Notifications

Hands Catching - How young is too young?  

Page 1 / 7
  RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 13, 2017 1:08 pm  

Hey guys,

I have a 45 minute commute, so my mind wanders to football a lot. I've always been a stickler for catching with the hands. I'd rather see them drop one in practice using their hands than catch one that hits their body. We're moving down to 2nd graders next Fall.  While I'll follow Mahonz' lead on all things bobblehead, I'm curious about any of your experiences with 2nd graders/7-8 year olds being able to catch with their hands.  Too much to ask of their tiny hands and brains?

Before you ask, yes, we are planning on throwing the ball.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
December 13, 2017 1:44 pm  

Hey guys,

I have a 45 minute commute, so my mind wanders to football a lot. I've always been a stickler for catching with the hands. I'd rather see them drop one in practice using their hands than catch one that hits their body. We're moving down to 2nd graders next Fall.  While I'll follow Mahonz' lead on all things bobblehead, I'm curious about any of your experiences with 2nd graders/7-8 year olds being able to catch with their hands.  Too much to ask of their tiny hands and brains?

Before you ask, yes, we are planning on throwing the ball.

nope. The sooner you start the bigger the rward on this

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
December 13, 2017 3:11 pm  

L

Our WR coach did a great job. He always has our guys catching something even during team time. He walks by throwing them Bricks, Lacrosse balls, & other things. He starts with teaching them the diamond & focusing on catching the front of the ball. One of his favorite drills is the Goal Post drill. They have to catch the ball with the Goal Post in front of them. They move their hands as if running, then when the ball is coming they make the diamond. Catch then tuck. Always focus on completing the catch.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
December 13, 2017 3:49 pm  

While I'll follow Mahonz' lead on all things bobblehead,...

Oh thats just great. I was planning on following Gumbys all things bobbleheads.  ???

I can teach any Smurf how to catch a football in one practice. I can teach them how to run a route in one practice. But to get them to run through the ball while never letting it into your frame at that level will be frustrating. Plus they like to throttle down or even stop at times. So I never use the phrase....playing catch.... because that goes against running through the ball. Plus the QB can never get a feel for what it means to anticipate your target if the receiver runs the same route differently most every time.

Take our very own number 33 for example. Been working with him for years but you never see me "teaching" him how to catch a football. Now its just a simple keyword reminder and lots of reps for him. But it wasn't always like that for sure. Kid jumped out at me from day one as a Smurf and I knew we had us a very special  TE. It took him 3 or 4 games to actually catch a football....and the rest was history. Kid has wowed me for years.

So...yes....I can teach any kid how to catch a football but most will never do it in a game. Gotta find the game'rs that tune out the mayhem. That takes some time. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 13, 2017 4:42 pm  

Agreed, the sooner you start teaching them "The Diamond", and how it moves to where the ball is, the better!  At the same time, running Good Routes is as important. 

A)  Cant tell you how many balls bounce of shoulder pads or get dropped cause it "Hit em too hard" in the belly!
B)  Cant tell you how many times a kid who really can Catch the Ball, doesnt run their route right! 

8)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
December 14, 2017 6:30 am  

Chinese start kids as young as 4 with fundamentals of ping pong. I would argue that equal or more hand eye coord then catching an oblong ball

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
December 14, 2017 6:43 am  

One of his favorite drills is the Goal Post drill.

Funny - that's an EDD for our WRs.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 14, 2017 11:37 am  

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will set out to develop the next crop of Jerry Rice clones.  😀

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
December 14, 2017 11:49 am  

Gumby

You plan on running Mahonz empty to go along with beast? I have been considering both of them but the mega splits are sketchy. I ran DW last season and I cant see how the wide splits would work with my team. I guess im just scared  🙂

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
December 14, 2017 12:48 pm  

Gumby

You plan on running Mahonz empty to go along with beast? I have been considering both of them but the mega splits are sketchy. I ran DW last season and I cant see how the wide splits would work with my team. I guess im just scared  🙂

You sound just like Gumby pre 2015. He even ran the DW.  🙂

Now he is the Empty Mega Splits Air Gumby Beast Master. When you come to a few Spring practice sessions you will see the light. Gotta live it. This Spring team runs things pretty much on their own so you can ask as many questions as you want without disrupting a thing.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
December 14, 2017 1:35 pm  

I cant wait to see your team running it. I love the concept I just cant wrap my head around the mega splits. Probably because we have been running zero splits. Seeing is believing.

More importantly I cant wait to see the mojo in full effect. I think this is the biggest area our team needs to improve.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 14, 2017 4:02 pm  

Always focus on completing the catch.

^

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 14, 2017 4:04 pm  

I ran DW last season and I cant see how the wide splits would work with my team.

They won't.  Not if you're running the Double Wing.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 14, 2017 4:13 pm  

I'm curious about any of your experiences with 2nd graders/7-8 year olds being able to catch with their hands.  Too much to ask of their tiny hands and brains?

As with most things, I teach things very differently.  We allow and encourage catching the football "with their body."  A catch is a catch.  But the thing that I like with this approach (as opposed to the "diamond" and/or high-pointing the football) is that catching the football with your hands is easily defeated by the way we teach indy pass defense. (Stick your hand in the "circle" [arms of the receiver] and pull your arm away.)  By catching the ball with your body, the body protects the football, it's harder to "punch the circle" (our term for getting our defender's arm between the receiver's arms and the football), and it's much harder to intercept.  Drove my AC's crazy when I was the header at GHHS.  Our Receivers Coach had been a wide-out at Indiana University and our OC had been a QB at UNC.  You can imagine how my approach was received. lol

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
December 14, 2017 4:24 pm  

Dave

I didnt mean using wide splits with the DW. That definetly wouldnt work.  What I meant was runnning any offense using wide splits. I think my line would struggle. Mostly because I have no clue on how to coach it.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7
Share: