RSS

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 12, 2013 7:44 pm  

Have any of you, or anyone you've seen, taken a QB-under-snapper system, moved the QB back so there's only a yard or so of daylight between him & snapper, and gone from there?  If so, what'd it wind up gaining?  Did any of you do it just to get the QB away from a pulling OL, or because you were having trouble with a handed snap?

belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond
February 12, 2013 7:58 pm  

Single Wingers do it all the time. no problems with Oline

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
February 13, 2013 3:42 am  

That short a distance worries me some, just for handling a snap up to the hands. Just a reaction time thing. A lower, Cisar SW style I could feel more comfortable with.  Never been with a team that tried it though.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
February 15, 2013 3:26 am  

That short a distance worries me some, just for handling a snap up to the hands. Just a reaction time thing. A lower, Cisar SW style I could feel more comfortable with.  Never been with a team that tried it though.

I tend to agree and you also don't have as much room to work with as well. (1 or 2 yards back) I was one that felt that you can take any system and moved to a pistol look to get the same effect. What I have learned is that you have to run some sort of option based system if you're going pistol. The spacing alows you to set up your reads and attack. If you have little kids then the rocket/jet sweep with counters, belly, power, PAP, and etc. with it. Then as they get older you mesh in the read game along with mid line or whatever play you think that your players can run. If you do anything else then direct snap is your best bet to regain the advantage if you want to do what you're thinking about. This is when you best player is getting teh ball snap directly to him and now you get time back. The time thing is what most coaches don't like when it comes to the shotgun snap. Some feel it slow your offense down. So to regain that time back the ground work of SW bring that back to you. Sorry about the ling post and moving alll around.

(1) Only run option base if you want to run pistol
(2) If you have younger kids use Rocket/Jet and some basic comps in pistol. This is the ground work for option
(3) If you don't want to run option and want to use pistol then use SW concepts to keep your tempo of your attack up to gain timing back.

The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit." Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Share: