Wide splits pass protection  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
January 18, 2016 10:16 am  

....................................................S

...C..........................................................................................C
..........................................B..............................B
.......E.................V......V..............V.......V.......E
...........X.............T......G......C......G......T....................................Y
......................................................H.........................Z

..........................................Q

.................................................R

If X,Y, and Z are in routes, and I'm going PAP. I'm figuring LT, LG and C all slide to the next man over to their left. R would have the A gap. The RG and RT are man and H would have the DE on his side.

If I were sending 4 in route, R would have to block the DE if H were in route in addition to the previous stated assignments. I would not have anyone available to pick up a MLB blitz.

I guess this is more of a question for Michael or Mahonz on megasplit pass protection.
If I'm using mostly quick game outside like slant/flat, bubble, curl/flat off of "IZ" action, I probably would not have to account for the DEs. However, PAP, sprint out, or dropback would be a different story.

Can you explain what different protections you're using in these situations?

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 18, 2016 2:18 pm  

We count inside out.

In this case Center is uncovered but OG's are....OG's man up and Center squats and gobbles  for any middle blitz.

OT's are covered as well....so they man up. The D-End that is now not accounted for is somebody elses problem ( H back )

This alignment would be very easy to block as far as assignments go. Straight up 40 front in the eyes of the OLM.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
January 18, 2016 5:27 pm  

For us, in wide splits, the LE is considered a LB.

Guards and tackles would man up, and the center would vertical set and read Mike to the LE.

Worked like a charm.

I just coached the line, and I didn't worry about the ball guys.  They usually got in the way or got beat.  Or both.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 18, 2016 7:03 pm  

For us, in wide splits, the LE is considered a LB.

Guards and tackles would man up, and the center would vertical set and read Mike to the LE.

Worked like a charm.

I just coached the line, and I didn't worry about the ball guys.  They usually got in the way or got beat.  Or both.

M

I started teaching your " get to the QB" philosophy when you dont have a man.

It was rare that an OLM didn't have a man but I liked it when it happens so I revised what squat and gobble meant for the kids.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
January 18, 2016 7:06 pm  

I started teaching your " get to the QB" philosophy when you dont have a man.

That's not quite really it, but OK.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 18, 2016 7:08 pm  

That's not quite really it, but OK.

Did I miss something? ....not literally to the QB but you know what I mean.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
January 18, 2016 7:18 pm  

Did I miss something? ....not literally to the QB but you know what I mean.

If you lose your man, or if you vertical set and go through two reads without anyone coming, you run to the launch point.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
January 19, 2016 1:18 am  

So you don't do any slide protection out of wide splits?

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 19, 2016 1:43 am  

Here again it really comes down to the size of the splits. Michael's "Mega Splits" of 6' require the man blocking. Anything else doesn't fit. Regular wide splits 3', then slide is logical. We use Slide first then a Combo protection.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
January 19, 2016 4:17 am  

ok...I was setting my blocking scheme as mostly half-slide. Seemed the easiest for play action.

You would man block on sprint out also?

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
January 19, 2016 4:21 am  

I think if you go really wide splits and try to have the O-Lineman defend an area in pass pro you're giving them the same problem on pass plays that you're giving the box defenders on run plays.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
January 19, 2016 4:55 am  

I can see where there has to be a major shift from what I'm used to teaching.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
January 19, 2016 5:08 am  

I can see where there has to be a major shift from what I'm used to teaching.

Probably.  For me, there wasn't.  I was teaching stuff when we were tighter that worked better and better the wider we got.  That's probably why I see the really wide splits stuff as no big deal.  It was just a thing we did.  And everything I taught was based on zone blocking, so when we actually went to zone blocking (with tighter splits) it was no big deal for me.  I tweaked a few drills, and threw in a way to work combos, and I was in decent shape.  If I tried to teach SW or DW blocking, it would be a whole different story.  I'd have a really tough go of it, at least at first.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
January 19, 2016 5:42 am  

If I tried to teach SW or DW blocking, it would be a whole different story.  I'd have a really tough go of it, at least at first.

That's part of the issue. The schemes I was involved with were all T, wing-T.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
January 19, 2016 5:48 am  

Michael, while you're here, how far out do you line your wide receivers in the megasplit formation.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: