Notifications

halftime routine  

RSS

33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
December 3, 2016 5:03 pm  

mostly talking about middleschool - but i would like to hear from the youth guys as well.

how do you use your halftime? we get 10 minutes + a 3 minute warm up time

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
December 3, 2016 5:16 pm  

I usually try not to get irate while the HC spends five minutes talking about how the second half is OUR half. It takes a lot of effort.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 3, 2016 7:04 pm  

We're lucky to get 5 Minutes for Halftime.

As such our discussion is always geared towards how we did in the first half and what needs to be done to accentuate or correct same.  To Michael's Point I dont waste time on whose half is what.  Its look at the Scoreboard and lets keep it up or go over how to right the ship!  Whats wrong and whats right? 

Coach we can beat them off the edge.  Coach we are having a tough time blocking the interior.  Hey, I cant cover this kid without help!  I'm getting double teamed, someone should be free? 
This Dline guy is soft.   

Its either Finish them or Wrap your heads around it and help your brothers out!

The plays we have work!  The Defense we play works as well!  It's your team now execute!

Personally, I am more impressed with an 8-6 Slobberknocker Win than a 20-30 point blow out!  You earn those close ones! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
December 3, 2016 8:49 pm  

I give the kids time to get water, oranges, what ever...2-3 min... small talk about the 1st half and how we need to go inti the second half based off of the 1st. Then small pep talk...then they get loose if they need.  I don't push a " re warm up"

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
December 4, 2016 2:50 am  

First thing I'll do is make sure we're in the right mentality. If we're giving 100% but some making mistakes, I'll calm em down. If we're up big but being lethargic, I might chew some ass. There's nothing funnier than the looks on the new kids faces when they're up 24-0 at half and getting their asses chewed (my vets aren't as surprised).

Then I'll tell them what I'm seeing (as far as issues) and ask what they're seeing on the field. We work together for the best solution.

Then I remind them the 2nd half is OUR half 😉 and we go get warmed back up and play ball

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
December 4, 2016 4:07 am  

I like to give them 3-4 minutes to relax and get some water, while the coaches confer about adjustments and MPR stuff. Then we give them the plan for the 2nd half and a little pep talk. We only do a quick warm up if it is particularly cold and the halftime is longer than 10 minutes.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
December 4, 2016 4:47 am  

mostly talking about middleschool - but i would like to hear from the youth guys as well.

how do you use your halftime? we get 10 minutes + a 3 minute warm up time

5 min medical, hydrate, urinate
Thats time for coaches to process and communicate
5 min to communicate and make adjustments
3 min stretch

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
December 4, 2016 6:27 am  

10 Minute Halftime.

Hard Rule-No coaches talk to kids for first 5 Minutes-let them relax and have fun and Hydrate with Gatorade/Water.

Coaches meeting during first five minutes:

1. What is working on offense? Have they adjusted they way we thought they would?  What is different from our original game plan?

2. Defense-Where are they hurting us?  What have they not run we expected them to?  We always review LB and DE play.

3. Plays-where are we on plays-who needs plays?

4. Quickly discuss one or two adjustments with kids-CALMLY.  We are not rah-rah at halftime.

5.Set up Kick-off-we are almost always kicking off 2nd half.  If we win toss we take the ball and I have found that 95% of time if other team wins toss they defer.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 5, 2016 4:00 am  

In high school, we are 12&3.  In youth, we were 10 (with no additional time for warm up).  In youth, we'd get hydrated, go over 2nd-Half adjustments and then with 3 minutes left the Kickoff Team or KO Return team would line up at their places on the field and take a knee.  In high school, after hydrating, I take 1-2 minutes to go over what has to be improved/changed/not changed for the 2nd-Half and then team goes to their position coaches for the duration.  At the 9:30 mark, we'd go on the field and get ready to warm up.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
somecoach
(@coach-tony)
Bronze
January 29, 2017 7:47 pm  

Walk up

roughly 5-10 minutes of kids in silence to get water/snacks while coaches discuss gameplan

speech/ adjustments on white board

walkout

ReplyQuote
Pantherlinecoach
(@pantherlinecoach)
Bronze
May 14, 2017 9:17 am  

If we are losing, we inform the kids that they "gotta want it!" Also tell our Oline to "block somebody!" Usually does the trick. Isn't that how it goes??

ReplyQuote
Share: