Notifications
Clear all

First Day of Practice

Page 1 / 2

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Yesterday was our first day of spring practice.  Approximately 75 players on the field and 15 coaches.  Big change from previous high school.  High intensity for a Day 1 spring practice. Players really getting after it.  Going every day for the next two weeks except for Sundays.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Have met my coaching staff. (Strange to already have one.) Both coordinators seem to be on the same page with me.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Trying to figure out where our advantages will come from.  All high school teams here are already aggressive. We throw the ball, but so does almost everyone else.  Looks very strange to see our O-Line with 3-foot splits. ???

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Must be nice to get your first looks and have those challenges in front of you.  It gets the competitive juices flowing!

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

you get used to seeing those splits after a while...my son's HS is in the 2nd week of spring practices...

I get to catch the tail end every day...and they are getting after it....lots of boys trying to show they belong on the Varsity not the JV...good stuff.

I see you are "undecided" for D...what are you thinking about running?

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I see you are "undecided" for D...what are you thinking about running?

Chris, no we're not undecided.  But there's no "choice" for a mix of fronts and coverages. 😉

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

you get used to seeing those splits after a while

--No, no and no.  How the heck does one run a Wedge in the AirRaid?

lots of boys trying to show they belong on the Varsity not the JV.

--And I'm busy convincing our guys that JV is "The Show."

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

DP...if 3 ft splits freak you out...and you saw our 7 to 8 ft splits, thised be you...

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Looks very strange to see our O-Line with 3-foot splits. ???

I thought you were already used to narrow splits.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Chris, no we're not undecided.  But there's no "choice" for a mix of fronts and coverages. 😉

--Dave

I actually enjoy looking at the "big boys" and their mixed fronts and coverages...and talking to my son about it when I don't understand something they are doing...he gets to float all over the D line depending on the front and coverage they are running...and it is equally interesting when he tells me his job changes depending on what technique that have him aligned in...lots of new (to me) concepts...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

DP

We are in our third week of practice. The Florida heat has kicked in & being physical too. Our players are banged up we look like a MASH unit.

You don't need a wedge if you run trap well enough. Are you getting comfortable with the O ?

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Are you getting comfortable with the O?

Not after only two practices.  I ran Double Wing and nothing else for 14 seasons, so this will take some time.  lol  Fortunately, my OC has been teaching this offense for 6 years.  I'm the third header he's worked with.  And since five (OC, DC, O-Line, 2 WRs) of my seven coaches are former D1 players, I'm not sure the Double Wing would be well received here. One thing for sure is, the QBs and Wideouts are some amazing athletes at this level. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I can't believe we tried to do this at my previous HS with 6 coaches.  We had 18 on the field yesterday and I was still missing one of mine.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum

yah about 20 coaches aint unusual, think we are closer to 30 though

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Entering second week of spring practice.  Just hired an additional offensive line coach.  We have 8 ACs, so far.  2 O-Line, 2 WR, 1 OC/QB/RB, 1 DC/DB, 2 D-Line.  Still looking for a LB coach.  After practice on Wednesday, we have a "Meet the Parents" night for rising freshmen. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: