Notifications

BOB  

RSS

nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
May 26, 2015 11:24 am  

How many of you guys use big on big protection in the spread?  If so do you have trouble with your tackles picking up quick wide 9's?  What do you do with your back?  How do you assign your back to pick up the linebacker?

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 26, 2015 12:04 pm  

NW

One of our scheme's is a BOB scheme. While it's not our favorite we do use it against 4 man fronts. The RB & RG have A&B gaps to the right, The Center & LG left.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
May 26, 2015 12:15 pm  

If so do you have trouble with your tackles picking up quick wide 9's?

No.  They might get run over, but they always get there.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
May 26, 2015 12:45 pm  

We like our RB to block to the edge if we are not in Empty otherwise he tends to get in the way of the QB.

Kick stepping is key. You can find good videos of it on you tube.

Here are the basic rules of pass pro / pocket protection / hinge protection / BOB or how ever you define it. If you see a 60 front then slide protections are the better deal or pass pro max protect with two RB's....one to each wide 9.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 26, 2015 3:17 pm  

Mike

In BOB protection the Back works inside to out, hence the BIG on BIG. The Guard he works with will always take the DL. That is why we tend to use slide & half slide so much more. Man protection for empty or back releases are different.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
May 26, 2015 4:06 pm  

Mike

In BOB protection the Back works inside to out, hence the BIG on BIG. The Guard he works with will always take the DL. That is why we tend to use slide & half slide so much more. Man protection for empty or back releases are different.

Joe

Joe

Sure....I change it to work with nose pickers.  😉

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 26, 2015 4:23 pm  

Mike

Slide is simple, super easy to adjust, perfect for nose pickers & can be installed in 5 minutes. At the 3rd grade I wouldn't consider any other protection.

Joe

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
May 26, 2015 7:06 pm  

Mike

Slide is simple, super easy to adjust, perfect for nose pickers & can be installed in 5 minutes. At the 3rd grade I wouldn't consider any other protection.

Joe

Joe

Maybe you can post about that in a slide protection Thread someday.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
May 26, 2015 7:14 pm  

I guess there's a quota on non-BOB posts and Mahonz filled it already.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
May 26, 2015 7:17 pm  

Joe

Maybe you can post about that in a slide protection Thread someday.

LOL

no one would ever find  Joe's slide info in this Thread....dick head.  😛

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
May 26, 2015 9:55 pm  

Mike

Joe

I'm with Joe on this - we are full slide 90+% of the time in the passing game.  We block BOB if we send the RB out in the pattern, which is only on a couple of concepts, or if we are sprinting out, which is also pretty rare.  At the youth level, you're not going to see the size mismatches between backs and DEs, so the backs are perfectly capable of blocking them (and usually moreso than your OTs because they're so much more athletic).

Full slide is super easy and super effective (in the past 3 seasons, I'm pretty sure we've been sacked on less than 5% of our pass attempts - and our opponents are all very well aware that we're going to put the ball in the air 20+ times per game).

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 27, 2015 3:38 am  

http://www.dumcoach.com/passing-game-and-pass-protection/need-a-little-more-understanding-of-slide-protection/

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
May 27, 2015 3:46 am  

Not spread, but would bot change my rationale when pass blocking very much.  I like using BOB when running our crossing routes as the QBs read goes from playside ilb to weakside ilb to weakside olb/cb.  LB comes we throw it immediately.  Use it for y-stick as well.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
May 27, 2015 7:10 am  

I'm with Joe on this - we are full slide 90+% of the time in the passing game.  We block BOB if we send the RB out in the pattern, which is only on a couple of concepts, or if we are sprinting out, which is also pretty rare.  At the youth level, you're not going to see the size mismatches between backs and DEs, so the backs are perfectly capable of blocking them (and usually moreso than your OTs because they're so much more athletic).

Full slide is super easy and super effective (in the past 3 seasons, I'm pretty sure we've been sacked on less than 5% of our pass attempts - and our opponents are all very well aware that we're going to put the ball in the air 20+ times per game).

D

I think sliding is a good marriage with zone blockers as far as teaching.

We play unlimited weight. Currently my feature back weighs about 85 pounds....so kinda small. We face teams with 130 pound DE's. For me got to put an OT on that kid as much as possible.

Although he did play some DE himself last season because of his speed.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: