(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 1, 2020 6:04 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

the draft isn't the be-all and end-all.

Amen!   

Many (most?) the folk in the league subscribe to the idea that one kid can win the league.  We don't. 

A couple yrs ago another team had a kid who was head and shoulders better than the rest of the league.  In my 5 seasons in this league I've seen no one even close to that kid. 

We beat 'em, same way the OKla. Sooners beat Earl Campbell and the Longhorns.  The Sooners strapped the Selmon brothers to Earl's massive thighs.  We pretty much did the same thing.  This was also the game that really sold our HC on the misdirection in the Wing-T.  On one play the kid actually spun a complete 360 degrees trying to find the ball.  We had some pretty good kids in the backfield, when he took a mis-step, he was chasing the play down from behind.  [FB Trap & Buck short really got to the kid]  

Don't get me wrong, every time he touched the ball (which was nearly every play) I was holding my breath.  We beat 'em in the reg season and again in the championship game.   

But still, its the Jimmy's and the Joe's, not the X and the O's, and we're looking for every edge we can find.

As someone said... "As a coach, all I want is my fair advantage.

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
May 1, 2020 9:33 pm  
Posted by: @coyote

Many (most?) the folk in the league subscribe to the idea that one kid can win the league.

And for the most part, they'd be right.  And here's why:  Most teams in the conference are equally poorly coached.  Neither side has a staff that knows how to overcome a talent disadvantage.  And since each team is equally inept in their coaching inadequacy, having that one kid is enough to tilt the scale.  When Goofball 1 coaches against Goofball 2, then yes, Johnny Studly will make the difference.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 2, 2020 4:07 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

Most teams in the conference are equally poorly coached.

Mmmnnnnn... Well, like I've said in past, the bar is not set real high to out-coach most the teams in our league...   

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 14, 2020 10:33 am  

Drafting...we have a draft league, and we have to redraft our returning players. We have a skills combine, run by the board, coaches do not get to watch, but the league allows us 30 minutes to review the results of the combine prior to the draft.

My draft philosophy...first I go for team need...if I need a big (like I do this season) I take a big...if I need a ball guy, I take a ball guy. Then, friend requests...if Timmy has a friend who wants to play football, and they give me his name, I try and draft him. Sounds weird, right? Not so much...parents are not going to ask me to draft a kid without some sort of athletic ability, friend requests have worked really well for me...have only been bitten once. Then, I go for best available.

What I value is pretty much the same as any football coach, big, fast and athletic...that said, there are a couple of specific measurables I look for on the draft sheets...the first is how far did the kid jump, the second, what was the kid's 10 yard split in his 40...

Both of these measure core strength and the capacity to be explosive.

Generally speaking, I do not normally have to draft many kids after the initial draft, because we return players...drafting requirements come when the leagues population in my particular age group increases. This season, I will have to draft probably 3 kids, as I lost 3. One moved away due to the bat flu...mom couldn't find work here, she found it out of state. The other two were kids who didn't want to play in the first place, and mom and dad figured that out and are going to let them play soccer instead.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 14, 2020 11:05 am  
Posted by: @spidermac

And we have to redraft our returning players.  ... 

I do not normally have to draft many kids after the initial draft, because we return players

Hi Coach,

Redraft returners?  Not sure I follow.  

Our kids are automatic returns to the team drafted (exceptions can be made, if the coach agrees, in which case the kid goes back into the pool).

Every team has a 1st rd pick and will take a last rd pick.  The board then decides which round the returners would go in.  I.e., we have 4 returners...  say we have 18 rds, our returners will be considered 'picks' in the rds the Board assigns them.  Our expectation is our returners will 'cost' us our 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th rd.   [Kids who miss the combine are draw out of a hat - 'lottery' picks]

When our league hits 20 kids/ team, we add another team. Most the coaches seem to like around 16 kids each.  We a 'clear the bench' team... if a kid doesn't play offense he must play defense.   Not allowed to 'start' a kid for a couple plays then bench him, he must play the whole game, one side or the other.  (We can switch which side of the ball they play on at half time)   

Appreciate your input. Thanx

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
May 14, 2020 11:49 am  

@coyote

Okay, so our skills combine...each player is rated 1 through 5 in each "event". Weight, Height, Long Jump, Pro Agility, 40 yards with 10 yard split. The ratings are based upon some crazy formula that takes into consideration how the entire group did in the event. For example, if the median weight of our age group was 68 pounds (making that up) anyone who weighed 68 pounds would get a rating of 3 in that category. There individual ratings are then somehow plugged into another formula and the boy gets an over all rating. 1 means he is a "stud" 5 means he "cannot walk and chew gum". All players whether they are new or returning must participate in the skills combine and all receive a rating.

At registration, the parents decide if Timmy is going to return to his team, or if he is re-entering the draft. Coach has no say.

Draft day, draft order is decided based on last season's standings. New teams if any go first, and get a bonus pick at the end of the first round.

When the draft opens...if your team has returning players that skilled out as a 1, they must be picked before you can take any open player (new or returning to the draft). Once you have drafted your returning 1s, you can then take any draftable player (new or returning to the draft) regardless of the skill rating. So if I have 2 players rated as 1, once I pick those two with my first two picks, I can then draft an available player rated as a 3 (for example). This continues until all of the ones are off the board. Then it starts over with the 2s.

The reason I don't have to draft a lot of players normally is because most of my players all return. And roster sizes are based up the population of the age group...so if there are 140 boys and 10 teams, each team will carry 14 players. We two have a "clear the bench" rule, all players must have a starting position on offense or defense and must play there the entire game, unless they get "injured" or have some sort of equipment malfunction. Once the "injury" or equipment issue is cured, the player must return.

So our maximum roster size would be 22. Unless unavoidable, the league would never let the rosters get that big...largest roster I had was 18. If the age group increased in size by lets say 32 boys, they would create 2 new teams....

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 14, 2020 3:54 pm  
Posted by: @spidermac

Okay, so our skills combine...each player is rated 1 through 5 in each "event" ...

team has returning players that skilled out as a 1, they must be picked before you can take any open player 

Interesting...  in theory, then, the studs get fairly evenly distributed across the league, then the 2's and on down...  

At least there's some semblance of objectivity on rating your returners.  Our board rates the returners, and the last couple yrs, have consistently rated our returners higher than they should be...   This season's returners, our top rated kid is one of the top 4 returning kids in the league and deserves a 2nd rd pick... but the others we anticipate being rated a round or two higher than they should be, which we're taking into a account.

We, too, draft in reverse order of our finish, and since we've made the championship game each of the last 5 seasons, and won it the last 3, we're kinda getting the Belichick/Saban treatment.  We're drafting at the bottom and still finishing at the top, so....  <sigh>

Our combine, the kids get divided up into groups, each coaching staff is allowed to pretty much do whatever they want to evaluate the kids, we see each group twice before the draft.  

My HC likes to get 30 times on the kids, and runs a 4 cone agility drill to see how they move.  As OLine coach, I get some time, too.  Put the kids on a hose, marked out for positions, have two kids at a time run as OG's to block dummies set up as an DE and a wide CB (Sweep blocking).  We're looking at how quickly the kids can take instruction, move their feet, and follow a track.  Looking for hustle.  In space, we tend to "run interference" rather than insist on a laying a slobberknocker on 'em.  Our age group, the kids tend to whiff when going for 'kill shot', but running interference, we do well and consistently.

FWIW, tho not common sometimes kids go back into the draft rather than return to their team.   One case, the parents decided to split up brothers, who were constantly fighting each other (which made for some difficult practices when they were together).   Another case, a blended family split up and the parents didn't want the step-brothers playing together, again.   Another case, a coach married a woman w/ a son on another team, and so the kid moved to his step-dad's team (coaches' sons automatically go with their dad...) but those are the only cases I know of... 

Thanx

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Coyote

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: