Notifications

First Two Steps Drill  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
September 29, 2017 12:48 pm  

Our team's always doing drills like that, then coming out of the ladder & taking a hit from a bag-holding coach.  I think it encourages the bad habit of looking down.  I don't see why you'd have such unrealistic practice.  Why not practice the actual 1st 2 steps they'll be taking in games?

As I stated, we work 1st and 2nd step...ALL the time. But I refer you back to my previous posts concerning the training of weak points and developing neurologic pathways. Is it any more unrealistic than doing punch drills from knees?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 29, 2017 4:29 pm  

As I stated, we work 1st and 2nd step...ALL the time. But I refer you back to my previous posts concerning the training of weak points and developing neurologic pathways. Is it any more unrealistic than doing punch drills from knees?

I think it's less realistic because even on your knees, you're using the upper body muscles the same ways.  Doing drills that involve concentrating on fancy footwork & then switching to block shedding or the like (sometimes with little space between to look up) are so unlike what you'd be doing in the game, I think it reinforces doing the wrong things.

The neurologic pathways I'd like to reinforce are cognitive.  Thinking about football moves, and not thinking about ungamelike moves.  Concentrating on taking mincing little steps while putting your feet just so -- what's that got to do with moving your body around a broken field?  You want feedback from your eyes on things at eye level as you move your body around them, not fancy steps on the ground around the squares of a rope ladder or channels made by half-rounds.  One of my big problems when I ran around was that my view of the world would bounce around like crazy; I'd like to help kids develop more of a Steadicam effect in their vision.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
October 1, 2017 11:04 am  

I don't think ladders translate to the oline get off at all. The center of gravity is so different that in my mind it's apples and oranges. Players are slow at get offs due to the fact that core muscles can't effectively shift the center of gravity (weight) very well. It's not a speed thing but a strength issue. Shifting the weight forward some helps as well with pushing off with the non stepping foot. Most are surprised at how few players push off. They are told step so they just move the foot. Pushing off helps move the center of gravity.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
October 2, 2017 8:14 pm  

Ladders won't help your kids first steps any more that they will help your back squat. Don't let that ladder talk slip in front of any of your power lifting buddies...

Get those kids stronger or wait for puberty.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: