Notifications

Ref Crisis  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
September 24, 2018 9:21 am  

Our league has been threatening to do this for a long time. Not allow parents beyond the parking lot.

We need this. Badly. Our parents crowd our sidelines. Especially during our game.

ReplyQuote
bayoubengal
(@bayoubengal)
Bronze
September 24, 2018 12:23 pm  

Our fans are 9 feet behind our bench. So now you have 200 or so people on your own sideline....literally. Add to that it is every Fans Football God given right to complain about Refs. In our atmosphere the Refs hear everything. 

They have not.

we generally play in High school stadiums, but this weekend we played at a middle school field which had no stands on the visitor sidelines. so we had parents 10 feet behind us all day. long story short I got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike due to a parent disagreeing with what was really a terrible call (all unsportsmanlike calls go to the HC, after 2 you're ejected).... ref admitted later he thought it was someone on the coaching staff but too late at that point.....so after a false start, a phantom holding penalty on a 20 yd run, and the unsportsmanlike from that penalty we were staring at 1st and 40 ::)

and no happy ending here we had to punt

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 24, 2018 12:42 pm  

We need this. Badly. Our parents crowd our sidelines. Especially during our game.

I told our FB Director that I would forfeit before I'd play a game without our fans.

Forfeits REALLY bother our League Directors.

Remove the fans and youth football is dead in 1 year.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 24, 2018 12:50 pm  

we generally play in High school stadiums, but this weekend we played at a middle school field which had no stands on the visitor sidelines. so we had parents 10 feet behind us all day. long story short I got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike due to a parent disagreeing with what was really a terrible call (all unsportsmanlike calls go to the HC, after 2 you're ejected).... ref admitted later he thought it was someone on the coaching staff but too late at that point.....so after a false start, a phantom holding penalty on a 20 yd run, and the unsportsmanlike from that penalty we were staring at 1st and 40 ::)

and no happy ending here we had to punt

Apparently there were some fandom shenanigans going on yesterday in our game that had no get back ropes so the parents are now 5 feet behind us.

Still....I didn't hear a thing. I tune them out. I was also to busy "working" our 92 year old LG whom I am fairly certain was a Ref back when I played in this League in the 1960's.

At one point we punted....Super Smurf ball so we can declare and they just move the ball and change possession.

He turns to me as the chains are moving that he is in charge of....Mike...did the Quarter change?

No George...we punted. Still the third Q

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
September 24, 2018 12:51 pm  

I don't think they have to be removed, but they absolutely should be removed from the sidelines.

Most of our games when we were in Pop Warner were played in stadiums.  It makes a world of difference.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
September 24, 2018 12:53 pm  

Apparently there were some fandom shenanigans going on yesterday in our game that had no get back ropes so the parents are now 5 feet behind us.

Still....I didn't hear a thing. I tune them out. I was also to busy "working" our 92 year old LG whom I am fairly certain was a Ref back when I played in this League in the 1960's.

At one point we punted....Super Smurf ball so we can declare and they just move the ball and change possession.

He turns to me as the chains are moving that he is in charge of....Mike...did the Quarter change?

George was reffing a game that I was scouting earlier this year.  He was mostly just wandering around confused.  The white hat put him on the line and mostly ignored him. The visitors coaches kept trying to help him keep the chain gang in order. 

I think it's about 10 years past time for George to hang up his whistle.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 24, 2018 12:54 pm  

I don't think they have to be removed, but they absolutely should be removed from the sidelines.

Most of our games when we were in Pop Warner were played in stadiums.  It makes a world of difference.

In our League....where would you put them? In the endzones?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 24, 2018 12:57 pm  

Yet, he STILL flipped the chains. I am not joking.

Other drama was when he fired the kid holding the first down marker. He told us to get a replacement. Someone pointed out that this is the home team's responsibility. He called an official timeout. White hat didn't hear it, so the play was run. He then handed the marker to the play counter (from the opposing team), who promptly dropped it and said, "I don't want that."

Despite all that, the old fart is starting to grow on me.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 24, 2018 1:02 pm  

George was reffing a game that I was scouting earlier this year.  He was mostly just wandering around confused.  The white hat put him on the line and mostly ignored him. The visitors coaches kept trying to help him keep the chain gang in order. 

I think it's about 10 years past time for George to hang up his whistle.

Agreed...but I have to admit I will miss the old man.

One season we were having an ongoing conversation...game to game.... about a cruise he and his wife took over the summer. He has 5 children....was a very successful stockbroker....is still an avid skier....used to be a HS football ref and an NCAA Basketball ref.

I hope I can motor around like he does when Im 90.  🙂

Funny story...about 10 years ago doing a Jamboree. George is taking a break and sets his chair under a tree but right next to a wild raspberry bush full of bees. I was on my cart delivering drinks to all the Officials.  I asked him if he was OK and needed a ride to move to another shady spot. He was looking quite flush as it was in the high 90's.

Oh no...Im fine...I've been stung by worse.

Alllllrighty then.  😛

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
September 24, 2018 1:03 pm  

In our League....where would you put them? In the endzones?

behind bullet proof and sound proof glass?

Its' tough to try to get stadiums for our league since most of the high schools don't have stadiums.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 24, 2018 1:09 pm  

behind bullet proof and sound proof glass?

Its' tough to try to get stadiums for our league since most of the high schools don't have stadiums.

Many moons ago they actually had seating at Long Lake....not sure what happened there.

You'd think that the League would have addressed this long before you or I showed up.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 24, 2018 1:20 pm  

Yet, he STILL flipped the chains. I am not joking.

Other drama was when he fired the kid holding the first down marker. He told us to get a replacement. Someone pointed out that this is the home team's responsibility. He called an official timeout. White hat didn't hear it, so the play was run. He then handed the marker to the play counter (from the opposing team), who promptly dropped it and said, "I don't want that."

Despite all that, the old fart is starting to grow on me.

He was doing a game where we were up 50-0 at the half...and he is yelling at me for being 3 feet onto the field yelling at the kids what to do since I have Centers playing RB and CB's playing OG.

One more time Coach and its 15 yards!

George...buddy...I am in mass sub players anywhere everywhere mode and have to organize them or we score 100 !

Oh...OK...that's reasonable...do you need to get our there even further?

Another one...during our first game this year.

Down 32-0 with maybe 5 plays left in the game...our O is on the field...

George...If I use all 3 of my TO's now would you flag me?

Why yes Mike I would since we are over our time limit already

But George.....I have an idea I want to put in.

Buddy you ran out of ideas two scores ago

Hard to argue with that logic.  >:(

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: