Page 2 / 2
  RSS

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
January 19, 2016 6:29 am  

Michael, while you're here, how far out do you line your wide receivers in the megasplit formation.

I really think the spread mega split thing might be a little exaggerated.

Leache's air raid had wide o line splits some almost 5 foot l, they fit the Formations to field just fine

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 19, 2016 6:38 am  

So you don't do any slide protection out of wide splits?

V

The only "sliding" we do is kick sliding when the blockers man is to his out side.

....................E.......T........N........T.........E
.........................T......G....C....G.....T

C mans up, G's kicks slide T's, T's kick slide E's and why I like using 2 point stances. The interception points are at about 2 yards behind the LOS for the G's and 3 yards for the T's.

I have never implemented any sprint outs mainly because the formation is so wide so its pretty far to sprint to get out.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
January 19, 2016 6:49 am  

The big issue we had with receivers was slot guys lining up close enough to the box that the guys covering them could also provide run support. 

I think you need the receivers out wide enough that the guys covering them can't get involved in defending the run game between the tackles.

It's brutal to have a huge hole and have the slot guy's defender slide over and make the tackle after five yards or so.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
January 19, 2016 7:17 am  

The big issue we had with receivers was slot guys lining up close enough to the box that the guys covering them could also provide run support. 

I think you need the receivers out wide enough that the guys covering them can't get involved in defending the run game between the tackles.

It's brutal to have a huge hole and have the slot guy's defender slide over and make the tackle after five yards or so.

Well if you look at Baylor, the slot is just past the hash and the widest is at the bottom of the numbers. What would we be looking at with 10-11yo?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 19, 2016 8:26 am  

Well if you look at Baylor, the slot is just past the hash and the widest is at the bottom of the numbers. What would we be looking at with 10-11yo?

V

What happens....run or pass...is the spacing changes dramatically across the formation. It requires some experimenting.

We had a tough time years one and two with the passing game....everything was just a bit...off. It was OK but way below my own expectations. But we were not using a lot of spread formations either outside of Empty.

With Empty...I had forever used 5 detached receivers....now I use 3, 4 or 5 because a TE or 2 in Empty is a pretty good thing as far as spacing goes.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 19, 2016 11:36 am  

I really think the spread mega split thing might be a little exaggerated.

Leache's air raid had wide o line splits some almost 5 foot l, they fit the Formations to field just fine

Z

Sorry I missed your comment.

Like Michael said...sometimes you are bringing a defender in for the tackle that really shouldn't have been in position to make the tackle.

Plus...a WO too wide might be exceeding the QB's abilities if you are going to be passing to him. No mater how big the splits are...the QB is still right behind the football.  🙂

Just have to experiment with things a bit.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
May 1, 2016 1:05 pm  

For us, in wide splits, the LE is considered a LB.

Guards and tackles would man up, and the center would vertical set and read Mike to the LE.

Worked like a charm.

I just coached the line, and I didn't worry about the ball guys.  They usually got in the way or got beat.  Or both.

Can you explain the technique for the center? Chances are that he will be more responsible for a DE for me as I will probably play fake with the RB and make the RB responsible for the inside blitz. Should he pull like a pulling guard? Kick-slide back to a certain point and wait for the DE?

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
May 1, 2016 1:57 pm  

Can you explain the technique for the center? Chances are that he will be more responsible for a DE for me as I will probably play fake with the RB and make the RB responsible for the inside blitz. Should he pull like a pulling guard? Kick-slide back to a certain point and wait for the DE?

We'd vertical-set him. If the Mike comes, he takes him, and the DE comes free. The DE is on the sight-side, as opposed to the blind-side, so that's a help (unless your QB is left-handed). If the Mike doesn't come, or delays, the C looks for the DE, who will be coming to him, if it's a dropback pass. If the DE doesn't come, either, the C goes to the QB, because if there's trouble, that's where it's going to be.

If we had to put the ball guy on the Mike, I'd have the C check the DE and then go to the QB if the DE doesn't come. If I had to go to the DE i'd probably have him pull at a kick-slide angle and ride the DE out. No need to kick-slide if you can't get beat inside. 

I'm no scheme guru, but it seems to me the easiest guy to get open on a play-action pass is often the guy you faked to, so I wouldn't be dying to have him block.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: