Notifications

Practice Ratios  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
August 3, 2017 1:25 pm  

Judging the value of a practice segment by its length is like judging school quality by money spent.  There's WAY more going on.

If the kids aren't getting better every single minute of the practice segment, some of the minutes are worthless.

Are those totals what each kid has gotten or what the team as a whole has done?  Having small groups rotating between stations is much different from having the whole team do one thing and then having the whole team do another thing.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 3, 2017 1:58 pm  

Judging the value of a practice segment by its length is like judging school quality by money spent.  There's WAY more going on.

If the kids aren't getting better every single minute of the practice segment, some of the minutes are worthless.

Are those totals what each kid has gotten or what the team as a whole has done?  Having small groups rotating between stations is much different from having the whole team do one thing and then having the whole team do another thing.

I haven't had more than 7 kids at a single practice, so multiple stations isn't really necessary yet. So yes, the whole team has done every drill at the same time.

Coach, I am also not using this as a be-all and end-all of analyzing how effective I am as a coach. I was just looking at previous practice plans and we curious how I had spent my time so far, compared to how I "felt" I had. I am a very analytic person, and try to quantify many things that maybe don't need or shouldn't be quantified. Was wondering if anyone else had done the same or if they had the right mix of areas they strive for with their practice time.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
August 3, 2017 5:00 pm  

I wasn't ripping it. I'd always rather have more info than less. I was just pointing out the kinds of things I think about when analyzing what we're doing with our practice time.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 3, 2017 7:03 pm  

I wasn't ripping it. I'd always rather have more info than less. I was just pointing out the kinds of things I think about when analyzing what we're doing with our practice time.

Fair enough, and I appreciate your time and input as well as everyone else in here.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
August 4, 2017 7:32 am  

We legit spend two minutes on true warmups. 

Pre-Practice, when kids arrive they get their gear on and head to our "Settle N Noose" drill.  This keeps them organized so no horseplay, while getting them somewhat warmed up.  Some kids do not arrive early.  Promptly at start time, we line up and do what is essentially 10 seconds of stationary high knees, 3 straight leg kicks per leg, 5 burpees, some neck stretches (not neck rolls).  That is our warm up.  We aren't even doing this to necessarily warm up.  We do it as a mental signal that "Hey, practice has officially started.  Get your sh!t together and listen up!"

Next we roll into angle form tackling... half to 3/4 speed, not tackling to the ground, emphasis on FORM.  We do this for 10 minutes.  You could consider it part of warm ups, but it is a football specific drill.  Once that is done, everybody is warmed up.

Like many on here, we focus on quick practices and football specific drills to do our conditioning.  Sprints are rare.  We do them day one to see who is fast.  After that, will only do them at the end of a practice if I feel like the kids had a poor practice.  Which typically only happens once per season, usually early on.  So far, this year... nada.

We do end practice with Circle of Death.  Kids hate it (but secretly love it).  It can be considered conditioning... mental and physical... but is also a surprisingly great team building activity.

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
August 4, 2017 8:07 am  

Our practice starts very similar to this.

We have our fourth day of practice Saturday-our first in full pads-and we are down to a four minute warm-up.

We then go straight to our tackling circuit which starts with all three groups doing MHcoach's Hawk Tackling from knees drill. 

Never any sprints.

Conditions is accomplished with fast paced drills, Defensive Pursuit, Offensive on Air with tons of substitutions.

Practices are planned down to the minute.

We use a time clock during practice that keeps us dead on schedule and we never vary from the plan by running over time in segments.

Our practices are one hour and 45 minutes.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
August 4, 2017 10:51 am  

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 4, 2017 11:03 am  

I really feel like people are misunderstanding what I am doing. A 15-minute warm up that is HALF angle form tackling is not unreasonable. And we become more efficient at this and it will take even less time.

I have not run a single sprint, lap, gasser or burpee. Other than a couple rounds of Enduro, everything under the "Conditioning/Evaluation Games" section has had both a fun and a competition element to it, and the kids usually end up to do what ever game again next practice. I hope I have been clear here.

Getting back on topic, I am surprised no one else has looked at their practice time in this fashion, and developed a ratio that they are looking to achieve.

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
August 4, 2017 11:19 am  

Are these 8 practices you have had real full team practices or some type of optional conditioning?

We have had three helmet only practices and go full pads on Saturday.

Early in the season I like to be around 60% defense.  At this time we are not doing any special teams.

I put my best 11 on defense.

We are committed to defense.

I just looked at my Practice Plan for Saturday.  The ratio is as follows:

Defense                                                                      54%

Offense                                                                      30%

Warm up and a 12 minute Game of Dummy Relays
        with winners chunking water balloons at all
        losers and losing coaches  afterwards                                16%

The only ratio I look at is Defense/Offense.  I am an offensive guy so this is a check and balance that I am giving enough time to defense.

What jumps out at me about your ratios is the lack of time spent on defense.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 4, 2017 11:29 am  

I really feel like people are misunderstanding what I am doing. A 15-minute warm up that is HALF angle form tackling is not unreasonable. And we become more efficient at this and it will take even less time.

I have not run a single sprint, lap, gasser or burpee. Other than a couple rounds of Enduro, everything under the "Conditioning/Evaluation Games" section has had both a fun and a competition element to it, and the kids usually end up to do what ever game again next practice. I hope I have been clear here.

Getting back on topic, I am surprised no one else has looked at their practice time in this fashion, and developed a ratio that they are looking to achieve.

I have always broken down practice into roughly 20 minute blocks.

If behind on something....double up a block to address this. If ahead on something then use that block for something else.

Agilities for me are important as its sets the tone as far as the regiment is concerned.

For me a practice session is a regiment from the very moment the kids show up to the final Breakdown. My pace is casual. Never a race to get something done. Besides....Im too old for that.  😛  Its Quality over Quantity for me. Each coach uses his blocks for whatever purpose they deem necessary. If the Line coach is good with his D-line....do more O-line...and so on. Whatever. I dont care. Or should I say....Im not that anal. Just get er done. 

Agilities - 15 minutes.

Block One- ST's

Block Two - Flavor of the Day

Block Three - Group ( always flexible if need be )

Block Four  - Team / Scout ( always flexible if need be )

Breakdown - 5 minutes ( Always longer for Promise Keepers the day prior to game day so another Block is shortened )

We practice for 105 minutes on the dot.

The ratios depend on the age group and where we are at in the season. The first practice of the season is VASTLY different than the last one. The last one is always Carnival where we have competitions....for money.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
August 4, 2017 11:33 am  

A 15-minute warm up that is HALF angle form tackling

To me that's 7-1/2 minutes of warm-up and 7-1/2 minutes of practice.

The more you can have practice devour your warm-ups, the better.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 4, 2017 11:33 am  

Are these 8 practices you have had real full team practices or some type of optional conditioning?

Early in the season I like to be around 60% defense.  At this time we are not doing any special teams.

I put my best 11 on defense.

We are committed to defense.

I just looked at my Practice Plan for Saturday.  The ratio is as follows:

Defense                                                                      54%

Offense                                                                      30%

Warm up and a 12 minute Game of Dummy Relays
        with winners chunking water balloons at all
        losers and losing coaches  afterwards                                16%

The only ratio I look at is Defense/Offense.  I am an offensive guy so this is a check and balance that I am giving enough time to defense.

What jumps out at me about your ratios is the lack of time spent on defense.

Thanks coach, I appreciate you putting in the time. Yes, I was also concerned that I am neglecting defence. I will start to remedy this next week. Part of the problem is I have not been able to organize with my two AC's who is actually going to run the defence, and introduce them to the defence I would run if they don't have one. On the defensive side I have focused mostly on tackling technique, but will continue to progress into more position specific skills and responsibilities.

We have had 6 or 7 kids at most of these practices. Not optional, just only have 10 kids total registered. I am new to this org. and have been assured kids start piling in once baseball and summer holidays wrap up. It is disappointing, but this is the hand I am dealt and I am going to make the best I can of it.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
August 4, 2017 1:37 pm  

No, no... yours and mine are similar.  Angle Form Tackling is a warmup for us... just not presented as such.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
August 4, 2017 1:41 pm  

This might sound crazy, but my justification is that the most dangerous part of practice (especially the first couple HOT August weeks) is heat and helmets make that worse.  Never understood the helmets and shorts thing.  Helmets are for protection and they are doing the opposite during the acclimation days.  We were strictly shorts and tshirt the first day.  Second day, we wore shoulder pads and NO HELMETS.  Even ran Angle Form Tackling like this.  Talk about kids keeping their heads out of the way...

Also work on hitting sleds and this works better when wearing shoulder pads and no helmets.  The form was much better than the first day we actually wore helmets.  Thinking about removing helmets for these drill all season long now.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
August 4, 2017 1:45 pm  

2 days of practice at 2 hours a day and I have spent 40% on blocking drills.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: