Notifications

Pistol formation terminology  

RSS

Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze
March 17, 2016 6:50 pm  

Any ideas on terminology to change formations and easy for the kids to remember.

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
March 18, 2016 3:56 am  

Let them choose the names of the formations.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
March 18, 2016 8:10 am  

really easy and fast. no words are needed

coach puts up right or left hand has 3 fingers up, trips that side, fingers together = bunch, fingers separated = normal spacing, arm outstretched meant take up all the space, widest players outside numbers, if arm was bent at elbow meant in closer to box, other hand would have 1 finger up, same thing in tight or out wide.

then 2 fingers on each hand = doubles. fingers together became stacks where 1 player lines up behind other. fingers separated = norm wide out and slot receivers, arm outstretched was the norm to spread out, arm bent at elbow meant bring it in tighter

so with this you get

trips left and trips right
trips bunch or spread to left or right
or in close to tackle spread out from each other or in bunch-close to eacher off tackle
doubles to left and right spread out away from tackle OR in close where slot can crack DE or OLB
doubles stack to left and/or right
n close or out far

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
March 18, 2016 8:22 am  

Or you could just teach them the generally accepted terminology which probably helps them more in the long run. We always had an abundance of formations. It was at the core of what we did. We had names for all of them(we tried to use name association when possible Cali was trips left and Florida was trips right for example), hands signals as well, but as the season progressed the kids picked up on what trips, trey, doubles etc. meant. Sometimes the actual generally accepted name was easier to learn than some made up name, like say trips right instead of Florida. We probably over thought some of it for sure.  😛

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
March 20, 2016 6:25 am  

I like the idea let the kid pick. I have done all kind of things like colors, super heros, etc. When you add the kids to it you will see it's easier for them to retain.

The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit." Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver
March 20, 2016 12:17 pm  

We've used a numbering system which the kids pick-up with ease. Our Jet back is the first number, the FB is the second and the Wing is the third. We can align a player by just changing the number. I have attached examples of the alignment system.

Gray Over 324 Jet Rt. - This is the huddle call.

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze
March 20, 2016 4:44 pm  

I really like this method coach, is there anyway I can get more information on this.  Thanks for any help.

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver
March 20, 2016 4:51 pm  

What would you want to know? If you want to talk PM me your cell.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
March 21, 2016 7:31 pm  

Let them choose the names of the formations.

I agree with Rob here.  You determine the formation, let the kids name it! 

A friend of mine who coached k-3rd grade used Cartoon Names, Colors, Animals and let the kids choose what name they were! 

Essentially, a 26 Power Right became "Red Power Ranger" 
A Jet Sweep left became "Cheetah"! 

He did similar things with Defense.

Bear, Lion, Tiger....Etc     

Kids learned real formations and play yet, had no Idea that's what it was. 

Sneaky Bastard!  LOL

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
March 21, 2016 9:44 pm  

We've used a numbering system which the kids pick-up with ease. Our Jet back is the first number, the FB is the second and the Wing is the third. We can align a player by just changing the number.

This is the way to go, because all the kid has to do is:

know what position he's in at
and
know where that position is supposed to line up (from a limited number of possibilities.

The whole team doesn't need to know.

If you have a base formation that you use a lot, then instead of giving all the numbers each time, you can say, "right half wide, left half over," and everyone else is in the default position.  That way they not only don't have to know where everyone else is, they don't even have to count the positions in the signals.

If you want to put it all on yourself, you can simplify that last bit for the players even more by using the players' names instead of their roster positions.

ReplyQuote
Share: