Notifications

Elbow placement in the throw  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

CoachMattColorado
(@coachmattcolorado)
Copper
April 4, 2015 7:04 pm  

How do you correct a throwing motion where the elbow is behind, the second picture, so it looks more like the throwing motion of the first picture?

morris
(@morris)
Platinum
April 4, 2015 7:39 pm  

What exactly is the issue? Is the second kid not throwing the ball as well as the first? If so what is happening? The elbow position is important in its relationship to get to zero and in the drive and separate phase.

Slack's five stage drill would help.
Prepass
L
Zero
Through
Finish

ReplyQuote
CoachMattColorado
(@coachmattcolorado)
Copper
April 4, 2015 7:48 pm  

The second QB has a little slower release, which may be related to the elbow being behind, but I am not sure.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
April 4, 2015 7:55 pm  

The slower release in the cases I've seen with my guys is either a) enlongated throwing motion b) not creating enough drive on the separation. Many people tell the qb to make the L and flip the wrist. It creates a Tebow like issue. When you drive it creates the separation and the L as you transition to zero.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
April 4, 2015 7:59 pm  

It creates a Tebow like issue..

Danger, Will Robinson!

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
April 4, 2015 8:11 pm  

Had a qb that didn't throw well in the 7th grade so he went to a qb camp. When he came back he could throw but they drilled the L position into by telling to extend the arm back. It created this long throwing motion.

Cracking the Code by Slack is a book anyone dealing with QBs needs to have. Even if you don't understand or care about how he talks about things the drills work. I wish I had before and after footage of my qb I started with in November. He still winds up a little which we need to fix but it's been a huge improvement.

Does the second kid play baseball?

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
April 4, 2015 8:29 pm  

Folks.

The real concern for us youth coaches is making sure their elbow is at or above their shoulder!  "The Tebow Effect" is not of our concern!  An arm lagging behind can be fixed!  STOP oneself from trying to create the next Dan Marino at the 7th grade, or whatever JR. high level.  Year after year my concern is getting them to forget the Baseball Throw!  Pronate!  I dont want a Curve ball or Slider!  I want distance, accuracy, and a tight spiral! 

Let the High School Coach finesse them! 

Gents:  Indeed I can tell then the right form to throw a Football.  However, I also want them to run my offense as well! I look fro improvement year over year!  Will the kid I have playing QB be the QB in High School? Probably Not! In 15 years only 3 of my QB's played the position in High School.  1 Was All Sate, One Started Varsity as a Sophomore, and one is the Soph's back up! 

Others,  Defensive Back, Line Backer, and DE.  Yet they were the Best kid for the Choice at the Time!  They were smart and could run the offense as I asked!   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
April 4, 2015 8:32 pm  

In 15 years only 3 of my QB's played the position in High School.

There a few ways to look at that.

🙂

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
April 4, 2015 8:34 pm  

There a few ways to look at that.

🙂

Yet they were the Best kid for the Choice at the Time!  They were smart and could run the offense as I asked!   

Context!

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
April 4, 2015 8:58 pm  

12 years and 5 HS starting qbs. I've trained everyone of our HS starting qbs. Why? Because I coach at a MS that feeds one high school. Bruce Cobleigh stresses working with the QBs as young as 5th grade or so. The reason is because it takes a long time to break bad habits. I'm not trying to make the next superstar qb. I'm trying to make the qb the best one he can be which means fix it.

The Tebow issue is my issue because I do not want an elongated throwing motion. They are separating the arm from the body instead of the body from the arm.

I asked about baseball because throwing a football is similar to batting. I never played baseball but I got that from Slack. The qbs I coach that play baseball get that.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
April 4, 2015 11:09 pm  

Yet they were the Best kid for the Choice at the Time!

Anyone who thinks he always has every kid in the proper position is deluding himself, and attempting to delude others.

Claiming it is a pretty good indicator that everything that follows should be disregarded.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver
April 5, 2015 4:14 am  

12 years and 5 HS starting qbs. I've trained everyone of our HS starting qbs. Why? Because I coach at a MS that feeds one high school. Bruce Cobleigh stresses working with the QBs as young as 5th grade or so. The reason is because it takes a long time to break bad habits. I'm not trying to make the next superstar qb. I'm trying to make the qb the best one he can be which means fix it.

The Tebow issue is my issue because I do not want an elongated throwing motion. They are separating the arm from the body instead of the body from the arm.

I asked about baseball because throwing a football is similar to batting. I never played baseball but I got that from Slack. The qbs I coach that play baseball get that.

I stole the batting analogy from Slack too. Really has helped kids visualize the drive and sepaatIon needed. I'm not trying to make every running back the next Barry Sanders but I am going to teach him the proper way to secure and run with the football.

Todd

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
April 5, 2015 4:27 am  

I just started with a kid that is a baseball player. As soon as I said the batting thing he was in perfect prepass just about. I'm having a heck of a time getting him to get to zero. He likes to be right on the edge. I think I'm going to continue to work with my guys over the summer. My starter hurt his knee doing a shuttle run. He might of torn something. If that's the case I need another kid ready. It's a shame because he throws the ball 1000% better. Still need to work on drive and deprecate but he does elevate and extend. Hell the kid I have that is like a race car without breaks has improved a ton too. I'm kicking myself for not doing this stuff sooner. Now I just need to develop material to teach R4 and we'll be cooking with gas.

ReplyQuote
durfee4
(@durfee4)
Platinum
April 5, 2015 1:59 pm  

This is what I refer to. 

Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
April 5, 2015 2:36 pm  

Anyone who thinks he always has every kid in the proper position is deluding himself, and attempting to delude others.

Claiming it is a pretty good indicator that everything that follows should be disregarded.

Care to explain this one?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: