Clear all

Strategies to get more Girls into Football

Page 2 / 2

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Posted by: @gumby_in_co
Posted by: @bob-goodman

There'd be competition specifically for them at older ages.  (There are women's teams, because the players are old enough to commute to practice in metro areas, so even with the few who want to play they can assemble teams.)  

If we're talking about girls/women's football leagues, then this is a completely different narrative. OP was talking about what could be done to get girls into football to help with declining numbers. I assumed we were talking about recruiting girls to play football with boys. To be clear, I'm not against someone else recruiting girls. I personally won't do it for the 2 reasons I mentioned above, one being that they will rarely make it through middle school.

Then what was your purpose in bringing up the "brick wall" in our previous post?  I don't think its existence is a deterrent against girls playing at younger ages than that.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

There'd be competition specifically for them at older ages.  (There are women's teams, because the players are old enough to commute to practice in metro areas, so even with the few who want to play they can assemble teams.)  

If we're talking about girls/women's football leagues, then this is a completely different narrative. OP was talking about what could be done to get girls into football to help with declining numbers. I assumed we were talking about recruiting girls to play football with boys. To be clear, I'm not against someone else recruiting girls. I personally won't do it for the 2 reasons I mentioned above, one being that they will rarely make it through middle school.

Then what was your purpose in bringing up the "brick wall" in our previous post?  I don't think its existence is a deterrent against girls playing at younger ages than that.

I do see it as a deterrent. Where I coach, if all goes according to plan, you pick up a new team in 2nd grade and stay with them through 8th.  In hockey, skilled girls will typically play with the boys until 14U (2 year age divisions), where checking is introduced. At 12U, the girls are often dominant because a 12 year old girl is often bigger and more physically mature than a 12 year old boy. The script is flipped at 14U and girls go from being dominant to a non-factor almost overnight. At 16U, it's no longer safe for a girl to play with the boys. But with hockey, these skilled girls often play 1 season with the boys at 14U, then the next season play girls hockey.  No such option in football.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I do see it as a deterrent. Where I coach, if all goes according to plan, you pick up a new team in 2nd grade and stay with them through 8th.  In hockey, skilled girls will typically play with the boys until 14U (2 year age divisions), where checking is introduced. At 12U, the girls are often dominant because a 12 year old girl is often bigger and more physically mature than a 12 year old boy. The script is flipped at 14U and girls go from being dominant to a non-factor almost overnight. At 16U, it's no longer safe for a girl to play with the boys. But with hockey, these skilled girls often play 1 season with the boys at 14U, then the next season play girls hockey.  No such option in football.

So where you coach, kids don't want to play a sport at ages 8-12 unless they think they'll also be playing it beyond that age?  Like at 8 YO they or their parents are already thinking about their sports "career"?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

So where you coach, kids don't want to play a sport at ages 8-12 unless they think they'll also be playing it beyond that age?  Like at 8 YO they or their parents are already thinking about their sports "career"?

No idea and don't care. I have no idea what point you're trying to drive home and I've lost interest in trying to figure it out.

No, I have no problem with girls playing football, but no, I will not go out of my way to recruit them.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

No idea and don't care. I have no idea what point you're trying to drive home and I've lost interest in trying to figure it out.

No, I have no problem with girls playing football, but no, I will not go out of my way to recruit them.

Same here.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_coI have no problem with girls playing football, but no, I will not go out of my way to recruit them.

That's me too.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

I have seen it work at the younger ages but it doesn't work when they get older. I had a girl on my team 3 out of the last 5 seasons...all at the freshman HS level. They were all troopers and made it through the season but they weren't successful. They simply weren't physically capable of doing anything that could help our football team.

I'm sure there is a unicorn out there somewhere but....

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

FWIW, I would be 100% behind a girls football league. I would probably even volunteer to coach it.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

they will rarely make it through middle school.

Whether or not a boy/ girl goes on to play H.School ball, I want kids to look back fondly on their football experience and become fans, if not players.   One day those kids will be voting tax-payers, and the game may need their support for a new field, or millage for a new sports complex in their community for future generations to be able to play the game.  As a coach, I may be the best ambassador for our sport that future tax-paying voter may ever meet. 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

FWIW, I would be 100% behind a girls football league. I would probably even volunteer to coach it.

I've advocated for girl's wrestling teams for decades, we're finally seeing girls get their own divisions.  I'd love to see girls teams in football, as well.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: