Notifications

Any fun offensive line drills?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
July 25, 2017 7:21 am  

I'm coaching the offensive and defensive line for 10-11 year olds. You guys have any fun drills that you recommend? I was thinking tug o war. What do you think?

CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
July 25, 2017 7:33 am  

King of the boards....fun, competition....useful, meaningful.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
July 25, 2017 7:58 am  

Thanks coach! What is king of boards exactly?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 25, 2017 8:03 am  

Big fan of Slow Oklahoma, which I just learned a few months ago.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
July 25, 2017 8:13 am  

King of the bag/(boards) is an all-time favorite of mine.

Lay down 4-5 of the long tackling bags, have 2 kids get in a 3-point stance at each end of each bag. On coach's command they fire out and try to push the other past the end of the bag. If the win the match-up, they move one way, if they lose they move the other. The best match-ups work themselves out, and you have the 3 or 4 strongest kids cycling through the last bag to determine who the "King of the Bag" is.

Also Sumo and Towel Game and good too.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
July 25, 2017 8:39 am  

Slow Okkie is awesome, I seen it run by Michael, who as far as I know invented it and should be credited with its' invention and paid royalties whenever the drill is run or even mentioned.
Jokes aside, Slow Oklahoma is pretty awesome and I believe part of the purpose of this drill is to teach linemen what to do when they lose a block.  Most kids will end up chasing a lost block, Michael coaches planting their foot and running as fast as possible to the ball carrier which gives the offensive lineman an opportunity to earhole the defender.

I have to say that two board is also incredible...we had our first practice of the season yesterday and two board was the first football drill that we did...without pads, without over coaching it, plenty of aggression, kids were getting excited, kids were getting pancaked, new kids were blowing up other kids...we got a bunch of reps and contact on blocking without having to talk much.

I'm actually beginning to wonder how much the talking in coaching matters...I've seen enough situations where kids end up doing what works for them...for example my end was taught a superman cut block and he started doing this sit down and pivot on his butt thing.  I'm not sure if it was illegal, he never got flagged for it, I never taught it, it worked...so I never bothered telling him to do anything different.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 25, 2017 8:42 am  

Any "fun" drills?  I have no idea.  You'd have to ask my linemen.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 25, 2017 8:59 am  

Competitive = fun. Take any drill and add a competitive aspect to it and it now becomes fun. If it's not, your enthusiasm needs to improve or the kids are asleep.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
July 25, 2017 9:06 am  

All Oline drills are fun...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 25, 2017 9:25 am  

All Oline drills are fun...

3pt bird dogs are not fun. No way around some of that. LEG is not fun. Once you get past those edds you can make things engaging through competition.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
July 25, 2017 11:12 am  

3pt bird dogs are not fun. No way around some of that. LEG is not fun. Once you get past those edds you can make things engaging through competition.

You can make t fun if you make it a competition. Break it up into two groups and have them see who can do it right, first.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 25, 2017 11:18 am  

You can make t fun if you make it a competition. Break it up into two groups and have them see who can do it right, first.

I lost my friggin mind on a kid last Spring who made bird dog into a "competition".

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 25, 2017 11:39 am  

I'm coaching the offensive and defensive line for 10-11 year olds. You guys have any fun drills that you recommend? I was thinking tug o war. What do you think?

Tug of war's fun but not good preparation for anything except increasing strength of some muscles useful for tackling, and then only insignificantly in the amount of time you'll have.  If you wanted them to have fun with something physical that's that far removed from football, might as well get up a narrow-field scrimmage of rugby -- it'll relate better to American football & be more fun than pulling a rope.

What's fun & instructional for football are sumo & reach-the-reacher.  But it takes a while to get good matches at reach-the-reacher, and because the kids don't have eyes in the backs of their heads, they have to be told who won.  (Then again, that's something they need to get used to in actual games & scrimmages of football.)

For OL I've tried to get a 2-on-1 carry relay race to work, but can't get the kids to take them seriously; they tend to handle the opponent roughly, so maybe it'd be better with actual dummies.

For DL I like running up-down races, where on command you have them switch from running to bear walking & vice versa, but I've had trouble getting kids to take that one seriously too.

A drill I read of here and have had limited opp'ty to use is one where you alternately engage & shed at 5 yard intervals with mostly stationary opposition.  It can be done "rolling" (nearly continuous) so the kids who were stationary get a chance after a few secs. to turn around & do the same, the whole formation moving down the field in 5 yard intervals.  Turn it all around when you run out of space, of course.

If you wedge shoulder into butt, having them wedge & push you around the field, staying together as long as possible, can be fun for them.

Pass protection/pass rush practice with you having the ball can be a lot of fun for them, besides instructional.

Here's one I just thought up: Rip Around The Rosie.  One kid uses the rip move to keep going in one direction around the other, who keeps turning to face him.  The ripper has to use the real steps, though, not just leaning into the other guy & scooter-stepping around him.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 25, 2017 1:02 pm  

I don't want those edds to be a competition though. Get through them correctly asap and move on to other things. To make them competitive would be to start spending extra time on them. See who can hold a 3pt stance the longest? Who cares? We ran hurry up. I need them to do it for about 4 seconds tops.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
July 25, 2017 2:29 pm  

I don't want those edds to be a competition though. Get through them correctly asap and move on to other things. To make them competitive would be to start spending extra time on them. See who can hold a 3pt stance the longest? Who cares? We ran hurry up. I need them to do it for about 4 seconds tops.

Hate. I didn't say you had to make them fun, just that you could make them fun.  😛

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: