Notifications

Hinge and slide protection  

RSS

Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
April 28, 2017 6:21 am  

I want to understand these a little more.

For example, if I rollout right and I have a back blocking to the same side of the roll, can I hinge all the way down the line from playside to backside?

If I roll right and have a back block to the left and slide right, could or should I hinge on the backside only?

Can hinge protection be stand alone like slide?

One example might be tight formation against a 60 front. A back blocks the playside DE. The PSG and PST man up and vertical set and the C through the BSG and BST hinge.

I know that I might not be asking the right questions so I hope you can make some sense out of this.

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
April 28, 2017 6:42 am  

V

Step & hinge is usually a Sprint Protection technique for the C to AST. I wouldn't recommend it for the front side. Again it was something we only did as a Sprint Protection. Different then slide for us.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
April 28, 2017 11:12 am  

I want to understand these a little more.

For example, if I rollout right and I have a back blocking to the same side of the roll, can I hinge all the way down the line from playside to backside?

If I roll right and have a back block to the left and slide right, could or should I hinge on the backside only?

Can hinge protection be stand alone like slide?

One example might be tight formation against a 60 front. A back blocks the playside DE. The PSG and PST man up and vertical set and the C through the BSG and BST hinge.

I know that I might not be asking the right questions so I hope you can make some sense out of this.

The way I've taught it, hinge is blocking the backside gap.  If everyone hinges, the DE is not being accounted for.  Step, set (pivot), hinge.  That's the technique.  We typically "scoop hinge," meaning the OL will step and scoop a threat to his inside gap if there is one (step flat and get his head across that inside threat), then open his shoulders to the back and hinge to the backside if no threat shows on the 1st step.

Slide is stepping and sliding towards a gap.  The OL may want to get their head across the rusher on a sprint protection to that side or, if you're using it in a dropback situation, they will step inside and work to keep the rusher on their outside number.

You can hinge with everyone, but it's not something I like.  If you're sprinting right and hinging with everyone, all your hinging OL will be blocking the gap to their left.  Some teams do this to KISS.  Personally, I don't really want to do that.  Even if you've got a TE, RB, or whatever outside the DE to downblock or log the DE, the hinge technique may not adequately get a body between a B or C gap rusher and the QB.

Generally, what you'll see is teams sliding playside (basically reaching the playside gap) and hinging backside on sprint out pass protection.  So if your QB is rolling right, your OL will step with their inside foot through the inside gap (if a rusher is there, they block him), then the 2nd step will "set" (pivot around and open--kind of like opening for a trap) to their left with their weight on that right foot, opening up backside (and turning their butt to the QB) to wall off rushers on the backside.

That way, if you have 6 rushers in C gap to C gap, the 5 OL will block the 5 most dangerous ones and the BSDE has to come all the way across the field to get to the QB.  If you only have 5 rushers in those 6 gaps, one of the hinging guys should be pivoting around and making sure the BSDE is getting blocked.

You may want to have a line call when you have, say, a 3 tech backside with an A gap bubble, to let the hinging BST know he doesn't need to scoop the 3 tech and can hinge on the BSDE because the G will be hinging to the backside 3 tech.

You can (and should) also hinge on the backside of run plays like Power and Power Read from the gun so that a fast BSDE doesn't fly in there and make a tackle in the backfield.  At higher levels, this can also help give the S a confusing run/pass read, but it's really not something that youth DBs will pick up on unless they're very well coached.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
April 28, 2017 6:03 pm  

Thank you. Your response made a lot of sense, especially this part as this was what I was wondering if I could do...

You can hinge with everyone, but it's not something I like.  If you're sprinting right and hinging with everyone, all your hinging OL will be blocking the gap to their left.  Some teams do this to KISS.  Personally, I don't really want to do that.  Even if you've got a TE, RB, or whatever outside the DE to downblock or log the DE, the hinge technique may not adequately get a body between a B or C gap rusher and the QB.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
April 28, 2017 6:15 pm  

The issue with many youth teams is that you're either good at one or the other (Run/Pass blocking).  Its been my experience over the years that, unless you pass a significant amount to keep it fresh, you're fighting memory and lack of reps! 

I teach Slide with Front or Back Side by Rb depending on the play. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
April 29, 2017 3:56 am  

We run block on pass plays with the covered guys and for the uncovered guys it becomes a run block as soon as there's contact. 

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
April 30, 2017 3:45 am  

V

Step & hinge is usually a Sprint Protection technique for the C to AST. I wouldn't recommend it for the front side. Again it was something we only did as a Sprint Protection. Different then slide for us.

Joe

Yeah, I was looking at your Brooklyn I stuff and this is where I got the idea from. I would use it primarily as rollout/sprintout protection.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
April 30, 2017 3:48 am  

Football coaches have a way of assuming that terminology is universal...

For us, slide protection is a scheme while hinginh has to do with technique and position within thescheme. 8)

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
April 30, 2017 4:22 am  

Football coaches have a way of assuming that terminology is universal...

For us, slide protection is a scheme while hinginh has to do with technique and position within thescheme. 8)

Interesting that you mention that because that was sort of what I was trying to get at with my OP, but couldn't quite word it right.

Which brings up another question. What is the "technique" for slide protection playside?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
April 30, 2017 5:29 am  

V

What you have to understand is that the Sprint protection really relied on the front side G&T not giving ground. While the C &
back side G&T could give more ground. Which was the reason for the step & hinge.

True Slide Protection is to mimic Zone blocking. If I had the time to only teach one protection at the Youth level it would be Slide. Even at the HS level for 2 years we only used Slide & a Boot protection.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Share: