Notifications
Clear all

Kicking Question

Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

Does anybody know if you have to wear a cleat during a PAT according to NFHS rules?  I have a kid that for some reason can boot it pretty good but barefoot..

Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

Looks like it is a required piece of equipment (cleats).. so I guess it is illegally equipped 5 yards penalty

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

The shoes are allowed to be cleatless.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

what about no shoe?

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

I seem to remember they changed it 3-4 years ago, gotta have a shoe. NFHS Rule 1-5-1 (7) e. It also talks about the kinds of shoes permitted. Interestingly enough, apparently no gymnastics slippers or logging boots are allowed.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Thank God.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

I have em stumped now...talked to head high school ref from Southwest NC.  He is calling the state rule rep that is on the rules committee for NFHS.. should have an answer shortly.

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

They must have a football shoe/cleat as outlined in Section 1...

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
Topic starter  

I seem to remember they changed it 3-4 years ago, gotta have a shoe. NFHS Rule 1-5-1 (7) e. It also talks about the kinds of shoes permitted. Interestingly enough, apparently no gymnastics slippers or logging boots are allowed.

I saw that rule but figured there might be an exception for kickers..

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

I saw that rule but figured there might be an exception for kickers..

I think that's the part they changed, removing the exception, but I don't have an old rule book handy to check. I remember our local head official getting up and talking about it one year in the league wide pre-season HC's meeting.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Interestingly enough, apparently no gymnastics slippers or logging boots are allowed.

That prohibition came in 1978, although it's possible that prohibitions with similar effect but different wording preceded it.  The requirement to wear shoes came in some time 1961-1977.  It's possible that an exception was made for a while for kickers and then rescinded.

ReplyQuote
Share: