Notifications

League mandates limited contact  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
June 25, 2018 8:15 am  

So I was notified that beginning in the 2019 season we will be limited by league rules to only two contact practices per week.  Beginning in 2020 season the 12U division will be limited to one.

I'm not a fan of TYFA dictating to us how we practice. 

Essentially we're being penalized because some idiots went full Friday Night Tykes and believed that's how you're supposed to coach a football team.

However, it looks like it's going to happen regardless if we like it or not.  So if that's the case we might as well start figuring it out how we're gonna make it work so we'll be ahead of the curve next season.

I’m still waiting on clarification from the league on what exactly they consider “contact and non-contact”. 

It’s unfortunate but I know we’re not the only league to deal with this sort of thing and I honestly believe that this is the direction most youth leagues are going to be heading in the future. 

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
June 25, 2018 8:23 am  

When it comes to this topic the thing that makes me scratch my head is they are changing how we practice yet  game-day itself stays the same.

It makes no sense. Before long these players are simply not going to be ready to play a game.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
June 25, 2018 11:15 am  

Here's where I probably differ from most coaches. I don't think that an aggressive player is any more safe (physically) than a passive one. Running full speed at another object definitely raises your "danger factor" and nothing will convince me otherwise. What I have come to accept is that there is a certain level of danger to playing football, or any other sport for that matter. I don't believe that the added danger from being aggressive is significant.

What I do feel strongly about is that my reason for coaching aggression and violence is to raise the bar as to what "hurt" means. So a player who is not used to violent collisions will think he's hurt long before the aggressive player will.

I also feel strongly that it is imperative to get a lot of full contact reps in order to play safely at full tilt. When I look back at our practice injuries over the years, they were almost always related to an unsafe technique being employed. Fewer full contact reps means fewer opportunities to correct that technique. In that regard, I agree that less contact in practice will result in more players being unprepared on game day.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
June 25, 2018 11:22 am  

Before long these players are simply not going to be ready to play a game.

What we saw in TYFA wasn't readying players for anything (except perhaps, to quit).

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
June 25, 2018 11:34 am  

Our league has had those limits in place for the last five years once the games begin.

We are limited to two  full pad practices per week lasting 1 hour and 45 minutes with unlimited contact, and one practice for one hour in Helmet only per week.

For us it is plenty of time to get ready for a game.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
June 25, 2018 11:36 am  

Our league has had those limits in place for the last five years once the games begin.

We are limited to two  full pad practices per week lasting 1 hour and 45 minutes with unlimited contact, and one practice for one hour in Helmet only per week.

For us it is plenty of time to get ready for a game.

Seems reasonable.

Im thinking this 2020 mandate of one day is a bit extreme.

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
June 25, 2018 1:41 pm  

Seems reasonable.

Im thinking this 2020 mandate of one day is a bit extreme.

Like it or not these rules are here to stay.

It’s on us as coaches now to work within them. 

I feel like that we can get it done.  It will require us to change the way we practice obviously, but I’m looking at it as a challenge rather than a handicap.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
June 25, 2018 2:14 pm  

Like it or not these rules are here to stay.

It’s on us as coaches now to work within them. 

I feel like that we can get it done.  It will require us to change the way we practice obviously, but I’m looking at it as a challenge rather than a handicap.

Maybe they will allow 2 days in pre season since there are no games.

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
June 25, 2018 2:34 pm  

Maybe they will allow 2 days in pre season since there are no games.

The rule doesn’t kick in until next season. 

Our BOD is pushing for us to do it this year so we’re ahead of the curve so to speak.

That being said there has been significant chatter amongst the board members and coaches about how to implement it this season or even if we should.

Keep in mind our first 9 practices are already mandated to be non-contact “conditioning” practices. 

After that we’ll have an entire month of practice before our first game with a jamboree or scrimmage somewhere in there. 

So in theory we may be able to do that but until the league clarifies a few things we don’t know for sure.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold
June 25, 2018 2:37 pm  

The good news is that everyone will be limited in the same exact way.  My teams only practice 2-3 times per week for 90-120 minutes each practice.  Many practice 3-4 times per week for at least 120 minutes.  I've never seen the need for it, if you have a purpose, have everything planned out, and coach with high energy you will get more out of your players than the coach that is doing 3-4 times per week and 120-150 minutes each practice.

If you're really concerned about the limits, plan your practices accordingly.  It sounds like you can still do other practices, they just have to be non-contact.  So do 2 practices per week that focus on contact and do 1-2 practices per week of things like running through plays on air, agility drills, going over assignments, etc.

At 12u you have an interesting dilemma, but it's the same idea.  The problem with one contact practice per week is that you probably need more than that the first couple of weeks for any kids that are new and never played football before.  But it's still doable if you plan your practices accordingly.

Change can be difficult, but if these rules of limiting the number of contact practices per week will quiet down those that have been calling for banning youth football.....It's worth it to make these changes.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
June 25, 2018 3:03 pm  

The rule doesn’t kick in until next season. 

Our BOD is pushing for us to do it this year so we’re ahead of the curve so to speak.

That being said there has been significant chatter amongst the board members and coaches about how to implement it this season or even if we should.

Keep in mind our first 9 practices are already mandated to be non-contact “conditioning” practices. 

After that we’ll have an entire month of practice before our first game with a jamboree or scrimmage somewhere in there. 

So in theory we may be able to do that but until the league clarifies a few things we don’t know for sure.

I meant in 2020 when one day of contact kicks in. The kids need to acclimate to contact so they can play confident football. Otherwise it gets a bit sketchy. You've played that team before Im sure...the one that plays scared. Lots of kids getting helped off the field is my take.

Here is my argument...and yes I have had this discussion with the Talking Heads before....the average youth football game lasts about 100-110 minutes. The actual running of a plays is about 30-35 of those minutes. Now factor in the two way players that most youth teams implement.

If you truly and honestly track how much hitting you do in a 90 minute practice session and average it out....its maybe 15-20 minutes tops. So logic says you should probably hit at least as much in practice as you do in the game. For me that equals two practice sessions minimum.

Its either that or make the games shorter.

I believe two 90-120 minute practice sessions with no limitations and then add one in Shells only is perfect like they want you to do in 2019. I think if you acclimated this year even though your Opponents will not...not a terrible idea because you will still be able to hit as much as you will during a game.

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
June 25, 2018 4:36 pm  

I meant in 2020 when one day of contact kicks in. The kids need to acclimate to contact so they can play confident football. Otherwise it gets a bit sketchy. You've played that team before Im sure...the one that plays scared. Lots of kids getting helped off the field is my take.

Here is my argument...and yes I have had this discussion with the Talking Heads before....the average youth football game lasts about 100-110 minutes. The actual running of a plays is about 30-35 of those minutes. Now factor in the two way players that most youth teams implement.

If you truly and honestly track how much hitting you do in a 90 minute practice session and average it out....its maybe 15-20 minutes tops. So logic says you should probably hit at least as much in practice as you do in the game. For me that equals two practice sessions minimum.

Its either that or make the games shorter.

I believe two 90-120 minute practice sessions with no limitations and then add one in Shells only is perfect like they want you to do in 2019. I think if you acclimated this year even though your Opponents will not...not a terrible idea because you will still be able to hit as much as you will during a game.

I get what you’re saying.  Right now it doesn’t present a significant hurdle, we just have to adjust and practice smarter.

The 12U division could have some challenges  even though first year players are pretty rare at that level they still happen. 

Pretty hard to teach a player a game predicated on violent collisions without....violent collisions.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
June 25, 2018 6:29 pm  

I attached the Michigan High School Athletic Assoc.’s policy. Our league follows these guidelines. So 90 full minutes of collision practice a week. But they can have unlimited contact on dummies, sleds and shields. Definitely have to plan well. Also, I’ve never seen a league official at our facilities, but I’m not chancing it. Can still practice technique plenty.  And I don’t think whose ball falls under live speed collision practice. 😁

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
June 26, 2018 5:18 am  

So interesting thing here. We are a USA Football league, we were one of the pilot leagues for their rookie tackle initiative. But...we do not follow USA Football's contact guidelines, which, the last time I looked at them seemed pretty reasonable.

What we do...UIL mandates 4 unpadded practices, helmets can be worn, we wear them during those 4 practices...during those 4 practices, we install, we do back work, we work on tackle fits, blocking fits, we condition. Oh, and the league mandates that we are only allow to have 4 practices a week until the games start, then we are only allow to have three...in the preseason, we take all 4 per week we are allowed to have, and after the 4 unpadded practices, we go into full pads...we hit every practice, full speed on the days we are in full pads. Once the games start, we do two fully padded practices, and we will hit full speed in those practices...the 3rd practice, we go half pads, helmets and shoulder pad, and it is a walk through (we call it kicking the grass). No full speed contact, although the boys manage to tackle one another, pancake one another...but its still different...

Like I said, the league does not limit the amount of contact we can have within the practices, we do that on our own...and like I said, if we are in pads, we are going to go full speed, not the entire practice, but we still go full speed.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
June 28, 2018 7:46 pm  

When it comes to this topic the thing that makes me scratch my head is they are changing how we practice yet  game-day itself stays the same.

It makes no sense. Before long these players are simply not going to be ready to play a game.

Not only that, but the players are going to be less enthusiastic about practice, and less likely to come out for tackle football, period.  The more you limit practice, the more boring it gets.  Kids are in it for the whole experience, not just games.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: