Notifications

Time  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
July 1, 2015 8:35 am  

Just curious what are the general number of secs that a QB should be working towards to get rid of the ball?  Quick Game, drop back and playaction?

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 1, 2015 9:22 am  

Just curious what are the general number of secs that a QB should be working towards to get rid of the ball?  Quick Game, drop back and playaction?

N

In my very strong opinion....ball should always be away in 3 seconds or less at this level. Play Action or Rollouts being the exception.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
July 1, 2015 10:45 am  

Just curious what are the general number of secs that a QB should be working towards to get rid of the ball?  Quick Game,1.5-2.2drop back1.7-2.5 and playaction?1.5-2.5 unless a Boot then it could go as long as 3

Mahonz & I have very different views on this issue. Time is the enemy of the passing game, I teach my QB's to get the ball out of their hands on time. I never want them holding the ball. When I worked with 10 y/o's i had them getting the quick game out of their hand in way under 2 seconds.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 1, 2015 10:50 am  

Mahonz & I have very different views on this issue. Time is the enemy of the passing game, I teach my QB's to get the ball out of their hands on time. I never want them holding the ball. When I worked with 10 y/o's i had them getting the quick game out of their hand in way under 2 seconds.

Joe

Joe

Actually we think alike.  🙂

Quick stuff right NOW ! Medium stuff less than 3 seconds.....long stuff is PA or RO's...although some PA is very quick as well.

When someone mentions a 7 step drop I immediately think....can my QB even count to 7?  😛

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
July 1, 2015 11:05 am  

Seven step drop?

I've had QB's who couldn't get the ball back to the LOS from a 7 step drop!
lol

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
July 1, 2015 11:14 am  

We have never run any 7 step concept  just to difficult.

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 1, 2015 11:17 am  

Seven step drop?

I've had QB's who couldn't get the ball back to the LOS from a 7 step drop!
lol

B

LOL is right. I read that sometimes....my QB's would trip and fall first!

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
July 1, 2015 11:45 am  

Joe

Actually we think alike.  🙂

Quick stuff right NOW ! Medium stuff less than 3 seconds.....long stuff is PA or RO's...although some PA is very quick as well.

When someone mentions a 7 step drop I immediately think....can my QB even count to 7?  😛

Mike

You are an enigma within a conundrum. Every time I post these numbers you have told me they are HS numbers, & I reply I use them at Youth. You tell me 1.4 is impossible for a youth QB, & I know it's very doable.

I think the issue with timing is so often overlooked when to me it's the most important issue with quality QBing. I think guys will spend all this time worrying about something silly instead of how to get the ball out of the QB's hands.

Joe

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 1, 2015 12:07 pm  

Mike

You are an enigma within a conundrum. Every time I post these numbers you have told me they are HS numbers, & I reply I use them at Youth. You tell me 1.4 is impossible for a youth QB, & I know it's very doable.

I think the issue with timing is so often overlooked when to me it's the most important issue with quality QBing. I think guys will spend all this time worrying about something silly instead of how to get the ball out of the QB's hands.

Joe

Joe

Oh I dont think 1.4 is impossible at all.....if I said otherwise then I was wrong....or it was my Evil Twin.  😉 Especially from UC.

Here is a Super Smurfy Smurf releasing in maybe 1.5....ish.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
July 1, 2015 12:10 pm  

Joe

Oh I dont think 1.4 is impossible at all.....if I said otherwise then I was wrong....or it was my Evil Twin.  😉 Especially from UC.

I learned the hard way that a young QB can get the ball off quickly.  I thought NO WAY can an 8yo get the ball off in under 3 seconds from shotgun... then I got burned in the first series of the first game last season.  Had I not underestimated this, I would have ran my coverage different and probably win that game instead of tie the way we did.  Lesson learned!

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
July 1, 2015 12:42 pm  

Joe

Mike

That is your Grandson right?

Work steps & wrist..... Please

Joe

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 1, 2015 12:49 pm  

Mike

That is your Grandson right?

Work steps & wrist..... Please

Joe

Joe

No that is one of our CB's now. That seems like a 100 years ago. He started that Season at LOT.

Crazy this youth sports thing.  ::)

My Grandson is .....Tebow ! He did pretty good last Spring.....I was amazed really. He is not a QB.  He is the.... no one else can protect my football so get in there and do it for me....QB.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
July 1, 2015 12:54 pm  

Mike

Then simply make him the QB. In the long run he will win more games for you. That is always the player we look for first. What I have seen of him he does break his wrist & his steps need work.

Joe

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 1, 2015 1:17 pm  

Mike

Then simply make him the QB. In the long run he will win more games for you. That is always the player we look for first. What I have seen of him he does break his wrist & his steps need work.

Joe

Joe

I seriously thought about this all Spring....but he is moving to Wisconsin.  :'(

Maybe he can do it there? His Father was a phenom at the position but not quite ready to turn his brain to mush.

My take on the little dudes...if they can walk and chew gun at the QB position...leave em be until they get to the smart guys like you. We " Slacked" up our QB last Season and ruined him....quite honestly. Its happened before too with QB's coming back from Slack Camps. Nothing against Slack AT ALL. I believe it becomes an over thinking thing rather than a natural thing because they dont / wont work on things full time.  If the QB can quickly process an accurate throw when he is 10 while everyone is trying to kill him...Im not going to kill with mechanics....only small tips like you suggest.

What has worked for me in the past....I have always coached for a youth Org that feeds many HS Programs so rather large Orgs with multiple teams....is to get a QB rolling along by say the 6th grade Season so that by sheer experience he has the edge once he hits the Freshman Field. I will throw the football 20+ times per game at the MS levels. 

If his wrist isn't quite right or his feet are a bit noodly but he has pocket presence and vision to execute well...carries out fakes....knows when to "fold em" ...that seems like a pretty good glob of clay to work with for the HS people. So far...so good until they meet a naughty girl. Then everything goes to heck in a hand basket.  🙁

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
July 1, 2015 1:17 pm  

Mike

Joe

I take it you realize by now that the reply will never, ever be, "Sounds like a great idea.  Thanks.  I'd love to be able to get that done.  How exactly should I go about that?"

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: