Notifications

Accuracy: How do you measure/test for it?  

RSS

morris
(@morris)
Platinum
February 23, 2018 3:55 pm  

Ok you have a group of kids that have never played QB. What tests do you do to judge accuracy early?  While we are at it how do you go about evaluating kids in a group to play QB?

Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
February 23, 2018 4:52 pm  

Have sprint back and forth at eachother from about 12 yds telling both guys to change targets and pitch and catch... Also have the pair do the qb circle drill, Honestly and i learned directly From Tubby When there warming up starting from 1 knee the should be moving the targets when lightly tossing to evaluate if the got control . Theres so many things you got to pm me . QB in Hybrid wing is one of my presentaions in St Louis so i have it all fresh in brain lol...

Head Coach Tito CorreaMeriden Raiders 14-UOffense-Hybrid WingDefense - Odd- Stack

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 24, 2018 4:40 am  

J

Accuracy is a product of good technique. Therefore, it isn't something I worry about when trying to pick a QB. Instead the things I worry about when trying to pick a QB are athleticism, feet, ability to preform under fire, & leadership. I always feel that if they can throw just a little I can coach them up. The other things they either have or they don't. I think the biggest mistake  many coaches make is picking a QB purely on how he throws the ball.

Obviously, you don't want a QB who can't throw at all, but the other factors will determine that. One thing I always look at is their ability to respond to coaching. Can they follow instructions? Are they a competitor? Do they handle the ball well?

Once  you have established those criteria, now you can concentrate on the actual technique of throwing the ball. One of the biggest issues young QB's have is stepping to the target, focus on their footwork & you will see an improvement. Tito mentioned the circle drill, it's a great way to start working on accuracy. The Goal Post drill is another way to insure a high release. Pat n Go is where you can work on mechanics. All these will help, but remember QB's are built so don't over coach them, instead focus on one fault at a time.

Hope that helps.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
February 24, 2018 10:40 am  

Ok you have a group of kids that have never played QB. What tests do you do to judge accuracy early?  While we are at it how do you go about evaluating kids in a group to play QB?

I judge QB accuracy by whether or not he runs straight at the called hole. ;D 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
February 24, 2018 11:12 am  

I would incorporate these drills into your practice.  🙂

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 25, 2018 4:34 am  

IMHO accuracy really comes from a QB not understanding he always needs to throw the ball not aim it. Good shoulder rotation, high release, & proper wrist action all play a part. These are all things that can be worked on. Even the best QB's will miss a throw, the why is what he needs to know. Most times after coaching they can tell you why.

The other thing is they need to understand the landmarks & what type of throw is needed for each route. Here's an example, we teach our QB's the slant must be thrown with authority. This is the fast ball of throws. He has step with his lead foot in front of the receiver. Hitch must be thrown to the back shoulder facemask high. Giving the QB's a very specific target makes them more accurate. Aim small, miss small is the theory. Post needs to be Skinny or Fat depending on the who or where. So we instill where & how the ball needs to be placed for every throw. It is never a matter of just throw it.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
February 25, 2018 6:20 am  

We judge accuracy at stand still, drop back,  running, and "eli manning drill"

Eli manning is a commands and footwork drill. 4 targets/player/coaches are set up and are numberd left to right.  Each time the number is called he sets up to throw to that target.  Eg commands....

Set go

2...scramble 4...drop 1...release 3

Drop back and set up for 2, scrammble run and set up to 4, drop back at 4 set to throw to 1 then pass to 3.

Partial way or before the passer sets up a new command is given.

We judge accuracy or finding a qb this way...dunno if that helps

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 25, 2018 8:20 am  

I would incorporate these drills into your practice.  🙂

br>

I have a hand thrower and about 2000 clay pigeons. I'll bring them to practice.  😀

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 25, 2018 8:31 am  

L

This could be the answer to all your QB trouble.

Joe

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
March 2, 2018 7:38 am  

Something I like to do is to line all the kids who could possibly play QB (ideally: every single one) up in pairs and simply have them toss the ball back and forth from 10-20 yards.  Watch them to see who's smooth and seems to have some nice touch on the ball.  Cut that down to 10 and divide them into 5 groups and have them run back and forth from sideline to sideline throwing each other the ball back and forth on the move.  Then just go through and pull out the ones who can't throw until you get maybe 6 who look nice throwing the ball to try at QB.  From there, you just go with the ones who look best.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
March 2, 2018 12:16 pm  

The one thing that needs to be mentioned.  How often do you plan on throwing and what types of throws are you seeking to do?  I was very fortunate to have 2 solid kids who could lead and make plays.  One went on to break most of the records in High School.  The other will be a Sophomore this year.  Neither one was chosen to play QB on my squad because of, or in spite of, their arm Strength.  I can design my passing game once I determine who I have at QB. Then work with him to accomplish those throws.  Both kids were good leaders and functioned well under pressure. 

just tossing it out there

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Francois
(@francois)
Lurker
July 31, 2018 7:23 pm  

The description of your knowledge has made us much more acceptable to the common people.

ReplyQuote
Share: