Notifications
Clear all

Oh the times they are a changing.

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

one of our 2 remaining teams season was cut short after 2 practices.   Folks we have gone from as many as 195 kids down to 1 team of mixed 5th and 6th graders 20 kids).  7th -8th Grade team collapsed after 2 practices 4 kids quitting to play fall baseball instead.  Cant even think about starting a season with 11 players.  Just not sustainable.  Cant find a Dad to volunteer to coach the 4th grade flag team so that will be done as well.   

Most of the Tackle kids were accepted onto a team about 12 miles away.  That brings their roster to 26 or 27.  At least most will get to play! 

When kids numbers dwindle our cash flow decreases exponentially. Now we add Refunds for 20 plus kids.  With costs being what they are we aren't recovering expenditures for reconditioning, pads, equipment, not to mention all the support equipment to maintain the field and practice gear.   

Unless we merge with another town we are all but done.  Sad

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Oh, I get it.  We're the 17th largest high school (enrollment) in the state.  We have 60+ kids to field a Varsity and Junior Varsity team.  It's slim.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @youth-coach

What's sad is Flex Football will swoop in and ruin the game once and for all. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

We talked about Flex went over like a turd in a punchbowl.  Right now I'll take it!   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Posted by: @mahonz

In some areas, it's already ruined long before flex got involved.

Without going into details, my old league had a problem with competitive balance. Since many parents felt that "the fix was in", they wouldn't let their kids play.

This year, there might not be enough for an 11-on-11 rec league there, as some of the coaches decided to split and form a travel ball league. Flex might be all they have the numbers for. If we hadn't moved, I'd probably be pushing them to do 8-man rather than Flex, but I'm not sure I could have sold it.

That's sad. Many of those kids could be great football players. Instead, they'll just be playing Fortnite.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

Without going into details, my old league had a problem with competitive balance. Since many parents felt that "the fix was in", they wouldn't let their kids play.

I don't get it.  Why do parents even care about the team/s W/L record?  Why won't they just let them play?  It's as if the kid can't participate unless the cards are already stacked in their favor.  When I was a kid, we never ever heard parents discussing the W/L record of a youth team.  The discussion was about what sports their kids participated in.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coachdp
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

I don't get it.  Why do parents even care about the team/s W/L record?  Why won't they just let them play?  It's as if the kid can't participate unless the cards are already stacked in their favor.  When I was a kid, we never ever heard parents discussing the W/L record of a youth team.  The discussion was about what sports their kids participated in.

--Dave

Why get on a team and be willing pay your share of $25K to go play in a Tournament in Florida every December? Parents are nuts. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@coachdp You'll have to ask them. All I was told was competitive balance was a problem.

I came to the conclusion that the bigger they are, the harder they fall. I'm teaching my sons to embrace challenges. That's why all of us -- especially me -- are working to get better this summer. 

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver

Well we have a little different problem. We are used to 36 kids signing up in our age group. We had 54. So we struggled getting a 3rd coaching staff. It took a week, but it happened. Now we all have teams of 18. lots of playing time to go around. Anybody do the USA coaching modules this year? OMG - it took forever. 

We are seeing the rise of 7 on 7 leagues in the off-season and they getting serious. My son is a senior QB this year and he tells me its a completely different feel from Traditional football, because the "power" aspect is removed in favor of the quickness. 

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
Share: