RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 4, 2018 11:06 am  

I think i am frustrated at myself.

If you've realized that, then I move you to the front of the "Coaching Self-Awareness 101" class.  If you don't mind looking in the mirror, then you are well on your way to great things.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 4, 2018 11:14 am  

They are not game ready, they freeze, literally freeze.  Same thing used to happen in practice, but they have grown past that.

Best way to get them game ready is to get them in the game.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
October 4, 2018 11:15 am  

This is good stuff and maybe the main concern about the frustration.  I think i am frustrated at myself.  I see these kids at practice every day and they are good kids that deserve to play.

I would buy you a beer!  You get it man!  The sport needs more coaches like you, that can put ego aside and grow as a coach.  I look forward to hearing more about these kids! 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 4, 2018 11:38 am  

I'll say this, though. Every situation is different, so there's no "one size fits all" answer. You mold your playing time policy around your particular environment. Tbmckie, in our OP, you said that your league is structured like a rec league. That could mean many things, but it suggests that the goal of the league is fun (recreation) and perhaps geared toward development. You're the best judge of that.

The important thing is that you make your playing time policy clear to the parents BEFORE the season starts, whatever that may be. It also helps to give the players a clear path to increased playing time. It won't eliminate the complaints, but it will reduce them. It will also give you a position that you can defend if/when the complaints do come.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
October 4, 2018 12:29 pm  

In coaching youth and high school for over 20 years I have no regrets about any games that I have lost.  But I still have regrets about not giving certain kids ample playing time because I was afraid of losing.

Right now, I am coaching a frosh/soph team with three morons who want to win at all costs.  I coach the offense and have nothing to do with the defense or special teams.  We have close to fifty on our roster, these guys never sub anyone in on defense.  So I work in about 17 skill guys on offense every game because they are great kids and deserve to play.  Anyways, we are 5-1 and the other coaches didn't want me to have control of the substitutions on offense after the one loss.  I stood my ground and the varsity head coach sided with me.  What's worse is these guys know nothing, can't teach blocking or tackling, do not know schemes, and have only one season of coaching each.  Playing the most talented kids is their only strategy. 

I shed being afraid to lose a long time ago and now just sub based on what I feel is right.  I pretty much know exactly how I am going to sub prior to the game, once that is thought out, then I try to win the game.  Not the other way around.

ReplyQuote
tbmckie
(@tbmckie)
Copper
October 4, 2018 12:44 pm  

In coaching youth and high school for over 20 years I have no regrets about any games that I have lost.  But I still have regrets about not giving certain kids ample playing time because I was afraid of losing.

Right now, I am coaching a frosh/soph team with three morons who want to win at all costs.  I coach the offense and have nothing to do with the defense or special teams.  We have close to fifty on our roster, these guys never sub anyone in on defense.  So I work in about 17 skill guys on offense every game because they are great kids and deserve to play.  Anyways, we are 5-1 and the other coaches didn't want me to have control of the substitutions on offense after the one loss.  I stood my ground and the varsity head coach sided with me.  What's worse is these guys know nothing, can't teach blocking or tackling, do not know schemes, and have only one season of coaching each.  Playing the most talented kids is their only strategy. 

I shed being afraid to lose a long time ago and now just sub based on what I feel is right.  I pretty much know exactly how I am going to sub prior to the game, once that is thought out, then I try to win the game.  Not the other way around.

I am experiencing the same type of culture.  With no playing requirements, the feedback i get from other coaches is dont play them and dont worry about it, we need to win.  I have just now realized that is my struggle, my internal struggle.  The competitor in me says yes, but my heart says no.  I cant go against my heart bc I will carry the struggle with me daily.  The competitor in me comes and goes, my heart does not. 

ReplyQuote
tbmckie
(@tbmckie)
Copper
October 4, 2018 12:47 pm  

So I work in about 17 skill guys on offense every game because they are great kids and deserve to play.  Anyways, we are 5-1 and the other coaches didn't want me to have control of the substitutions on offense after the one loss.  I stood my ground and the varsity head coach sided with me.  What's worse is these guys know nothing, can't teach blocking or tackling, do not know schemes, and have only one season of coaching each.  Playing the most talented kids is their only strategy. 

on another note, where did these clowns come from. 

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
October 4, 2018 12:49 pm  

For all I know they crawled out of someone's ass, I only got three weeks left with them.  Thank God.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 4, 2018 1:02 pm  

the feedback i get from other coaches is dont play them and dont worry about it, we need to win.

Which is why you should be coaching the heck out of those kids, so that they can get out on the field and help you win.

The attitude shouldn’t be, “I’m not a win-at-all-costs” coach, so I’m going to play them even if they cost us, because their playing time is more important than winning.  The attitude should be, “They can’t help us if they don’t play.  So it’s my responsibility to coach them up so that they can contribute to our success.”

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: