Notifications

What is the Best Thing About Coaching Youth Ball?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
September 12, 2014 8:19 am  

That's not always sunshine and roses. On Sunday, I was playing men's league hockey and I looked over to see one of my former players keeping score. I remember his first practice with us in roller hockey as 7 year old. He was too scared/nervous to leave the carpeted area where you put your skates on. I watched him go from rec to competitive to HS hockey and now, I see him working his first job as a scorekeeper at the local rink.

Me:  "Hey Dylan! How's it going?"
Dylan: "Pretty good coach. You really need to show more hustle or get off the ice."

Smart ass.

Awesome

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
September 12, 2014 8:22 am  

When a young man walks up to you out of the blue 5 -10 -15 years removed... calls you Coach and shakes your hand.

Yup.  This.

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 12, 2014 8:30 am  

That's not always sunshine and roses. On Sunday, I was playing men's league hockey and I looked over to see one of my former players keeping score. I remember his first practice with us in roller hockey as 7 year old. He was too scared/nervous to leave the carpeted area where you put your skates on. I watched him go from rec to competitive to HS hockey and now, I see him working his first job as a scorekeeper at the local rink.

Me:  "Hey Dylan! How's it going?"
Dylan: "Pretty good coach. You really need to show more hustle or get off the ice."

Smart ass.

LOL....oh man that was funny.  😀

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 12, 2014 8:34 am  

When a young man walks up to you out of the blue 5 -10 -15 years removed... calls you Coach and shakes your hand.

Its not why I continue to Coach because that is rare but when it does happen it puts a smile on my face for weeks.

This is a great feeling 🙂

Boys, even if I only had for one season, for whatever reason...I run into them at different school functions, and they're call out "Coach, what's up?"...ran into one boy at the High School pre-school starting fair...he stopped playing football because he had brain surgery, he's in the drama club now, but it was like we were still on the practice field, telling me about how things have been going, asking me about some of the old Dawgs 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
September 12, 2014 9:07 am  

Teaching the kids to love hitting!  🙂

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Head Coach
September 13, 2014 5:45 pm  

This:

Quote from a parent:

"I just want to thank you for everything you do for all of our  boys, but especially Reagan! You are the constant male in his life and I am so thankful for you!!"

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
8mancoachinOKLAHOMA
(@8mancoachinoklahoma)
Copper
September 17, 2014 11:40 am  

I definitely think that parents are more challenging now than ever before....Parents are always second guessing...heck, I second guess Bob and Mike Stoops all the time so its crazy to think that I will not be challenged or questioned as well.  I also think, imo, that the reasons we coach that are positive far outweigh the negatives. 

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 17, 2014 11:53 am  

Hot team moms...
Oh wait that's why Zach coaches..  😀

On this
I had a player contact my wife who is now QB for his varsity team and ask her for the "Wariiors prayer" that I had them listen to during half time of one game.
the things they will remember.
We were down to a very good team and came back in the second half and won it.
HIs High school team had lost big the week earlier and he wanted to give them the same prayer/ saying, so he did. I guess before the game cause they killed em 66-7

I thought that was cool that he would ask for something like that.

I do like the grocery store handshakes also, that never gets old.  8)

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
September 17, 2014 12:23 pm  

I coach because of kids like Andrew. Andrew was a mpp that I coached back in New Mexico when I was in the Air Force(my first HC gig). Well Andew was the smallest, most scrawniest kids on the team and coudn't tackle anyone if they let him hold on to them and fell over. But little Andew never gave up, always showed up to practice and gave it hsi all. Well one day Andrew was playing corner( Where I put my mpps back then) and the back was running his way and there was nothing between Andrew and the end zone. Well Andew dove for his legs and wrapped up and took that back down all by himself. I went freaking nuts and I have never been more proud of one of my players in my life. That is why I coach and why will coach for the rest of my life. 

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Head Coach
September 17, 2014 12:42 pm  

heck, I second guess Bob and Mike Stoops

Yea, gonna need to stop doing that... 

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Monster
(@monster)
Gold
September 17, 2014 8:57 pm  

I coach because of kids like Andrew. Andrew was a mpp that I coached back in New Mexico when I was in the Air Force(my first HC gig). Well Andew was the smallest, most scrawniest kids on the team and coudn't tackle anyone if they let him hold on to them and fell over. But little Andew never gave up, always showed up to practice and gave it hsi all. Well one day Andrew was playing corner( Where I put my mpps back then) and the back was running his way and there was nothing between Andrew and the end zone. Well Andew dove for his legs and wrapped up and took that back down all by himself. I went freaking nuts and I have never been more proud of one of my players in my life. That is why I coach and why will coach for the rest of my life.

I think I've heard this story from you a few times now and it never f###ing gets old.

As long as I keep on having experiences like that - Mine was from a player named Zack - I just can't see myself putting down the whistle.

Mission Statement: To make a genuine effort at every opportunity to help those around me build and maintain a commitment to success.

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver
September 18, 2014 7:24 am  

Had something similar happen for us in our game this past weekend. The smallest guy on my team is a young man named Ben. He's one of two 5 year olds I have on my team. He's anbout 3 ft tall and cant weight more than 40lbs. He joined us a week late and for the first few days he cried at the beginning of every practice. But we encouraged him the whole time and he's learned quite alot in just the few weeks we've had him. He rotates on the D-Line for us. In our game on Saturday he was able to penetrate the O-line and made his first tackle of the season, for a loss. You should of seen the smile on his face. He's always smiling but his grin was from ear to ear. He's always giving the coaches high fives and he just has a terrific attitude. I was worried we might lose him that first week. But he's stuck with it and with encouragement from us and a little success he's having a great time.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
September 18, 2014 9:58 am  

I think I've heard this story from you a few times now and it never f###ing gets old.

As long as I keep on having experiences like that - Mine was from a player named Zack - I just can't see myself putting down the whistle.

I am sure you have because it is my favorite personal coaching story, lol. I am hoping I have a few more Andrews on my team before I am done coaching. He was such a good kid too, always making me laugh. Anyone can coach the really good players. What I really enjoy is taking the kid who no one else believes in and making them a contributing member of the team.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: