Notifications

Players fighting amongst each other  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Wildcat53
(@wildcat53)
Lurker
July 27, 2018 4:37 am  

We have  5 players who are going to cause issues at different points throughout our season. We are expecting to have a really good year. We have 3 players who are just going to argue and fight with each other and apparently a set of brothers who want to fight among themselves. We want to nip it in the bud early on as we just went through voluntary conditioning. We told them we can’t beat another team when a third of our team is trying to kill each other and then told them we would make their time miserable if they couldn’t get along. Head coach and another assistant coach want to run them. I just feel like running is going to do very little for them.

What do you do for player discipline?

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
July 27, 2018 4:48 am  

Well, I think it depends what they are fighting about....and how are they "fighting"?

A few years back I was coaching on a select team, an olineman and dlineman got into it after a rep, throwing fists at each other...we made them run and hold hands at the same time...

Current team...I have occasional jawing at each other, I will let that go, depending on the content...I may step in and let them know if they don't want the other guy jawing at him, he should take care of it between the whistles and within the confines of the rules...

I also have had some weird "fights", for no apprent reason than one of the kids got bored...so I gave him an OSI (opportunity for self improvement)...my OSIs are not fun, they are hard, no one wants an OSI...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
July 27, 2018 4:54 am  

Put them against each other in board drills, tackling drills, tug of war and any other productive physical competition you can think of and let them fight it out between the snap and whistle.  Ag it on.  Either they get it out of their system, one will be dominant or you will have a couple good linebacker prospects.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 27, 2018 5:13 am  

As long as it's an even fight and not one kid bullying another, I will make them skip (literally) a lap holding hands. The second time, I will make each them hug each other, face to face for a couple of minutes. Never had a 3rd time.

My biggest problem with fights is that it sometimes (not always) goes against our "family" culture. If it's two guys who love each other, but just having a moment . . . no big deal. Let them get it out of their system as long as it's not disrupting practice.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 27, 2018 5:39 am  

Force them to work together or sit the bench together whatever works.

I. Use the seal log for this

Get heaviest tackle dummy have them hold it over head facing each other on each end. Who ever gives up first loses.

This will bring something special out of any conflict

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 27, 2018 6:35 am  

We had an awesome culture back in 09. Kids loved each other and gave everything they had. Great team that was crazy competitive during practice. An ot and de didn't like each other though. Two very physical kids with very different personalities. They got in a few fights in practice. We wondered if it might be a problem. Game two the ot was cheap shotted and got knocked on his ass. The de who he fights with ran over and helped him up. 3rd quarter the de obliterates the kid that made the cheap hit. Game was already in mercy rule. 15 yard penalty and we pulled the kid to see what that was all about. Kid said he had to let that kid know that nobody does that to one of his team mates. Was it the best way for the player to handle that, no. It did let us know that even though these kids fought constantly that there was a bond that was much more important than their individual differences.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 27, 2018 6:37 am  

My point is that often coaches make a bigger deal about these things than they really are. Sure you can't allow fighting but I bet on game day it works itself out.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
July 27, 2018 6:37 am  

I'll use Dave P's analogy.  You Want in, Get In.  Of course if the BS is not related to Football, then sit em.  Pair them at Sumo, Towel Drill, and Whose Ball

Winner is King for the Day! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 27, 2018 8:53 pm  

We want to nip it in the bud

--Why?

We told them we can’t beat another team when a third of our team is trying to kill each other

--Actually, you can.  And whether teammates get along, dont get along, like each other, hate each other or want to fight each other has no impact on whether you win games.  I've seen teams who got along famously with each other and were also lousy.

and then told them we would make their time miserable if they couldn’t get along.

--You're wasting your time over something that's only an issue because you're making it one.

Head coach and another assistant coach want to run them.

--Good grief....what are you afraid of?

I just feel like running is going to do very little for them.

--And you would be right.

--Fighting has nothing to do with "player discipline."  Fighting has to do with fighting.  Too many coaches worry about senseless aspects like what to do if a player cries, how do I address an angry parent, how do I stop my players from fighting...

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 28, 2018 10:06 am  

We want to nip it in the bud

--Why?

We told them we can’t beat another team when a third of our team is trying to kill each other

--Actually, you can.  And whether teammates get along, dont get along, like each other, hate each other or want to fight each other has no impact on whether you win games.  I've seen teams who got along famously with each other and were also lousy.

and then told them we would make their time miserable if they couldn’t get along.

--You're wasting your time over something that's only an issue because you're making it one.

Head coach and another assistant coach want to run them.

--Good grief....what are you afraid of?

I just feel like running is going to do very little for them.

--And you would be right.

--Fighting has nothing to do with "player discipline."  Fighting has to do with fighting.  Too many coaches worry about senseless aspects like what to do if a player cries, how do I address an angry parent, how do I stop my players from fighting...

And if winning were the only thing, I'd agree w you.  But like it or not, we're doing this not just to win games, but also to baby-sit.

The players are there because the parents pay for them to be there.  They won't if it's not an orderly environment, or if you let the players do things they wouldn't let them do.  For most parents, if they had a cheaper choice that'd satisfy the kids, they'd take it.  It's the kids who want to play football, the parents don't care much whether it's football or music camp.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 28, 2018 11:09 am  

And if winning were the only thing, I'd agree w you. 

—Who said anything about winning?  You’re inventing something that you think I said.  Fighting (from anger) neither helps nor hinders winning or losing.

MmBut like it or not, we're doing this not just to win games, but also to baby-sit.

—Your point?

The players are there because the parents pay for them to be there. 

—Gee, I never knew that Bob.  Thanks for enlightening me.  And here I thought the players paid for their registration fee.

They won't if it's not an orderly environment, or if you let the players do things they wouldn't let them do.

—Like a lot of things Bob, you’re wrong on both counts.  1) You’re insinuating that fighting and an orderly environment cannot coexist.  Perhaps at your practices, they can’t.  2) I don’t have parents who allow their kids to tackle others outside of football practice, and yet they allow us to do that here.

—Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 28, 2018 5:15 pm  

Do you deliberately put the quote tags in the wrong places to make it hard to quote you?

Who said anything about winning?

You.  Not only you but another poster too, but the important thing is you did.

You’re inventing something that you think I said.

No, I didn't.  You even quoted yourself on it:

Fighting (from anger) neither helps nor hinders winning or losing.

And you wrote the same thing in response to another poster, if if winning or losing was the only thing he cared about.  He didn't write that, you did.

We told them we can’t beat another team when a third of our team is trying to kill each other.

He wrote that.  He didn't say that was his opinion, just something he told the players to try to get them to stop.

I don’t have parents who allow their kids to tackle others outside of football practice, and yet they allow us to do that here.

That's right, they allow you to do that.  They don't allow you do just anything with the kids.  Don't be a smart-ass by turning a statement about what the parents would allow into what they'd allow them to do in the living room.

You’re insinuating that fighting and an orderly environment cannot coexist.  Perhaps at your practices, they can’t.

No, they can't, and I'd have to say that if they can coexist at your practices, you're doing something wrong.  How can they practice while fighting?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 28, 2018 7:27 pm  

Do you deliberately put the quote tags in the wrong places to make it hard to quote you?

I hit the "quote" button.  Works pretty well.  ::)

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 28, 2018 7:31 pm  

No, they can't, and I'd have to say that if they can coexist at your practices, you're doing something wrong.

--Actually, we're doing something right because it doesn't interfere with our practices.

How can they practice while fighting?

--How do they practice when they're talking?  Do you allow talking at practice?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 28, 2018 8:04 pm  

We allow talking if it doesn't distract them.  What kind of fighting do your players do that doesn't distract them?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: