Notifications

Pistol Offense  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

nwmocb
(@nwmocb)
Bronze
June 2, 2010 5:56 am  

Has anyone tried this?  I am considering it.  I was going to run the spread, but by the running back being behind the QB it actually allows us to run our jet offense from out of the gun and still be able to run all of our lead plays and stuff.  I guess it is the same as the spread but the running back is behind the QB because you pretty much run all the same plays.  Do anyone think one has an advantage over the other?

jem
 jem
(@jem)
Gold
June 2, 2010 6:16 am  

Has anyone tried this?  I am considering it.  I was going to run the spread, but by the running back being behind the QB it actually allows us to run our jet offense from out of the gun and still be able to run all of our lead plays and stuff.  I guess it is the same as the spread but the running back is behind the QB because you pretty much run all the same plays.  Do anyone think one has an advantage over the other?

Ask Coach Derek Wade... he loves talking about the pistol... especially his version...  ;D

.....I'm just funning with you coach wade...  ๐Ÿ™‚

Scott could tell you about it.... Shad you out there? 

j

"I truly believe itโ€™s not what you know โ€“ itโ€™s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
June 2, 2010 12:41 pm  

"Ask Coach Derek Wade... he loves talking about the pistol... especially his version.

That would be funny if I didn't have to work with him.  As it is, all it does is piss him off.  Then I get to deal with him.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
jem
 jem
(@jem)
Gold
June 2, 2010 1:16 pm  

That would be funny if I didn't have to work with him.  As it is, all it does is piss him off.  Then I get to deal with him.

--Dave

Oh My Gosh.....  I had no idea  ???
;D ๐Ÿ˜€ ;D ๐Ÿ™‚  :-X

"I truly believe itโ€™s not what you know โ€“ itโ€™s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
June 2, 2010 1:21 pm  

Oh My Gosh.....  I had no idea  ???
;D ๐Ÿ˜€ ;D ๐Ÿ™‚  :-X

J

How'd you like to be the fly on the wall during some of those discussions. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Coach Mike

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
jem
 jem
(@jem)
Gold
June 2, 2010 1:33 pm  

J

How'd you like to be the fly on the wall during some of those discussions. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Coach Mike

Mike,
It would be better than the Watergate tapes    8)

j

ReplyQuote
jem
 jem
(@jem)
Gold
June 2, 2010 1:34 pm  

Hey Mike have you ever coached the pistol????  You have coached everything else....  ;D

j

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
June 2, 2010 1:43 pm  

Hey Mike have you ever coached the pistol????  You have coached everything else....  ;D

j

J

Nope...thought about it a time or two...coached against it a time or two.

Looks interesting. Just never decided to go all in and learn about it except from what I have seen on the surface.

After this upcoming season I start over again with a 7 year old team so Im thinking smurfie smurf football now a day as far as future plans. This season is set with the 8th graders...5 wide and the beast till they puke...or till I puke. May be a lot of puke everywhere.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Coach Mike

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver
June 2, 2010 2:57 pm  

Our offense used a pistol formation a while back.  Power (three different ways), IZ, ISO.  A little OZ, Dart/wrap and a pin/pull OZ (what nevada calls HORN). 

You can do almost anything that is established from a pistol formation.  Lots of dudes are using it for veer as well. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
June 2, 2010 3:51 pm  

the first year i ran DCWT my offensive coordinator randy had made a pistol version.  We were very uneducated in the DCWT ways at the time but never the less it worked out very well.

This year we are using dcwt exclusivley but will have a pistol set from slot.

attached below is Randy's creation

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
June 2, 2010 4:06 pm  

the modifications we made to this for this year are:
- we will have the FB at 4 steps behind the ball and the QB 1 step infront of the FB
-FB will be in a 3 point
- we will stay true to the form dictated in the DCWT manual, only exception is the QB steps on belly right and left, he will be stepping just like quick
-everything else will be the exact same no change in language

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
June 2, 2010 5:32 pm  

Since Jem tossed me under the bus, here is my take on the Pistol vs. the Gun.  LOL

I have Jerry Campbell's material and it can indeed be situated to the youth game. If I were to start from scratch the Pistol is, imho, the way to go at the youth level.  One simple fact that makes it more manageable is the short depth of the QB 31/2 to 4 yards.  This alone allows you to do any 3 step passing  with a mere hop step and throw.

You can run Power, IZ , OZ, and option and it gets to the LOS a lot faster than any gun formation.  At the very least you can run a simple IZ and read LMOLOS running game with good success.  The option in this is a bit different than it would be from the normal Veer, Bone, and Flexbone versions but equally effective. I personally like what can be done from the Pistol from the basic level all the way through HS and into College.

The caveat to any offense is that you have to spend the practice time messaging it daily. 

Shad

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  ๐Ÿ™‚

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
June 2, 2010 6:00 pm  

KnightsCoach from the old forum ran DC run and shoot from a pistol offense. Here are some videos

He never ran this, but in my mind, the coolest feature of the pistole is the misdirection option play. You have a receiver run a jet sweep between the QB and the HB, and you have the QB and HB run option in the other direction. When they run past each other it's impossible to know who has the ball.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
June 2, 2010 8:00 pm  

This is just my 2 cents. The Pistol is a formation, not an offense of it's own. You can run anything from Pistol depth. The key points is that it allows you a.) to have a north/south rushing attack. b.) You're in position and a threat to pass because your in shotgun depth. I will install a pistol scheme this season for my youth team. Most people use a spread option concept. (Like the one that Univ. of Nevada uses.) Coach Jerry Campbell is very big on the pistol and have guides on it as well. He has been on my show a few times. If you have any questions he always respond. 

http://www.pistoloffense.proboards.com/index.cgi

This forum had a few free playbooks you can look at.

http://www.jerrycampbellfootball.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=55

Jerry Campbell's Guide

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/coach-bigb/2009/10/29/the-red-zone-show-welcomes-coach-jerry-campbell

Campbell interview

I have some ppts. for you if you want to see them. Just email me. I hope this helps.

The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit." Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
nevadajoe
(@nevadajoe)
Bronze
June 2, 2010 9:08 pm  

I am not a Pistol expert but have watched probably more than most as I am pretty close to the Univ. of Nevada program and I beg to differ.  The Pistol deserves to be elevated to the status as an offensive system.  It's not simply running your plays from a short shot gun depth.  One of the interesting things about the Pistol is that it has turned into a run first offense.  When Coach Ault first introduced it we all thought it was a short short gun pass first offense.  I have been talking with some of the Nevada staff about a youth version.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: