Notifications
Clear all

Evals with Large Team (6-8's)

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Morning Coaches,

So this year I have 38 kids ranging from 6-8 (ALL first year tackle) and our first day of evals was a disaster. Thankfully it was all pretty much self induced and I am actively figuring out solutions to address those problems. 

However, no matter how many different ways I set up or plan drills I always feel as though I am going to have kids waiting longer than I am used to. Maybe this is due to the fact that I have never had a team over 24 kids (generally 18-20) or maybe its because I am not being wise with my time and assistants. Either way, below is how I plan to attack this tonight and I was hoping for some feedback and or recommendations on other ways to do things. 

So for our evaluations tonight I plan to evaluate through competition as I have been unable to get maximum effort by explaining that these are drills we use for position placement. Partly because I suck and teaching the importance of that aspect, and partly because a lot of them just don't care (until they get placed). My plan is to have four "lanes" for each of the three speed/agility drills that I have set up which is the 10yd, 25 yd, and 5-10-5. The only one that worries me is the 5-10-5 as the action of seemingly moving any way other than straight is a foreign concept this early on. My hope is that having each coach time their one player while they are competing against other players should produce the most realistic times. This would also allow us to run 4 kids through the drill at once, while I would be able to rove around and watch form, effort and see what kids are focused in on what we are doing. 

Below I will try to give a visual idea of what evals will look like. 

10+25 yd dash                                            5-10-5

P ^  --------->  ^ C                                     ^       P^      ^  C 

For the 5-10-5, the players will be turned facing the middle so they can see the other players to keep up that competitive edge

My concerns are:

1) Don't like lines

- Kids typically mess around in the back (problem with waiting, I know), don't hear the instructions as many times, and it doesn't coincide with a "Want in, Get in" approach. After typing this my inner CoachDP is screaming, "Then don't have lines coach. Just have a reason for not having them"

2) Maybe I should run them in pairs and rotate drills instead of 4 at one station (still unsure). My gut instinct is more kids competing with equal better times.

3) Not even sure if 5-10-5 is worth it. May be better of with something like deer hunter for that one. It has worked very well in the past when looking for kids with high body control, agility and core strength. Anyone have experience with either or both and would like to chime in. 

4) Having four coaches all timing based on one cadence may skew the numbers by possibly .01/.02 of a second due to reaction times of each coach. I don't think this is such a big deal as what I hope to get from these is more of a data based ranking that I can then drill down on from there. So a kid at 5.1 and one at 5.25 or so will fall into the "what immeasurable do you bring with that speed" category. If that makes sense.

My Goal tonight is to get weights on all of the kids, and determine (based on our stripe/dot) rules who my quicker/faster lineman and backs may be. Next week I plan on getting into Gauntlet, 20 yard fight, Sumo/Board drills, etc. to place a gut feeling score along with our times and make some more definite decisions on who will be placed where while we lead up to full pads Aug 3rd. The ONLY reason I am not doing these tonight is that, as I mentioned, our first eval was not well run and I truly believe that getting times on kids is important as it gives me raw data for team wide comparison. 

As always, bluntness is appreciated. 

--Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @bdjackson

My plan is to have four "lanes" for each of the three speed/agility drills that I have set up which is the 10yd, 25 yd, and 5-10-5. The only one that worries me is the 5-10-5 as the action of seemingly moving any way other than straight is a foreign concept this early on.

--That's one reason I don't use a 5-10-5.  The other is, it would give me very little bang for the buck, as the timed-sprint gives me all I'm looking for.

My concerns are:

1) Don't like lines

- Kids typically mess around in the back (problem with waiting, I know), don't hear the instructions as many times, and it doesn't coincide with a "Want in, Get in" approach. After typing this my inner CoachDP is screaming, "Then don't have lines coach. Just have a reason for not having them"

--We don't have lines.  Lines invite distraction, boredom and you lose the ability to demonstrate good and bad examples of the drill because they generally can't see them.  That's why we circle the drill.

3) Not even sure if 5-10-5 is worth it.

--Again, I don't use it.  Nor would I.  I am able to fill all of my time with Dynamics, and then try-out areas for passing, receiving, punting, kicking, deep-snapping and timed sprints.  Drills like Whose Ball and 10-Yard-Fight also help determine positions.  From there, I'm filling my practice with the P.A.I.N! Program.  I don't have enough time in one 2.5 hour practice to get all of that in.

It has worked very well in the past when looking for kids with high body control, agility and core strength.

--Kids at that age with core strength are as rare as hen's teeth.  I don't test for it because I doubt that I'd be able to find a kid that had it.

I truly believe that getting times on kids is important as it gives me raw data for team wide comparison. 

--As do I.  I just gather it from one drill: the timed sprint.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

How many coaches do you have? Watch this might help with some ideas.  

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

I’m not a huge fan of timed runs at the younger ages. A lot of kids don’t get the idea of running through the line and it makes things tricky. I like the Cisar set up where you have the kids race in pods or groups of 3(you could do more with a big team). The winners go to the right, the losers go left. At the end, all of your fastest kids will be in the line all the way to the right, and the slowest will be on the left. I think it fosters some competition and gives a bit of conditioning. It should also be clear to any parents where their kid ranks on the team, but sadly, that doesn’t really pan out. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Funny I was just asked to eval a group of kids last night after this post haha.

7-9 yrs old.  45 kids -7 coaches + me.  

Dynamic warm up - walk, jog, walking hamstring, walking quad, walking lunge twist, bear crawl ,lean fall, jog + tumble. 

Note I picked out the "varsity" team just watching bear crawl and tumble.  Since they paid for 2 hours gotta dress it up.

Literally had all 45 across the sideline and each coach was to watch around 8-10 kids.  Why are we watching a "warm up" ...COORDINATION!!  Kids got a +/- on want up. 

Drill sets with what we are evaluating

Station 1 - 4 point stance - station : coordination and body awareness. 

Station 2 - broad, double jump for distance : explosiveness 

Station 3 - shuttle run : mobility and agility 

Station 4 - patriots drill : coordination and body awareness. 

Station 5 - 10 meter Sprint : linear speed 

Station 6 - tennis ball drill : explosiveness 

Station 7 - change of direction drill : agility and coordination. 

When you evaluate kids especially In a split, first half should be athleticism.  Some kids are fast in a straight line and a youth coach will be his biggest fan, then week 2 he gets the ball and runs straight to the sidelines lol.  Look for coordination,  short explosive movement, and agility.  

Second half should be in pads, the "varsity" I picked will likely be 90% accurate until the pads come on.  When eval in pads I look for the same things as previous but added "contact confidence" scores 1-3.  Various drill only 1 live drill for the first few days. 

So of you're in the Philly area and wanna "invite" me for evaluation or anything exercise lemme know 😉

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

@bucksweep58

I’d love to have you, but I’m only paying for warm ups 😉 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @seth54

@bucksweep58

You can get the dumcoach discount 😉 just give me a Gatorade and water. 

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

Posted by: @bucksweep58

@bucksweep58

You’re lucky I’m not the header, I’d take you up on that offer. And I’m close enough to make it work.

Realistically, my son has a good chance of landing on the JV which means I would likely be the header of that group, but I wouldn’t have any say in who I get.

if that happens, expect a DM from me on running some EC0 style plays

ZACH liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @bucksweep58

@bucksweep58

You’re lucky I’m not the header, I’d take you up on that offer. And I’m close enough to make it work.

Realistically, my son has a good chance of landing on the JV which means I would likely be the header of that group, but I wouldn’t have any say in who I get.

if that happens, expect a DM from me on running some EC0 style plays

You got it dood

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I’m not a huge fan of timed runs at the younger ages. A lot of kids don’t get the idea of running through the line and it makes things tricky. I like the Cisar set up where you have the kids race in pods or groups of 3(you could do more with a big team). The winners go to the right, the losers go left.

We run them in pairs against each other, with a coach clocking each kid.  We mark off a longer distance than what we're timing because 9 times out of 10, kids slow down just before the finish line (even in high school), which skews their time.  So if we're timing them on a 25-yard sprint, we'll mark it at 30 yards or longer, so that they'll continue to run full speed past the 25-yard measuring point.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @coachdp

I’m not a huge fan of timed runs at the younger ages. A lot of kids don’t get the idea of running through the line and it makes things tricky. I like the Cisar set up where you have the kids race in pods or groups of 3(you could do more with a big team). The winners go to the right, the losers go left.

We run them in pairs against each other, with a coach clocking each kid.  We mark off a longer distance than what we're timing because 9 times out of 10, kids slow down just before the finish line (even in high school), which skews their time.  So if we're timing them on a 25-yard sprint, we'll mark it at 30 yards or longer, so that they'll continue to run full speed past the 25-yard measuring point.

--Dave

We actually ran all four groups at once as I felt we got through everyone quicker and it created complete competition amongst the players. I can attest that this resulted in much better times than the previous days attempts. We are going to run them all through again tomorrow but mark off longer distances as you had mentioned to ensure they run through. 

--Brian 

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Share: