Notifications
Clear all

Extra Point Question

Page 1 / 2

joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
Topic starter  

What is the kickers proper alignment from the holder ? I always see them take 2 steps back and one step over....is that the norm ? I have never taught the extra point and we are going to emphasize it next season.

Passio Bellator

Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin

Check out this set of videos, and you should be able to see what he is doing. I taught this to my 10yr old last summer, and he picked it up fast.  I also bought Bill's book to teach the finer points.

http://www.billrennerfootball.com/video/sample_workout/full_approach.html

Don't cross my path.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum

Here is another video for showing proper alignment.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

What is the kickers proper alignment from the holder ? I always see them take 2 steps back and one step over....is that the norm ? I have never taught the extra point and we are going to emphasize it next season.

The kicker should cut & try, stepping it back from where he meets the ball, and learning the spot that results in good kicks.  A very common one for soccer style is 3 steps back and 2 to the side, but there's no reason to try to conform to that.  If you rep different kickers, they should each find their own spot.

ReplyQuote
Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin

The follow through hop will give them a surprising amount of extra distance. Puts a lot more body weight behind the kick, instead of just the leg.

Don't cross my path.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

The follow through hop will give them a surprising amount of extra distance. Puts a lot more body weight behind the kick, instead of just the leg.

Do you actually coach them to spring off the plant foot?  Or is it just that when they swing with full force, they come off the ground?  I know that even though I try to plant my non-kicking foot, the follow thru on a punt causes it to come off the ground and I hop forward as a by-product.  On a place kick it's a sort of forward slide.

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Check out this set of videos, and you should be able to see what he is doing. I taught this to my 10yr old last summer, and he picked it up fast.  I also bought Bill's book to teach the finer points.

http://www.billrennerfootball.com/video/sample_workout/full_approach.htmlbr >

Thanks for the videos !

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin

Do you actually coach them to spring off the plant foot?  Or is it just that when they swing with full force, they come off the ground?  I know that even though I try to plant my non-kicking foot, the follow thru on a punt causes it to come off the ground and I hop forward as a by-product.  On a place kick it's a sort of forward slide.

Like anything, I won't coach if they are already doing it without thinking about it. I won't teach them to hop, but I would focus on the kicking through the ball part.

Don't cross my path.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Like anything, I won't coach if they are already doing it without thinking about it. I won't teach them to hop, but I would focus on the kicking through the ball part.

I ask because on the place kick, if the plant foot starts sliding before the kicking foot comes thru, that results in a bad hit.

ReplyQuote
defensewins
(@defensewins)
Silver

we teach a "three step kick". 

To get to his stance, he takes three steps back and two shuffle steps away from the holder. 

For a right footed kicker, his stance is right foot up.  First step is a jab step with his right foot, second step is with the left foot which takes him to the left of the tee and the third step is his kick. 

ReplyQuote
Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin

we teach a "three step kick". 

To get to his stance, he takes three steps back and two shuffle steps away from the holder. 

For a right footed kicker, his stance is right foot up.  First step is a jab step with his right foot, second step is with the left foot which takes him to the left of the tee and the third step is his kick.

We do everything about the same except that after our three back and two over, we have all the weight on the left foot with the right foot back. First step is a full step with right, big step with left to plant, then third kick.

Don't cross my path.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

If you use a toe kicker, just have him walk straight back from the tee. Easy money.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

If you use a toe kicker, just have him walk straight back from the tee. Easy money.

Whoever coaches the Soccer-Style kicker must know HOW to do it.  If they can get the job done - DON'T OVER-COACH them.  We only stressed TWO things:

1.  After the kick - follow thru in a STRAIGHT line (keeping square to the uprights (many of them fall or drift off to the left after the kick).

2.  Keep your head down (don't look at ball AFTER the kick).

USE STOPWATCH:  We work like hell to get the kick away in 1.25!!!  A good CENTER is a must also!

The REST of the operation:

LINEMEN:  6” SPLIT.  THE LINE IS BOWED, WITH INSIDE FOOT BACK (& A LITTLE BEHIND TEAMMATE’S OUTSIDE FOOT), & OUTSIDE FOOT AT HEEL OF MAN INSIDE (GET INTO HIS INSTEP).  KEY SNAP OF BALL OUT OF THE CORNER OF YOUR EYE.  ON SNAP, STEP INSIDE WITH INSIDE FOOT BEHIND THE HEEL OF INSIDE TEAMMATE – KEEP OUTSIDE LEG WELDED TO THE GROUND.  KEEP SHOULDERS SQUARE (BOTH HANDS UP TO PUNCH) AND KEEP YOUR CENTER LINE OF GRAVITY.  YOU HAVE INSIDE GAP CONTROL BUT CAN HELP YOUR BUDDY OUTSIDE WHILE CONTROLLING YOUR GAP.

WING:  INSIDE FOOT IN MIDLINE OF TIGHT END.  DON’T MOVE INSIDE FOOT.  PUNCH INSIDE & RICOCHET BACK OUTSIDE ONE STEP & MAKE OUTSIDE RUSHER CHANGE HIS LINE OF RUSH. 

HOLDER:  6 OR 7 YDS DEEP.  LEFT KNEE UP.  BALL PLACED WITH LEFT HAND.

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold

We also toe kick.... step three steps straight back from the block.. big steps.... should be perfect in line with the center of the uprights....

toe punch it about 2-3" below the center of the ball..... leg acts almost like a golf driver... perfectly straight with no hip rotation...... I have a hard time coaching the soccer style because almost every kid rotates his hips as he kicks and the ball shanks off the block towards the direction he stepped to the side.....

If I was kicking very far I'd have him of course learn the soccer style but for a kick that amounts to 20 yds or slightly less with only about 10' elevation of the crossbar i'm toe kicking it all day... way easier to find a kicker...

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

We also toe kick.... step three steps straight back from the block.. big steps.... should be perfect in line with the center of the uprights....

toe punch it about 2-3" below the center of the ball..... leg acts almost like a golf driver... perfectly straight with no hip rotation...... I have a hard time coaching the soccer style because almost every kid rotates his hips as he kicks and the ball shanks off the block towards the direction he stepped to the side.....

If I was kicking very far I'd have him of course learn the soccer style but for a kick that amounts to 20 yds or slightly less with only about 10' elevation of the crossbar i'm toe kicking it all day... way easier to find a kicker...

This is me as well.  I have only had one soccer style kicker, and he came to me like some youth football version of Roy Hobbs.  Just walked up in August and asked how to sign up to play.  His first day on the field, we were looking for kickers -- I $hit you not, by the end of practice, he was drilling them from the 40 yard line (yes, he hit like 6 or 7 in a row from 50)-- he was 12.  ???

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: