Notifications

Pistol Read Option  

RSS

michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
December 30, 2016 4:31 am  

Considering running some pistol read option next season and was wondering if anyone had any playbook suggestions.  This season ran some big coco spread plays and had success it and would like to add some option plays. 

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
December 30, 2016 4:42 am  

Talk to Joe.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 30, 2016 5:34 am  

Joe would be a great source.  I have and like Jerry Campbell's Pistol Material I think its good as well.

I especially love what I call the "Cowboy Option" to a WR.  It really pressures the Edge to do more than just Cover!  8)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
December 30, 2016 5:41 am  

MM

Are you coaching 8 U as your profile states?

Pistol Power read is the best play in all football, I am not sure about coaching 8's though.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
December 30, 2016 5:58 am  

Cox's power pistol is a neat offense and the power read can be a big part of it. Or you can just run basically a sw/dw type offense from it. I would love to run that offense but never could convince my old header to do it. Probably good I didn't because we were darn good doing what we were doing.

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
December 30, 2016 9:23 am  

MM

Are you coaching 8 U as your profile states?

Pistol Power read is the best play in all football, I am not sure about coaching 8's though.

Joe

No I updated it now, it's 10 and under. 

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
December 30, 2016 9:34 am  

Yeah anything you guys have I'd love to look at it.  With me running some of the big coco spread plays, I'd really just scoot everyone in tighter and run some option out of that.  I know the main thing is getting the QB to read and get all that down, but it also helps when your son is the QB 🙂  plenty of time to work on all that.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
December 30, 2016 10:17 am  

MM

We are a Spread Option team at the HS level. We probably run 7 or 8 different types of option reads, we also read every man across the front. I think at 10 you could probably run a couple of different reads, if you know how to coach them. It is definitely a process, if you want more info PM me for my number.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
December 31, 2016 6:20 pm  

Very interested in getting this going, seems like a lot of youth teams are going this direction lately. 

Joe I'll contact ya Monday bud, don't wanna disturb ya on New Years. 

With that being said happy New Years to you guys, I wish everyone nothing but success. 

ReplyQuote
Share: