Notifications
Clear all

Power Pistol Counter

Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
Topic starter  

It seem like it has been some talk about the counter play. I wanted to share with you one of the plays we ran often last season. We loved this play for when teams really over played our strong side of the formation. This is a play we would call around 3-5 times a game and gotten some nice yards off of it.

Enjoy.

The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit."

Coach Vince Lombardi

jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

I've run that second play with the TB lined up directly behind the QB - TB takes hand-off on the right and cuts left.

Also did it with the back lined up to the left as in your first diagram, had them do what Tim Murphy calls a scissor cut or something like that on the snap to get depth and come a little more downhill.

A couple of pictures attached of the TB counter. I ran it out of double tight so not exactly the same, but same idea...

Technically the G should be kicking out and FB and WB leading, but I wanted to simplify and keep the  blocking the same assignments as power - FB kicks, G pulls and leads. Of course, that means the FB, should you have one who is prone to this, is more likely to go the wrong way...which mine certainly did at times despite having RIGHT and LEFT on his wrist coach... 

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
Topic starter  

Great play and I loved it against aggressive teams.

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit."

Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Our first 2 games, tough opponents, the version we ran out of pistol was our only good play.

ReplyQuote
Coach Big B
(@theredzoneshow)
Gold
Topic starter  

It paid off well for us around week 3 I think. Very good play.

Coach Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

The first play is almost exactly how we run it (slightly different formation, but otherwise identical).  We got great results right from game 1 on.  The second play, I must be missing something about the backfield action because it doesn't really look like a counter to me.  Do you have some video of it?  I'd love to see it in action.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Share: