Clear all

No MPP Rules

GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
Topic starter  

coaches,

our league does NOT have any MPP rules - we have 30 on our roster w some mins and a few late adds who are still green.

the defending champs have 40+ on our roster and their coaches informed ours in a meeting that they do NOT play their MPPs at all unless it's a blowout.

they said it's in their handbook that you're paying to teach your son the game, not to play in games, and that no PT is guaranteed. they said if a parent complains, they line the kid up against the 1s in practice and show the parent why johnny isn't a 1. sounds more like running the weaker kids off after collecting $500 from their parents than "teaching them football" to me but it is what it is.

it's not just that team either, seems to be status quo in our league - likely caused by teams trying to keep up with the joneses.  now i've always felt that even without those rules, i want to get PT for everyone.

but when you're playing in a league like this - where teams only play their top 20 or so out of 40-50 kids - is it a necessary evil in order to compete?

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold

coaches,

our league does NOT have any MPP rules - we have 30 on our roster w some mins and a few late adds who are still green.

the defending champs have 40+ on our roster and their coaches informed ours in a meeting that they do NOT play their MPPs at all unless it's a blowout.

they said it's in their handbook that you're paying to teach your son the game, not to play in games, and that no PT is guaranteed. they said if a parent complains, they line the kid up against the 1s in practice and show the parent why johnny isn't a 1. sounds more like running the weaker kids off after collecting $500 from their parents than "teaching them football" to me but it is what it is.

it's not just that team either, seems to be status quo in our league - likely caused by teams trying to keep up with the joneses.  now i've always felt that even without those rules, i want to get PT for everyone.

but when you're playing in a league like this - where teams only play their top 20 or so out of 40-50 kids - is it a necessary evil in order to compete?

We don't have MPP rules in our league and it has been my experience that teams usually just play their top 15 players or so and the others don't see the field until the game is no longer in question.  I feel like if a kid shows up to practice and gives an honest effort and tries to do what he is taught, he ought to see some playing time.  Do I think we might be more competitive if I only played my top players?  Maybe, but I have watched teams in our organization do just that and achieve no better results than I have.  With all that said, it easier for me to do that with 20 - 25 kids that I normally have than with 40 - 50 you described.  I am as competitive as the next guy, but for me it is just the right thing to do. 

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

coaches,

Im surprised these Orgs roll with 40-50 kids. Why not two teams?

I took over a Team in a League I had never coached in before. They had a 5 play minimum play rule and all Teams were around 40 players.

After I got my ass handed to me for a few weeks I figured out what my opponents were doing....full two platoon. I had just finished a stint coaching HS ball and they were full two platoon so I knew what to do immediately and I went all in. We won the next 30 games in a row or so.

I now miss those days. Currently the Planets would have to align perfectly for us to ever get close to 30 kids again ( different league ).

When it comes to large rosters....nothing says I love all my players equally than a full two platoon system.

I'd do that if I were you....or at least an 80- 90% two platoon. You'd be surprised at the results. Any time every practice is full D and every day is full O with unique starters on both sides of the football....you WILL OUT PREFORM your opponent.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
Topic starter  

I feel like if a kid shows up to practice and gives an honest effort and tries to do what he is taught, he ought to see some playing time.

this is my philosophy as well. but trying to take a team from the bottom to the top in a league where the other coaches do not share this philosophy is definitely challenging.

week 1 we were able to win and get everyone at least SOME PT, though not quite as much as i'd hoped. hopefully we can keep that rolling.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
Topic starter  

Im surprised these Orgs roll with 40-50 kids. Why not two teams?

good ? mike. my take - bc it's much easier for them to make a "super team" of the best 15-20 kids out of 50 as opposed to having to develop some of your mins into actual contributors.

if you're putting the kids first, i just can't see how you'd let the roster get to 50 (even 40) without splitting. but based on their philosophy, i don't know that "kids first" is the mentality. at least that's what i gather form the info i have.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
Topic starter  

After I got my ass handed to me for a few weeks I figured out what my opponents were doing....full two platoon. I had just finished a stint coaching HS ball and they were full two platoon so I knew what to do immediately and I went all in. We won the next 30 games in a row or so.

I now miss those days. Currently the Planets would have to align perfectly for us to ever get close to 30 kids again ( different league ).

When it comes to large rosters....nothing says I love all my players equally than a full two platoon system.

I'd do that if I were you....or at least an 80- 90% two platoon. You'd be surprised at the results. Any time every practice is full D and every day is full O with unique starters on both sides of the football....you WILL OUT PREFORM your opponent.

mike - i LOVE the 80-90% platoon idea. only issue for me is i simply don't have the ACs  🙁

i have only one truly quality AC and bc of his work schedule, he's typically there only 1-2x per week and is going to be out of town for a month from mid-october - november ???

my other ACs are bag holders / dad helpers who are great guys and coming along nicely but not even close to being able to run either side of the ball or the other. honestly, have a hard enough time getting them to run their indy drills the way we want them to be run.

honestly after having 14 on our roster last year, wasn't prepared for 30 (was hoping for 25!) and wasn't thinking about platooning. my mistake. going to have to do a MUCH better job of assembling a top notch staff in the offseason and prepare for a similarly sized squad last year.

ReplyQuote
Share: