Notifications

How huge is it in youth to have a KILLER kicker???  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold
August 22, 2013 7:53 pm  

In AYF kicking conversion is worth 2... running it in is worth 1.....

How huge do you think it is for your team to have a consistent kicker that has a booming leg and 90% of extra points are good for 2 points...

meaning every 3 you kick is like an extra TD....

so instead of having 18 points you have 24.....

I just found out my fullback can kick like 35+ yds off a block held by my conversion holder... it launches very high and very straight.. monster leg strength.... and he does it consistently......

what say you about how important that is to a youth team????

i'm considering trying to kick a field goal this season if we're up and we're inside the 20.... cause i think he can easily boot it that far...

bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold
August 22, 2013 10:17 pm  

In AYF kicking conversion is worth 2... running it in is worth 1.....

How huge do you think it is for your team to have a consistent kicker that has a booming leg and 90% of extra points are good for 2 points...

meaning every 3 you kick is like an extra TD....

so instead of having 18 points you have 24.....

I just found out my fullback can kick like 35+ yds off a block held by my conversion holder... it launches very high and very straight.. monster leg strength.... and he does it consistently......

what say you about how important that is to a youth team????

i'm considering trying to kick a field goal this season if we're up and we're inside the 20.... cause i think he can easily boot it that far...

It's a HUGE advantage.  Every 3 scores adds another score for free.  At nationals, titles have been won or lost based on the ability or inability to convert the PAT's consistently.

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze
August 23, 2013 2:46 am  

Very little advantage when you consider most touchdowns in youth ball are long runs.  We had one of these a few years back and we kicked extra points and once had a 33 yd field goal (for fun).  It was cool to do, but did not contribute to our win/loss  record that year.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 23, 2013 4:08 am  

It's a HUGE advantage.  Every 3 scores adds another score for free.  At nationals, titles have been won or lost based on the ability or inability to convert the PAT's consistently.

Lost in the finals at nationals in 2010 24-22 on a missed 2pt conversion. Won a few games because of our kicking game also. Regional semis 2008 our opponent scored 1 more td than us but we made all of our pat and the didn't kick so we ended up winning the game. If you can convert and your opponent can't and you go up 16 the game is usually over as now they are 3 scores down.

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
August 23, 2013 6:53 am  

Huge advantage to have kicker who can make it every time.

8-0 (needs 2 TD to win)
16-0 (needs 3 TD's to win)
24-0 (needs 4 TD's to win)

I have wrote this before. My first season I lost two games one 16-14  🙁 and another 14-13.  Unknowingly I had two kids (both 9 year olds) who could make the PAT kick.  It was a rookie mistake on my behalf and the kids suffered.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 23, 2013 7:02 am  

Put me in the HUGE advantage column.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold
August 23, 2013 7:07 am  

Very little advantage when you consider most touchdowns in youth ball are long runs.  We had one of these a few years back and we kicked extra points and once had a 33 yd field goal (for fun).  It was cool to do, but did not contribute to our win/loss  record that year

I don't quite understand why HOW you score would have any effect on having an advantage or not...

If I can kick for 2 and you can't even if you bust off long runs you only get 7 points and I'll get 8 for every touchdown (assuming you run in the conversion)

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
August 23, 2013 7:40 am  

To sum it up, there is only one way to win a football game ... Score more points then the other guy!

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze
August 23, 2013 12:00 pm  

We need calibration here.

Some leagues are kicking for 2, some for 1.

In my league, we go by NFHS rules so the XP is 1 point and the run or pass is 2 points.

The success rate of runs or passes for 2 yards is MUCH higher (90%+) than kicking at the youth level (7-14).

Given those odds, I am running every time.  If you ever happen to play against me - I am running for my XPs, not kicking, not passing. 

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
August 23, 2013 12:07 pm  

Put me in the catagory
1. Is there a rush with all 11 or just a few?
2. Can your line consistantly block the rush?

If number 2 is a yes.. Than have at it.

Put your FB under pressure and see what happens

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
August 23, 2013 12:10 pm  

Thought about it just as I clicked out

How much time are you going to have to contibute in practice to (in reality) score 1 more point

ReplyQuote
DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold
August 23, 2013 12:52 pm  

It's part of our special teams walk-thru day that we do on fridays when we are wearing just helmets and shorts.  It's funny cause we have two light poles at our practice field.  They are a bit narrower than goal posts but pretty close.  We walk off about 20 yds away where we spot the block.  There is a fence in front of it so you gotta get the kick off the ground and up..... It also gives the kicker a good view of how he's gotta kick it to have it go straight.....

Ball is spotted on the three, holder is five yards away so the kick is more like 18 or so yds...... If my kicker can blast it from 20 we're good to go.... I think if we practice it twice a week for about 20 min we'll be just fine.....And since we can't do contact on friday that seems like the best day.....

I do know this. The team we played in the championship last year could kick for 2 EVERY SINGLE TIME.  We were very worried about it since our kicker was like 50/50 and that day he was having a bad day....

We scored and went up by 7 in the 4th quarter.... We decided to forego the kick and run in the extra point which was successful to put us up by 8.  A kick would have ended the game cause they would have had to score twice.  So we played the odds and the best they could do would have been tie....

We ended up winning but I cannot say it didn't play into our strategy that they could kick for 2 and we could not consistently....... And you gotta see how far and straight this kid kicks it. I'm going to put him against a rush today.....

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
August 23, 2013 12:58 pm  

Do they rush
Or just have the defense wave their hands

I have seen some rush 6 only and I have seen some levels with no rush

ReplyQuote
DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold
August 23, 2013 1:25 pm  

Most teams bring everybody.......

Last year they were trying to go on our holders hands when he snaps his hands open showing he's ready for the snap.  So now I have my holder do that but the center snaps when he's ready.....

We also put the block at 5 instead of seven. Tougher angle for the blockers to get to it.....

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 24, 2013 4:15 am  

We need calibration here.

Some leagues are kicking for 2, some for 1.

In my league, we go by NFHS rules so the XP is 1 point and the run or pass is 2 points.

The success rate of runs or passes for 2 yards is MUCH higher (90%+) than kicking at the youth level (7-14).

Given those odds, I am running every time.  If you ever happen to play against me - I am running for my XPs, not kicking, not passing.

I would bet most youth leagues kick for 2 as it is a much harder conversion unless you actually spend some time on it. Once you find a kid who can bang them through regularly it is crazy not to kick. In your league I wouldn't bother installing it. Why would you?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: