RSS

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
September 23, 2020 10:38 am  

Coaches,

Seems every yr we have 2-4 kids (usually 1st yrs who’ve never played before) who show great potential during the combine, but take a while before the light bulb comes on and they have the break-out game (showing we were right to draft the kid).  This yr, we’ve been waiting for one of OG’s to light it up, he’s been solid, but last game (Gm 4) he came alive and dominated (vs a decent DLman and a stud DE) the way we’d envisioned back in the combine.

We really talked him up after the game and in today’s practice (we only practice on Tues and Thurs) regarding the way he played, which we do whenever a kid has that break-out game.  But we got to talking after practice, and are thinking maybe we outta have some kind of special recognition for those games.

Your thoughts Pro / Con?  

Do you do anything special in these cases, and if so, what?

Thanx

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 23, 2020 11:08 am  

We do...

So, we give helmet stickers for Good News...and we also give them for team goals met...i.e., Off the Field on average in 5 plays or less on defense...Good News are red bones, team goals are black bones...

But to take care of stuff like you are talking about, we use silver bones...hustle plays, effort plays...things like pancake blocks or driving your guy down the field to the bus depot...

We used to do a "dirty jersey" for the best Big of the game, but as our bigs are so many different sizes and we only had one dirty jersey...we kind of retired that one.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 23, 2020 12:05 pm  
Posted by: @coyote

Coaches,

Seems every yr we have 2-4 kids (usually 1st yrs who’ve never played before) who show great potential during the combine, but take a while before the light bulb comes on and they have the break-out game (showing we were right to draft the kid).  This yr, we’ve been waiting for one of OG’s to light it up, he’s been solid, but last game (Gm 4) he came alive and dominated (vs a decent DLman and a stud DE) the way we’d envisioned back in the combine.

We really talked him up after the game and in today’s practice (we only practice on Tues and Thurs) regarding the way he played, which we do whenever a kid has that break-out game.  But we got to talking after practice, and are thinking maybe we outta have some kind of special recognition for those games.

Your thoughts Pro / Con?  

Do you do anything special in these cases, and if so, what?

Thanx

Nothing wrong with those kinds of awards.  But coaches need to stay on top of it for them to have any value.  And implemented the wrong way it can easily get turned into a "everyone gets one" type of thing.  You have the potential to open Pandora's Box with not only players but parents.  ("Why hasn't MY son gotten one?!")

We've done helmet stickers, but that was only for a player bringing me a school paper with an A on it, so that was not an opinion-award; it was factual.  We've given Crunch Bars for causing or recovering fumbles, but again that was not opinion.  I've given away one game ball in my career, when a backup QB did a great job in absence of our starter.  Other than that, I've left it alone until Banquet Time.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 23, 2020 4:18 pm  

@coachdp

Dave, I hear you...subjective vs objective...

The red bones are objective...paper has an A or a 94 or whatever, no questions asked.

The black bones again are objective...did we get them off the field in 5 plays or less? Did we not turn the ball over? Did we take the ball away? again no questions asked.

Silver bones...again, I believe they are objective, because I am the only one who awards the silver bones. It is my criteria that is being used to decide who receives a silver bone. And the amount of time I spend on game film, i believe it is unlikely that I am going to miss something that meets my criteria 🙂

We did have one game last season where the vendor we paid to film our games had an equipment malfunction and we did not have complete film on the game...no black or silver bones went out for that game, as I had no objective evidence that we met our goals and I did not believe it was right to give anyone a silver bone if I could not evaluate the entire game.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 23, 2020 5:01 pm  

I like the idea, as long as you are a coach who watches film.

For two years I worked for HC who NEVER watched any film but ALWAYS told individuals how well or poorly they played...drove me absolutely crazy. I would watch the film several times before our next practice. He was almost NEVER right either way. The feedback was worthless.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Share: