Notifications

Ineligible man downfield  

RSS

Chief1
(@chief1)
Lurker
August 26, 2015 11:47 am  

As I understand it for youth football, A pass to the end man on the line of scrimmage is always legal as long as he's not covered up and you have seven men on the line of scrimmage. So I'm considering this formation.

OOXOO              O      O
O      O              O O

then I could pass to the left emlos.  But the second man in on the line from the right would have to stay and could not go up field because he is covered up. So he cannot be  downfield or he would be in an ineligible receiver downfield. Just trying to confirm that we're not breaking any rules on this play.

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 26, 2015 11:57 am  

The formation is legal. This is what the Pats were doing that people were upset about. As long as he doesn't go down field or doesn't catch a forward passs it is fine. Now, he is eligible for a lateral I believe. The sneaky one would be to the left end.

ReplyQuote
Chief1
(@chief1)
Lurker
August 26, 2015 12:03 pm  

The left end is who I am thinking of to confuse the d, I would have my left wr step off the line to uncover him and hit a pop pass.  I just want to make sure I don't get flagged

ReplyQuote
Chief1
(@chief1)
Lurker
August 26, 2015 12:43 pm  

To make it more sneaky and confusing I could motion the left slot?  Could he start on the line from that same formation?  That would mean I had 8 on the line but I would put him in motion like he's going to sweep thereby uncovering the left end?

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
August 26, 2015 1:37 pm  

To make it more sneaky and confusing I could motion the left slot?  Could he start on the line from that same formation?  That would mean I had 8 on the line but I would put him in motion like he's going to sweep thereby uncovering the left end?

Yes. You can have as many players on the LOS as you want.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
August 27, 2015 6:06 am  

Another sneaky play would be to simply shuffle pass to the "TE" after sending the two left WRs on routes to their sideline and the ineligible guy on the right would step backwards for a screen pass, drawing a player to cover him.  IF the DE/DT is not in the path of the shuffle pass, the "TE" would have a clear path to the end zone.  You could have the inner left WR turn towards the QB for a screen, while the outer WR runs to the sideline... now if the "TE" catches a shuffle pass, he can run towards the corner of the End Zone, maybe outrunning the Safety. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 14, 2015 7:37 am  

To make it more sneaky and confusing I could motion the left slot?

I think it's sneakier to not shift or motion to produce a "tackle-eligible" formation.

Could he start on the line from that same formation?  That would mean I had 8 on the line but I would put him in motion like he's going to sweep thereby uncovering the left end?

In Federation rules if someone who was on the line starts in motion & is still moving at the snap, he has to reach 5 yards behind the line by then.  In NCAA it's flatly illegal to have someone in motion at the snap if they started the motion from a line position.  I think Fed started with NCAA's rule, then allowed that 5-yards-back loophole.  The restriction was specifically for reasons of the play you're describing.

ReplyQuote
Share: