What are coaches favorite youth trips concepts ? Putting in a 5 wide package for my team this week to keep them engaged and because I have a bunch of dudes who can catch and a good QB. Plus my next 2 opponents are bad.....and I'm worried that my dudes are going to lose focus unless we do something new that will get them excited.
The easiest thing to install would be 4 verticals where you tag an underneath receiver to break on an out, dig, wheel, or whatever.
Or just run any 2 receiver combo (fade/out, smash, curl/flat, double slants, or the ol' switch route) with #3 running down the seam to hold the S or score if they leave the MOF empty.
A couple of things I like because they're easy throws and catches are:
1. #1 and #2 on slants (or "fins"--5 and ins, which I feel are easier to throw and catch) while #3 runs a bubble
2. #1 streak, #2 post, #3 wheel (run flat to the sideline and turn up at the numbers on a vertical behind #1).
3. #1 on a fin, #2 on a dig, #3 on a fin (#1 will pop open on what's almost a pick most of the time)
4. #1 hitch, #2 seam, #3 post.
5. #1 deep comeback, #2 corner, #3 10 yard out--works best as a sprint out to the trips
If you're rolling away from the trips, have a rule in that #3 always runs a drag, #2 always a dig, and #1 always runs a post.
Another cool thing is to bring a receiver in motion from the backside and just throw him a bubble screen to the trips side, assuming your guys block.
I also like the tunnel screen to the trips.
at lower levels you only need 3 concepts, and you need to be able to run them from multiple sets:
1) man beater
2) 2 high beater
3) 1 high beater
Man beater - Snag
-- -- #1 runs the vert to clear the corner
-- -- #2 runs the snag (slant & settle behind the near linebacker)
-- -- #3 runs an arrow
2 high beater - Stick Arrow
-- -- #1 runs a vert
-- -- #2 runs the stick (stick is basicly a glorified 6 yard hitch...but there is some teaching involved. if you dont know it, learn it)
-- -- #3 runs the arrow
1 high beater - verts
these 3 can also be run to a 2 man surface (thats why i love them) just remove the #1's route...
STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby