Notifications

Naked concept for 10-11 yo.  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
May 12, 2016 6:02 am  

Would you use naked pass concepts with 10-11 yo?

I'm leaning towards having an uncovered center or guard pull and run "boot" instead,

morris
(@morris)
Platinum
May 12, 2016 12:27 pm  

What formation and run action are you using?

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
May 12, 2016 1:38 pm  

......X.......T...G...C...G...T........Y
................................H.....Z

.........................Q

.............................R

This is sort of base with different variations.
Megasplits.

ReplyQuote
newb
 newb
(@newb)
Copper
May 12, 2016 1:58 pm  

First of all flip your formation so it's easier on the right handed QB. Then, assuming a boot right, have the H/Z pull behind the LOS to give the DE a shot then slip into the flat with the X running a 2 route (drag) and the Y running a route that slants inside but then curves towards outside corner. Then all you have to do is call is give it a cool sounding name like spider 2 Y banana  ;D

In all seriousness though the banana route with the flat underneath is extremely deadly. The flat is almost always open and the QB can throw it right away is he feels pressure. Then if the corner starts playing the flat the banana route is open behind him.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 12, 2016 2:21 pm  

Our 10's ran my naked as their best pass play. The team had limited talent & went undefeated in the regular season won the State & lost to a much more talented team in the regionals by 6.

I talk about running Naked at the Youth level & the adjustments you must make, in my Power Point.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
May 13, 2016 9:37 am  

Because I'm going to be using megasplits, I'm going to forego slide protection and base block. But having the H-back and or Z coming across to brush the DE seems like a good option.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 13, 2016 10:03 am  

V

First, what are you calling "Mega Splits" second what are you calling base blocking? I think you are losing the concept of what this boot pass is. Now we have run a boot off counter where we pull the guard & it is a little more like Waggle. I think you are forgetting the age you are coaching.

I talk about in the Power Point how true Naked involves leaving EMOL unblocked or having the Hback come over the top(that's how we do it at the HS level). At the Youth level you aren't going to get a defense that is actually reading to take advantage of, so we slide to the naked. Using Slide protection still simulates run blocking so the better teams that possibly read will get a look & against very good teams you can Slide away.

This is where re inventing the wheel can get you with something that won't roll.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
May 13, 2016 12:46 pm  

V

First, what are you calling "Mega Splits" second what are you calling base blocking? I think you are losing the concept of what this boot pass is. Now we have run a boot off counter where we pull the guard & it is a little more like Waggle. I think you are forgetting the age you are coaching.

I talk about in the Power Point how true Naked involves leaving EMOL unblocked or having the Hback come over the top(that's how we do it at the HS level). At the Youth level you aren't going to get a defense that is actually reading to take advantage of, so we slide to the naked. Using Slide protection still simulates run blocking so the better teams that possibly read will get a look & against very good teams you can Slide away.

This is where re inventing the wheel can get you with something that won't roll.

Joe

Mega for me is going to be 3'. I've done slide with 18" splits, just not that wide so I'm concerned about whether that age group can make that protection. Remember, the DE will probably be much wider which, correct me if I'm wrong, will give him more time to read the action on a naked.

I'm mostly going to see 60 fronts or 5-2 defense so when I was originally thinking of pass protection, I was thinking primarily of using slide. But I figured that with 4 of my 5 linemen being covered, it just seemed to make more sense to use man blocking with with an uncovered C/G and B getting the DE (base).

Now on boot, I would just pull the uncovered C/G to get the DE.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 13, 2016 7:17 pm  

V

3' is a normal split to me. At 10 we did use 24" for the Guards & 36" for the tackles, that is still in the wheel house. Slide protection is still the easiest method IMHO, it's super simple to teach & execute. Pulling to protect the edge requires more coaching. I can only tell you what I know works for 10's, you will do what you want. However; I think you are making a mistake.

I agree with flipping the formation letting the H come over the top of EMOL( if he can't get over the top he blocks him) & now Z on a drag is deadly in Youth ball. Slide protection taught properly allows you to only worry about teaching 1 protection & covers your entire passing game.

Joe

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 14, 2016 9:31 am  

Last night was our Red/Grey game. Here are 2 pictures of us running naked.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
May 14, 2016 10:17 am  

I understand what you are saying. I was just designing the offense to be straight up man blocking and using the H-back to be the puller or lead blocker. So I figured that it would be easier to just teach base pass pro. Either way, I should still be able to run naked. In fact with a 60 front, it should be much easier as the 2 and 4 technique will already be blocked by the G and T, respectively leaving the DE who can get brush blocked by the H-back on his way out.

I want my flood concepts to be either boot or naked.
My other primary pass concepts off play action will probably be post/wheel, NCAA, verts, and smash.

I do have one question, and since it's my thread, I guess I can hijack it if I want...
but is it necessary to be able to run every pass concept off every base run play or formation? I'm pretty sure that I can run each of these concepts off every play and formation I have, but do I really want to or need to?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 14, 2016 10:20 am  

I do have one question, and since it's my thread, I guess I can hijack it if I want...
but is it necessary to be able to run every pass concept off every base run play or formation? I'm pretty sure that I can run each of these concepts off every play and formation I have, but do I really want to or need to?

V

It's 10/11's so the answer is no. You don't have that kind of teaching time nor the athletic ability.

Joe

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
May 15, 2016 7:11 pm  

V

It's 10/11's so the answer is no. You don't have that kind of teaching time nor the athletic ability.

Joe

Agreed.  Even at the 13/14 yr old level, we rarely have more than 1 (2 at the most) passes for play action off each of our running plays.  I throw way more than most and I still only throw the ball about 20 times a game (range or about 15-25 most of the time), and only about a quarter of those are going to be play action, so that's about 5 a game.  It wouldn't be an efficient use of time to practice more than 1 or 2 pass concepts to use off play action off each our our running plays. There are some running plays (like Trap and Counter) that I don't think I've ever run play action off of.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Popcoach11
(@popcoach11)
Bronze
May 16, 2016 4:54 am  

Off play action we had 4 off our 2 most used run actions...

Power pass, power boot
Counter pass, counter boot

Worked well. We only threw these while under center. Never ventured into play action from gun.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
May 16, 2016 5:11 am  

Good thoughts. Play action from most used run concepts. Saves me a lot of extra work.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: