Notifications

Charting offense and defensive plays during the game.  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

coachbillg
(@coachbillg)
Lurker
July 27, 2017 11:49 am  

How do u guys chart offensive and defensive plays during the game.. What forms do you use?
We have HUDL for the first time this season.  I know that HUDL has system to log plays to match game film.
Still learning how that works.

Thanks for the help
coachbillg

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 27, 2017 12:52 pm  

Simple spread sheet on excel. I never bothered to use the more advanced stuff on hudl. I am good at excel so I can manipulate the sheets to pin point what I want and could even go season long if I felt like it. Honestly, I think this whole exercise can be overrated.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
July 27, 2017 2:11 pm  

When I did this my first year coaching HS, I was one of 3 guys in the booth.  I had a simple spreadsheet printed out on paper that I'd write on.

It's been a while, but I remember having each spot numbered with a box for:

Defensive call (I'd get that on the headset and write it down before play)
D&D (also written before play)
Offensive formation (pre-play)
Play ran (our terminology--abbreviate)
Ball carrier #
Result

After each series I'd draw a line on the side to mark off each series so we could look at it that way.  Abbreviation was key!  I still missed plenty of the later boxes  😉

That was my only job in the booth when we were on defense.  We had 2 other guys up there with me: one to watch the front and one to watch the coverage and relay if anyone was loafing or screwing up so we could yank him and talk to him.  When we'd go offense, I'd watch the OL, another would watch the defensive front's reaction while the other guy would see how the secondary responded.  I could talk to the DC on the headset if I needed to at any time and we'd meet at halftime to review and look for patterns.

I remember we had one game where the opponent was trying to formation us into giving up a bubble in the Left B gap so they could run behind their best OL.  We figured that out at halftime and held them to negative yardage in the second half by giving them the bubble they wanted, then firing our OLB or stunting our DE into it again and again until they started going to their right, where we had them outmatched physically.

Another time we noticed that they really wanted to run the ball to their own sideline, so we set the strength there and made life difficult.

That sort of thing is helpful if you can do it, but not always necessary IMO.  I'm not sure most youth coaches can do it in a meaningful way.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 27, 2017 3:24 pm  

How do u guys chart offensive and defensive plays during the game.. What forms do you use?
We have HUDL for the first time this season.  I know that HUDL has system to log plays to match game film.
Still learning how that works.

Thanks for the help
coachbillg

Its youth ball. Do you run enough plays that require charting?

Charting for practice off Hudl...yes. During the games? Not sure it would be worth the efforts. The play caller cant do it so who would do it?

Its like scripting the first 10 plays for the Offense so you can be like Bill Walsh. Well...what if you only run 10-12 plays?

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
July 27, 2017 5:10 pm  

My first year, I wanted chart offense and defense calls with results. Lasted 2 games. Little value compared to film review afterwards.

During the game, I look at their defensive front to see where I can attack and adjust accordingly. On defense, I look at where they are attacking and I adjust accordingly. I find that 95% of the game is won before we step on the field and plan accordingly

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 27, 2017 6:30 pm  

I know that HUDL has system to log plays to match game film. Still learning how that works.

Well good luck with that. ::)

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 28, 2017 3:49 am  

Well good luck with that. ::)

--Dave

Remember Dave, for some reason its only you that hudl hates.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver
July 28, 2017 5:46 am  

some good suggestions in steve belickek's book on this.  and you can get it pretty cheap at any used online book purveyor.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 28, 2017 8:32 am  

Is the purpose of charting plays for self-scouting? Looking at your own tendencies?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 28, 2017 10:12 am  

It sounds like he wants to use it for play calling and defensive adjustments. It's alot of work for a youth staff and I don't know that it will make a difference. Much different with a hs staff with a guy in the booth calling plays with an assistant next to him doing the charting. The hs play callers that I know don't really do it. They call plays based on what the defense is doing, not what might of worked in the last quarter.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 28, 2017 10:28 am  

It sounds like he wants to use it for play calling and defensive adjustments. It's alot of work for a youth staff and I don't know that it will make a difference. Much different with a hs staff with a guy in the both calling plays with an assistant next to him doing the charting. The hs play callers that I know don't really do it. They call plays based on what the defense is doing, not what might of worked in the last quarter.

Plus...at the youth level...if a play is working you can just keep calling it until it does not work anymore. So there is that.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 28, 2017 11:46 am  

Plus...at the youth level...if a play is working you can just keep calling it until it does not work anymore. So there is that.

That's what I'm getting at. They'll have to do something to stop it. Once they do, figure out what they did and attack that. Pretty simple stuff. For a bunch of stuff we used edge counts and that sort of thing. Some of the systems out there explain exactly how you should call your plays.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 28, 2017 12:30 pm  

It sounds like he wants to use it for play calling and defensive adjustments. It's alot of work for a youth staff and I don't know that it will make a difference. Much different with a hs staff with a guy in the booth calling plays with an assistant next to him doing the charting. The hs play callers that I know don't really do it. They call plays based on what the defense is doing, not what might of worked in the last quarter.

So, essentially how the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
August 3, 2017 6:51 am  

I have been charting plays since this group was 7. Only on offense though. I will look at it between offensive series and at half time, see if something is working or not and see if maybe it is time to call a "complimentary" play. We have a HS kid do it for us.

Then I go and use what we charted while watching Hudl after the game. For me, it is interesting to know what we run well, over the course of a game and a season, as well as what doesn't work as well. Using the chart with the Hudl makes me look to see if I can find a specific reason why something is or is not working.

I have attached the form I use. I convert it to pdf because it doesn't want to print right from Excel for me...so both pdf and xls are attached.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 3, 2017 7:09 am  

Is the purpose of charting plays for self-scouting? Looking at your own tendencies?

For us it was to pick up opponent tendencies and get insight into what they were thinking and trying to do, like the team who was formationing the different fronts we used to get a bubble in left B gap and run there.  Once we figured that out, we took that away and shut them down.

You'd think this stuff would be common sense and you'd obviously notice, but with the game going on and your focus on the next play, you might miss some things until you look at the patterns between series or at halftime.

Offensively, it can help you track what's working and what's not or how the defense is adjusting to you in real time.  For some reason, your #1 pass may not be clicking or your top run may be shut down while something else you've only called 3 times might have worked well--but you forgot about it because you were trying to lean on your bread and butter.  Tony Franklin does this--he calls plays as fast as he can based on feel while an assistant charts what's working and what's not, then reminds him to run the stuff that is.

So there is some value... but I just don't think it's worth the effort or even practical for most youth coaches.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: