Clear all

O line motivation

GG
 GG
(@_gg_)
Lurker
Topic starter  

Hello,

Coaching in Europe at a level weaker than you US coachs, our youngs still enjoying this beautifull game.

We manage and know now how to choose position for most of the kids but my question from your experience is about two position choices:

1) How do you exactly decide that a tall kid will play OFFENSIVE or DEFENSIVE lineman? (plus the fact that all tall kids wanna play defense)
2) How do you exactly decide that a small and fast kid will play WIDE RECEIVER or DEFENSIVE BACK? (plus the fact that all fast kids wanna play offense)

TY in advance!
GG

Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Watch the tall kids run. Most don't run well enough to play D-Line. If you have a kid who can and change direction, hold on, because their will coaches knocking on his door.
Most db's are either super aggressive and or cant catch.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

GG,

Welcome!

I may suggest an alternate approach. Decide which positions are most important to you in order. Then, fill them with the players who can perform the job. Don't worry so much about tall/short/fast/slow/big/small. If your most important position is Defensive End (for example), place your best defensive end there, regardless of his size and/or shape.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Speed...for players who either will get the ball or are equal to those who are getting the ball

Size against kids of size

Some cases of the opposite work too

Comes to preference honostly

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
GG
 GG
(@_gg_)
Lurker
Topic starter  

TY for those first answers -

User007: Interesting point to put the fast foot tall kids in defense - We may have been wrong but here we wanted them in offense because of the run blocks more numerous than the pass blocks so we need tall kids able to run here or there fast ... So still in this error we did place the slower tall kids (or new ones) as down defensive linemen (ooops)!

Gumby: TY for this interesting advice because in some cases we did place in FB position a kid taller than his OL witch didn't always understand why they were blocking ahead of the big boy. The answer: He was a huge FB doing a great job there!

To be said: We have difficulties to motivate the OL here because when they learn they will never get the ball, THE BIG KIDS LEAVE TOWARD RUGBY WERE THEY GET THE BALL AND THE PRESTIGE (even more than the little kids)! But we did find motivations now: Telling them for exemple that BLOCKING is forbidden in all the world sports and is the REAL AMERICAN FOOTBALL FUN PLAY! The LB & RB playing only a kind of Rugby game and the WR & DB playing kind of Basketball or Handball etc.

GG

ReplyQuote
Share: