Notifications
Clear all

Combine

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Combine began last night. 

In our league’s format, the Draftee’s are split into groups, each coaching staff saw half the groups, Last night (Monday), and the rest on Tues (tionight).  We can pretty much run whatever drills we like to evaluate the talent.  Weds, all the groups are seen my all the teams, its basically a chance to verify what you thought you saw before, but moves very quickly, gotta be organized.   Kids who miss the combine, or, are not seen by all the teams are put into a hat, and drawn out after the draft.

We like to run a couple 4 cone drills, to see the kids move, esp. backward and can they stop and change direction smoothly.  Then line them up on the hose at the Guard positions and have them run the guard’s Bucksweep drill vs 2 bags (short/ log and long pull).   We’re looking for agile guards, but we also get and idea of how the kids move, how they take instruction, and are they willing to hit a bag.  If a kid won’t hit a bag, he’s probably not going to hit a person – at least not right away.

Really, really liked what I saw last night.   There are 4 kids everyone knows are head and shoulder above the rest, those play-makers will be long gone before we draft.  But it’s a pretty good looking bunch coming behind them, and in good numbers.  I saw no red flags [attitude / character issues]  in the groups we saw last night, hope for the same tonight.  One group I’d like to have everyone of them.   Lots of average sized kids, who move well, and seemed to like hitting the dummies.  Kind of kids you can play anywhere, and we love versatility. 

But my fav kid, really short and stocky, not quite up to par in agility, but loved throwing his body into the dummies.  I had to brace myself, when he came at my dummy.  When we corrected his form, he quickly took to the instruction.  Overall, athleticism of ~ 5th round talent.  But I fell in love with the kid’s attitude and coachability.    

Hoping for more of the same tonight. 

Only negative is the numbers were not as high as we'd hoped.  7U (Pee Wees) numbers are up, as with the 5th & 6th grades (Sr. level) but we may be looking at about 13 -14 per team at my level (3rd & 4th, Jr's). 

Still, I'm very pleased with what we've seen so far. 

This topic was modified 4 months ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Second night of combine.

The good news just keeps coming.  This is nice looking class coming up.   Not much in the way of elite play-makers, but in general a lot decent athletes.  The ‘ceiling’ may not be as high as in most drafts, but the 'floor' certainly higher and the middle of the “bell curve” is much higher and wider than usual. 

The Red flag kids showed up last night, but only 2 of them, which is really low for most draft classes.  Seems the most of the big boys showed up in these groups.  Real nice group of Linemen in this draft.  HC is thinking, since we’re drafting too late to get the elite kids, and there is such a nice range of 2nd tier athletic types, he may load up on the Linemen.  Made my heart leap, since the Oline is my baby. 

We’ll get a quick look at each group tonight – kind of a ‘conformation’ night.   Sat. is the draft.

One unexpected effect from the lockdowns.   For some reason a  lot of parents don’t seem to know what grade their kids are actually in.    We found 2 kids in the Pee Wees (7U) that were actually 8 yr old 3rd graders and 4 kids in we’ve been evaluating at our level (Jr. 3rd/4th) who belong in the Pee Wees.   One of whom I really had my eye on… <sigh>.  

This post was modified 4 months ago by Coyote

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Last Weds was the last night of the combine, a couple kids moved up in our evaluations, couple kids moved down.   But, still really like  this class.  

Saturday we had the draft, drafting last, ended up with only 13 kids - everyone else has 14.   If any kids sign-up late, the numbers should even us out.  

HC drafts for Defense, as OC, I'm looking at a team with 6 likely OLine kids all of whom I am excited about, 4 of whom can move well enough to play Guard.  2 have never played before.   And 6 back / SE types. 2 of whom have never played before.  Our special kid from last season returns.   

We drafted too far down to get any of the elite talents, which I find especially motivating.   Perhaps the least talented team we've had....   but I really like these kids.   Should be a very interesting season. 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Coyote

ReplyQuote
Share: