Notifications

Yesterday I became that parent  

Page 1 / 15
  RSS

SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
April 25, 2018 5:46 am  

First baseball game of the season last night.  Kids just to rec league baseball.  His coaches aren't great.  They aren't good. But I could accept that, it is rec league.  But man I got frustrated last night watching a team get so out coached, in baseball, which I did not think was possible. 

We have a lot of inexperienced players, they need a coach yelling cut 2, cut 3, cut and hold.  Or calling out where to throw the baseball before the pitch, plays at 2, plays at any base, Jimmy if you have the ball you will have to tag the runner coming to 3rd since there is no one on 2nd.  NOTHING, kids were clueless out there.  When they did cut off drills in practice, a coach would yell cut 2, cut and hold, whatever.  In the game, nothing.  I was going nuts.  Our pitchers struggled all game, no visits to the mound.  There was no coaching going on at all.  And these guys are not planning on practices anymore.

My kid can pitch ok, he has worked with someone a bit in private, but he always pitches out of the wind up.  You cant leave your base to steal until ball crosses home plate, so no reason not to pitch from wind up if you can get the ball over the plate.  Coach makes him pitch from stretch, cant get the ball over plate any more, so they don't use him as a pitcher, he went from a top 2 pitcher for the team, to not even being able to be used as a pitcher. 

It sucked watching the other team get in game coaching and instruction, and our kids get nothing.  Gonna be a long season.  I am going to have to learn to bite my lip better than I did last night.  I did not say anything to the coaches, I believe in the 24-48 hour rule... but I was definitely bitching from the stands last night, under my breath.  I might have to ask if I can become a coach... which I don't want to do because I cannot be there full time cause I coach my other son in flag... 

Ok vent over.... I do appreciate that they take the time to coach, I just wish it would carry over to the game.  They do an ok job in practice, if they coached that game the same way they coach in practice, we would have most likely won. 

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
April 25, 2018 6:08 am  

You are in the same exact boat as me. I know your pain. I can't stand my son's baseball coach but he is terrible. So terrible that I am going to put in to be a coach in the fall and not coach football because my son is going to play fall baseball. No instruction pretty much ever. Just criticism and don't get me started on how he treats his own kid. Always arguing with him and getting in his head. This season can't get over fast enough.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
April 25, 2018 6:25 am  

Wait, your kids aren't on my team, are they?

j/k - I'm an awesome coach, we have the best tackling baseball team in the league.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
April 25, 2018 6:54 am  

I really liked his basketball coach.  I think its just a baseball thing for my oldest.  Baseball might be the sport he is best at.  He is a really good baseball player, but we have the worst luck with coaching for baseball.  We tried last year doing one of those travel teams... solid program.  Head coach for his team ups and quits a few weeks before indoor practice start.  They cant find a replacement, so we pretty much had a rec league coaching staff there too. 

Luckily our little league does a tournament team program, like an all star type team, have to try out and stuff.  I am sure he will make that team. 

Was an ugly game all around... we scored 12 runs and lost, 11 of those runs were kids who had reached by walk or HBP, and stole 2nd, 3rd, and home on passed balls.  Ugly... 

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze
April 25, 2018 7:23 am  

I came to the realization that good coaches are rare.  I have coached baseball and football for 25+ years and did okay.  I never coached basketball because I never liked/played/watched the game.  However my youngest son loves it and is pretty good at it.  Once we realized that rec ball didn't provide the completion he needed, we joined a travel/aau team.  Keep in mind that I know little about basketball - most of what I know is from watching a few high school games ( because my son dragged me to them) and several AAU games at a bunch of tournaments.  The bad thing is, a lot of coaches don't know how to be a coach.  They may know the game and be great at designing plays, etc - but they know nothing about coaching.

A good coach shouldn't have tp manage the plays on the field if he's educated his players well.  He should be managing the flow of the game, the substitutions, the moral, and motivation.  That's all.  As a baseball coach, I would sometimes "remind" my kids where runners were or where the play was.  Heck, I often reminded my kids to tag up on pop fly's only to see them take off at the crack of the bat seconds after being reminded.

So what I've learned about basketball; plays don't really matter much.  Setups do, not plays.  Fast hustling teams generally win.  Teams that jog down the court tend to have the ball stolen or defensed more often.  Aggressive defenses win more often than pansy ones.  To keep an aggressive pace, you should be subbing a couple of guys often - like every two minutes.  I see too many teams start with five guys and wear them out before subbing anyone in.  Easy peasy, maybe I will become a basketball coach and write a one-page book.

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver
April 25, 2018 9:36 am  

First baseball game of the season last night.  Kids just to rec league baseball.  His coaches aren't great.  They aren't good. But I could accept that, it is rec league.  But man I got frustrated last night watching a team get so out coached, in baseball, which I did not think was possible. 

We have a lot of inexperienced players, they need a coach yelling cut 2, cut 3, cut and hold.  Or calling out where to throw the baseball before the pitch, plays at 2, plays at any base, Jimmy if you have the ball you will have to tag the runner coming to 3rd since there is no one on 2nd.  NOTHING, kids were clueless out there.  When they did cut off drills in practice, a coach would yell cut 2, cut and hold, whatever.  In the game, nothing.  I was going nuts.  Our pitchers struggled all game, no visits to the mound.  There was no coaching going on at all.  And these guys are not planning on practices anymore.

My kid can pitch ok, he has worked with someone a bit in private, but he always pitches out of the wind up.  You cant leave your base to steal until ball crosses home plate, so no reason not to pitch from wind up if you can get the ball over the plate.  Coach makes him pitch from stretch, cant get the ball over plate any more, so they don't use him as a pitcher, he went from a top 2 pitcher for the team, to not even being able to be used as a pitcher. 

It sucked watching the other team get in game coaching and instruction, and our kids get nothing.  Gonna be a long season.  I am going to have to learn to bite my lip better than I did last night.  I did not say anything to the coaches, I believe in the 24-48 hour rule... but I was definitely bitching from the stands last night, under my breath.  I might have to ask if I can become a coach... which I don't want to do because I cannot be there full time cause I coach my other son in flag... 

Ok vent over.... I do appreciate that they take the time to coach, I just wish it would carry over to the game.  They do an ok job in practice, if they coached that game the same way they coach in practice, we would have most likely won.

What age group is this?

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
April 25, 2018 10:28 am  

What age group is this?

With those rules, it has to be 10u at the oldest.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
April 25, 2018 12:01 pm  

My youngest plays- he is 11
I was his HC last year-rec league
Without me stepping up- no team
We went ,500 and won the bottom halfs tournament

The year before I helped on a team that won 65% of its games

Didnt think I was a very good coach
BUT LOTS of reps getting done, no one standing around- no 1 guy hitting 11 guys shagging etc
Every player getting 100+ ball and 100+ hitting reps every practice
Progressions broken down- good fundys

Cant coach this year- dont want to
Coach is very bad
Very slow moving
tons of standing around
few coaching points etc

BUT coach is there every practice and he loves the kids
This is low level rec ball
Aggravating watching the practices that I can come to- so I dont

IM NOT an accomplished- consistently successful baseball coach- so who am I to say
So I dont

I respect and appreciate the coach- and dont watch practice
Thank goodness hes there for my sons sake

What Im doing- not for everyone

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
April 25, 2018 12:12 pm  

When my son practices I try not to watch and just talk to the other parents. But is hard not to watch my son. It drives me nuts as his practices go slow and there is no real teaching going on. Their coach just assumes everyone knows what to do and how to do it.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver
April 25, 2018 12:29 pm  

There's certainly a wide array of coaches for baseball.  We are rec(ish) (tryouts, but everyone's on a team) but we play tournaments against a lot of private club teams.  We have structured practices with the first hour in groups with drills specific to position:

Outfield
Catchers/Pitchers
Infield
Hitting

Players rotate through hitting (tee work/soft toss mostly) and may switch between outfield/infield if they play both. 

2nd hour we run team with scenarios or other areas of focus like leads/baserunning, pick offs, bunting and bunt defense, etc.

Only one of our coaches ever really played.  Thank heaven for YouTube channels.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
April 25, 2018 12:50 pm  

What age group is this?

Typically the no-lead/steal after ball crosses plate is up until you hit the big field at 13.

Making him pitch from the stretch at 12/under is mind-bogglingly stupid.

My son was pretty lucky overall - played football from 2nd grade on up, and baseball from 1st to 9th grade.  The only really shitty coaches he had were one year in youth football and when he hit the varsity football team - the varsity staff was the worst of all.  His baseball coaches were all pretty good.  From 13-15 he got really lucky and they were excellent - father and older brother of a player.

Actually, his college football coaches aren't the brightest bulbs on the coaching tree...

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
April 25, 2018 1:18 pm  

With those rules, it has to be 10u at the oldest.

9 and 10 year olds.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
April 25, 2018 1:25 pm  

All the teams practice on one of 4 fields at the baseball facility, and all the teams for the preseason tournament they do play at the same time, so you get to see a lot of other teams practicing, and I got to see all but 2 teams playing yesterday... Really put into perspective the difference in coaching. 

We have a lot of first year players and kids that just aren't athletic.  These kids need to be coached up immensely.  We had to miss a lot of practice time because of snow (welcome to Wisconsin baby!) so I would have expected some over coaching to help kids get into the flow of where to go with the ball, when to slide, stuff like that.  We took an out at 3rd base because the kid didn't slide because the coach never told him to.  Ball was hit to right field so he would have no idea where ball was.  Coaches were not giving any direction even on the base paths.  He was a returning player (staff is new) and last years staff was very vocal about that stuff.  So he was expecting to hear down down down! I heard him tell his parents that after the game.

That is what really sucks about having some competency when it comes to coaching kids... it makes the bad coaching smell way worse.  You notice a lot. 

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
April 25, 2018 1:28 pm  

We play the stacked team tomorrow... this league is incredibly political.  Almost so much so that I was not going to put my kid in the program.

Anyways, they literally created a pay to win rule essentially.  If a small business owner sponsors a team, the business owner can have their child play on any team they want.  Does not have to be the team they sponsored.  All the sponsor kids are on the same team.  They don't even hide it, I was talking about it with dads from that team at a fundraiser (not for the league) that we were at over the past weekend. 

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
April 25, 2018 3:35 pm  

SWG

Isn't there still snow on the ground in Wisconsin?

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 15
Share: