RSS

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
July 25, 2017 5:09 pm  

Gumby, over the years I have seen a lot of Dogs that "Wont Hunt".  That being said, some of those Dogs could run with the pack when they got older.  (Hunting Jargon Ensues) They may not Point or Flush worth a Sh*t but, I'll take a Pack Dog that helps drag em down too! 

King of the Boards, Oklahoma, Sumo! (Multi-Purpose) I have more recently incorporated a Tractor Tire Flip!  Being in the Bread Basket of the world we have a lot of used Tractor Tires.  Again Multi-Purpose.  One kid cant flip the tire, 2 maybe, 3 definitely! Add in a Coach and Hand Pad to teach them to come off to Second Level.  ALWAYS BLOCK LOS FIRST! Team Work(Help a Brother Out).  Ive always liked Michael's Tennis Ball on a Cone Drill too.  Get on em, Stay on em, Take em where they wanna go! 

We have a 2 Man-Sled.  If the sled turns to your side, you loose! We use Chutes too. Get Through, On, Fire, and Reach Steps without hearing helmets hit the bars!

8)  😛

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 26, 2017 2:48 am  

Hate. I didn't say you had to make them fun, just that you could make them fun.  😛

You might want to make a trip to the dentist office fun. I mean, you could. I just want to get out of there asap. 

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
July 26, 2017 4:09 am  

You might want to make a trip to the dentist office fun. I mean, you could. I just want to get out of there asap.

I have fun groping the hygienist.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 26, 2017 4:12 am  

I have fun groping the hygienist.

And he's ok with that?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
July 26, 2017 5:08 am  

And he's ok with that?

Well, I hope it is a she considering that it is my wife. 

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 26, 2017 6:23 am  

Well, I hope it is a she considering that it is my wife.

Would of thought that was all settled already.  😛 Even more reason not to go to the dentist...wouldn't want her to see what a baby I am.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
July 26, 2017 7:45 am  

Competitive = fun. Take any drill and add a competitive aspect to it and it now becomes fun. If it's not, your enthusiasm needs to improve or the kids are asleep.

THIS!

King of Boards is my favorite and the kids' favorite, but all you have to do is create a reward for the winners or punishment for the losers in your ordinary drills to make them more fun.  We like to have sled driving competitions where we put our linemen in teams.  We see how far they can drive the sled in 5 or 10 seconds.  The losing team has to run sprint to the end of the goalposts while the winners get an extra water break.

Anything like that is good.  The thing is that you want the drills to teach football skills, too, instead of just being "fun."  I'm not a huge fan of towel wrestling because even though it's fun, to me, it doesn't really do anything to get them better at football.  IMO, just straight up wrestling is better, especially as an offseason thing to help them learn leverage.

For wrap pulls, we also have a competition pull drill where we set up bags, then have two teams of linemen opposite each other.  They skip pull around the bags, then come downhill to "block" each other at the POA with proper technique.  We treat it like King of Boards--we sort them into groups to get the top kids competing with each other to be King of Pulls, too.

Then there's Reach the Reacher, which is the same idea but with two kids trying to reach each other.

Tractor Tire Flip races are awesome for conditioning and building core strength.  You don't want to do those more than once a week, though.

Dusty Ol' Fart mentioned a ton of other great ones up there.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 26, 2017 7:52 am  

I ran the wrap pull as well. Good drill and the kids get into it. For higher rep sake, we didn't have the kids run, we just used something like push ups. Something that was quick.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 26, 2017 10:42 am  

Our Spring team has a kid who is the GOAT when it comes to practice. He's a defense only player. When he knows what play is coming, he is a regular Von Miller. We were Bird Dogging pass pro one day for the o-line because we'd been slipping a little. Mahonz puts some defensive bodies in the way to help with "visuals". We're talking "step, freeze, correct, step, freeze, correct . . . repeat". Practice GOAT is taking GIANT steps, pulling off slow motion rip, swim and spin moves, taking an extra step after "freeze" etc. Anything to "win" the step/freeze o-line bird dog drill.  One of two times I lost it last Spring.

Point is . . . somethings are necessary, but not fun. Competition makes things fun, but you can't make everything competitive.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
July 26, 2017 10:45 am  

Our Spring team has a kid who is the GOAT when it comes to practice. He's a defense only player. When he knows what play is coming, he is a regular Von Miller. We were Bird Dogging pass pro one day for the o-line because we'd been slipping a little. Mahonz puts some defensive bodies in the way to help with "visuals". We're talking "step, freeze, correct, step, freeze, correct . . . repeat". Practice GOAT is taking GIANT steps, pulling off slow motion rip, swim and spin moves, taking an extra step after "freeze" etc. Anything to "win" the step/freeze o-line bird dog drill.  One of two times I lost it last Spring.

Point is . . . somethings are necessary, but not fun. Competition makes things fun, but you can't make everything competitive.

picturing this cracked me up.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 26, 2017 12:06 pm  

picturing this cracked me up.

I've reached a place where I can now laugh at it. ha ha

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 26, 2017 12:11 pm  

I hate practice heroes. Every team has them and every year you have to soundly put them in their place.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 26, 2017 7:30 pm  

This looks like a fun one.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
July 26, 2017 8:00 pm  

Its it OK if I have fun running the drills?  Does that count? 

I suggest that during your parents meeting, you mention the importance of Linemen!  I make no Bones about it. It's the most important position!  Trust me, the mere mention, can set the tone and dissuade some flack!

Why?  Because its a true statement! 

Spoke to some HS Coaches tonight who were truly excited about the Depth they have on the Line! Nuff Said!  Linemen are your unheralded Rock Stars!  8)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
July 27, 2017 4:57 am  

Then there's Reach the Reacher, which is the same idea but with two kids trying to reach each other.

What exactly is "Reach the Reacher"?  It sounds obvious, but can you give some detail?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: