exclusive-friday-night-tykes-documents-intensity-texas-youth-football-weve-got-first-episode

If hard work is the key to success, most people would rather pick the lock.
Claude Mcdonald

I have never heard of anyone stumbling on something big while sitting down.

ReplyQuote
akpoole
(@akpoole)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Alvin

Listen to the words they use with the kids.

Not all damaging words have to be curse words

I got a chance to sit down and watch it again. This time I paid more attention.  What really offended me mostly was the Jr. Broncos coach. The things he said and his tactics that he use I think could be sending the kids a bad message. I will be watching the following episodes to see where the rest of it goes. Several of my coaches and team's parents from this past season are eager to see it.

I guess it didn't faze me much because my DC for the past four seasons could have been on this show. He didn't use any curse words, but he sure could say some offensive things to the kids.  Needless to say, I'm not going to bring him back with me this season. "Philosophical differences. " ???

God created five seasons:  Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and last but definitely not least . . . FOOTBALL!!

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

Just got done watching the first episode. I was most disappointed by the Jr. Broncos Coach. I didnt like his tactics or how he carried himself. Doubly so because from looking at their website he is also the Jr. Broncos President. I am all for aggresive play but some of what he was saying and encouraging his kids to do was reckless.

Its interesting that we didnt see more of the Rockets and the Predators. It seems that their coaches may not be as fiery as those of the Broncos, Colts and Outlaws. They may actually be coaching and that might not make for as good reality TV. We'll have to see in subsequent episodes.

Very disappointed in the "coaching." Alot of poor technique. I would only hope that some of the actual coaching that these guys do was left on the cutting room floor. I also didnt like the profanity considering that they are dealing with 8 and 9 year olds. I would be less concerned if it were 13 and 14 year olds, but its really unnecessary.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

If y'all are willing to "watch and see" then they have done what they wanted in geting people to watch and they will keep it on.

I for one am not going to watch one minute of this BS

Just trying to do my part

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

If y'all are willing to "watch and see" then they have done what they wanted in geting people to watch and they will keep it on.

I for one am not going to watch one minute of this BS

Just trying to do my part

I second that.

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold

You guys, its just a show. Is it a bad idea to put it out? yes. Can it affect the good coaches? yes.

It is not that serous though. If a parent is that dam dumb to think everyone acts like what they see on tv. Than they are dumb asses anyways. I see a lot of shows on t.v.s that give you an inside look into peoples day to day at a job. It doesn't mean that I believe everyone is like what they show on tv.

Lighten up, and take it for what its worth. Another dumb ass reality show.

Helmet Decals
http://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: