Notifications

This is really starting to bug me.  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
May 17, 2018 7:11 am  

My son constantly loses his focus out in right field so me and his mom and even her boy friend are always yelling out to the outfield for our son to be ready in between pitches. Sometimes even the other parents on the team do it for us if we are slacking, lol.

So he is supposed to be ready all the time yet you and his mom sometimes slack about what you consider your duty?

And the best solution you've come up with is to constantly yell at him to be ready?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
May 17, 2018 7:12 am  

My son constantly loses his focus out in right field so me and his mom and even her boy friend are always yelling out to the outfield for our son to be ready in between pitches. Sometimes even the other parents on the team do it for us if we are slacking, lol.

As a baseball coach, I often move my outfielders around during at-bats.  Sometimes, the kids will come in and say, "why did you move me over a couple of steps and then move me back?"  I can't really tell them that the reason is that I need them to be paying attention.  😀

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
May 17, 2018 7:17 am  

This statement makes it abundantly clear why you are having these problems.

How so?

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
May 17, 2018 7:17 am  

So he is supposed to be ready all the time yet you and his mom sometimes slack about what you consider your duty?

And the best solution you've come up with is to constantly yell at him to be ready?

By slacking I mean saying it right away(the other parents saying anything has only happened a couple times by the way) and we don't do it every play. Just when he is clearly not ready. We don't yell at him, as in, in anger. We yell from the stands because our voice has to carry out to right field. It is his job to make sure he is ready but we just remind him when he might be losing focus.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 17, 2018 7:20 am  

How so?

Not going to answer for him, but I will give you my answer...everyone is different, adults included, you have to know your audience...how EACH boy you coach needs to be taught. Whether you believe the kid has a medical condition or is just a jerk, you obviously have to approach him differently that the other kids, essentially, what you are doing right now isn't working, why not try something else.

Again, Love the boy, coach him up, talk to the parents.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 17, 2018 7:21 am  

As a baseball coach, I often move my outfielders around during at-bats.  Sometimes, the kids will come in and say, "why did you move me over a couple of steps and then move me back?"  I can't really tell them that the reason is that I need them to be paying attention.  😀

By the way, this is genius...consider it stolen...

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
May 17, 2018 7:31 am  

Not going to answer for him, but I will give you my answer...everyone is different, adults included, you have to know your audience...how EACH boy you coach needs to be taught. Whether you believe the kid has a medical condition or is just a jerk, you obviously have to approach him differently that the other kids, essentially, what you are doing right now isn't working, why not try something else.

Again, Love the boy, coach him up, talk to the parents.

Let me say this because I think some are under the impression that I’m upset with this kid or going after him for having ADD or something like that. 

My statement that I coach every kid the same means that I’m holding them to the same standards that everyone else on the team is held to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes I do understand that all kids are different and require differ approaches. So if I gave the impression that's not the case, than that’s my mistake for not being more clear.

I will say it again, my issue is with the parents not the child.  This is because they believe I shouldn’t correct the player or discipline him because of his condition.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 17, 2018 7:54 am  

And not trying to be a rick with a p...

but...

They disagree with your approach to their son...perhaps because they see it is not effective.

Communication is key, my boy with whatever it is he has, I forget what mom said it was, because it is not really relevant, I could sit there all practice and say Timmy, Timmy, Timmy, TIMMY, TIMMMMYYY...until my voice is hoarse and I am red in the face, or...

I can use different techniques to keep him grounded and focused. I will admit some days, there is no grounding him, he is bouncing off of everything, looking at every cloud and plane and blade of grass....because they are just so dang interesting. Some of the techniques I use to keep him focused and on task, I got....

wait for it....

talking to his parents and asking them what works for them...

OKay, reading back over it....maybe I am being a prick, but that's me 🙂

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
May 17, 2018 8:07 am  

I will say it again, my issue is with the parents not the child.  This is because they believe I shouldn’t correct the player or discipline him because of his condition.

Have you left any room to consider that perhaps their issue is your approach, ie the WAY you are correcting / disciplining him, as opposed to the simple fact that you are doing so?

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
May 17, 2018 8:18 am  

If I have some challenges with either behavior or connecting with a particular player, I ask the parents if there is a particular method of learning that their child gravitates to.  They know their child better than I do and if they have found a way to make that happen, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. 

Of course, if their answer is something like bribing the kid with ice cream, then we may have an issue. 

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 17, 2018 8:27 am  

If I have some challenges with either behavior or connecting with a particular player, I ask the parents if there is a particular method of learning that their child gravitates to.  They know their child better than I do and if they have found a way to make that happen, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. 

Of course, if their answer is something like bribing the kid with ice cream, then we may have an issue.

I like ice cream

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
May 17, 2018 8:29 am  

I like ice cream

Who doesn't???

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
May 17, 2018 9:06 am  

Have you left any room to consider that perhaps their issue is your approach, ie the WAY you are correcting / disciplining him, as opposed to the simple fact that you are doing so?

Sure it’s possible that could be and I believe that it warrants further discussion with the parents. 

However when she initially approached  me that’s not how she explained her concerns. She made it seem that correcting him was the issue.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
May 17, 2018 9:08 am  

Sure it’s possible that could be and I believe that it warrants further discussion with the parents. 

However when she initially approached  me that’s not how she explained her concerns. She made it seem that correcting him was the issue.

That is because she let's him use it as a crutch for not behaving or listening is my guess.

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
May 17, 2018 9:11 am  

OKay, reading back over it....maybe I am being a prick, but that's me 🙂

No worries.  I’m here to learn and I wouldn’t have posted it if I wasn’t interested in what everyone’s opinions are even if they are critical. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: