Players/Pre-Season Action Plan  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 21, 2019 2:01 am  

Right now I am in the middle of what I refer to as our Pre-Season Action Plan, where I meet with my players and their parents.  I've had 3 meetings so far with 3 more scheduled this week.  I will have the last 2 next week.  One thing that I discovered during the course of conversations was why 2 of my RBs decided to focus on this one position, when both were Linebackers last year, and LB is a position where we are the thinnest.  In our offense, we only have the 1 RB position, with 5 Varsity Backs vying for the one spot.  Playing time is a priority for each of them, and you can certainly see the disappointment in their eyes when they don't get as much field time as they like, especially in our pre-season scrimmages.  One of the RBs is 2nd on the depth chart and the other is 5th.  I wondered why 2 of the players (a Sr. and a Jr.) would come over to take on an overcrowded position where we already had good depth, as opposed to continue playing a LB position where they would get more time on the field and already knew the coaches on that side of the ball.  (Keep in mind, that I don't use my "if you want in, get in" approach here at MCHS. They have a standardized rotation.  If you're 5th on the depth chart, you're 5th on the depth chart.)  In June, they were both splitting practice time between RB and LB, but they've both been exclusively at RB since July.  As one player said, "It's not that I didn't like defense, but I like how you coach the RB position, keep the coach-speak to a minimum, and keep us all busy.  Especially when there's 8 of us all trying to get reps." 

My point is this, kids want to play.  But they also want an environment where they feel like they are valued and can learn, where you keep the chit-chat and horseplay to a minimum and are kept busy with challenging, new or varied drills.  Create your own atmosphere.  These guys didn't know me from a hole in the wall.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 21, 2019 7:14 am  

But they also want an environment where they feel like they are valued and can learn, where you keep the chit-chat and horseplay to a minimum

As well as keep the tomfoolery and hijinks to "zero".  😀

In all seriousness, that is powerful, Dave. I sincerely hope that your header recognizes the tremendous asset he has rather than perceive you as a threat. As I mentioned in our Fall Season thread, I had 2 8 year olds tell me out of the blue that I'm their favorite coach. I've been on cloud 9 ever since. I'll know I've arrived when I have players who will sacrifice playing time to be in my position group. HIGH SCHOOL players who may be thinking about playing college ball.

Of course, I'd probably encourage them to at least split time with the defense, but whatever.

We have a kid that I caught myself giving up on. He has zero energy. His shoulders are perpetually slumped. He rarely pays attention. In short, he gives the impression that he'd rather be just about anywhere else. So I was quick to put him in that "bucket" and move on. Then, I realized that I am here for him, not the other way around. So for a couple of days now, I find him before and after practice or during water breaks. I take a knee so I'm looking him in the eye and just ask him how he's doing, if he's having fun, then I tell him I'm glad he's with us. Then, he lights up, smiles and I know that he wants to be here, but he just doesn't fit MY mold of how a football player carries himself. Baby steps, and we'll turn him into a football player when HE's ready.

Big thanks to all of my mentors (too many to mention) for teaching me the value of impacting lives.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 21, 2019 7:45 am  

Of course, I'd probably encourage them to at least split time with the defense, but whatever.

--I've told both to do whatever they think they can do to help the team and get on the field.  I've also talked several times to their coaches, so that they didn't think that I've recruited their players.

Then, I realized that I am here for him, not the other way around.

--Bingo!  I tell their parents the same thing: "I am a resource for you and an advocate for your son."

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 22, 2019 8:55 am  

Had 2 more meetings, last night.  Both went very well.  One with a dad who played in the NFL for 7 years.  Very hands-off guy, his son is the type of young man everyone wants to coach (yes sir, no sir, listens, always gives great effort, no shenanigans).  The other was at a player's home where the mom wanted to show me pics of her son when he was little.  lol  She showed me his halloween outfit when he went out as Scooby Doo.  She said he used to hate going to practice and she had to push him out the door to go.  She said something's different this year (he's only missed one practice).  Coaches have told he he was habitually absent in the past.  Hmmm....

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: