Notifications

Pre-Season Camp  

RSS

33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
June 22, 2017 3:25 pm  

Like many of you - we have a pre-season camp coming up in a month.

im looking for ideas on how to structure this camp, here are the parameters im working with:

• total of 10 practices, 2 hours a day.
  • 3 or 4 coaches total.
  • Helmets Only (No Contact).

these players coming to camp will be all over the place in terms of experience. some it will be their first sport practice, some will be seasoned vets...

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
June 30, 2017 5:09 am  

That's more of a challenge with different aged kids who will end up being coached by different headers.  Is there a certain group of drills or approach that all the coaches can agree would be beneficial?  We did these multi-age camps, but they weren't really productive from a football development standpoint.  They were very beneficial from a recruiting and pre-registration standpoint.  My suggestion would be to have to the coaches work with their age group, and in that way the drills and approach may be very different and noncohesive.  For instance, I wouldn't waste a camp working on 3-point stance because I have more important aspects I'd want to teach my age group in that limited period of time.  But other coaches may find teaching 3-point stance as highly important in their age group.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
June 30, 2017 5:11 am  

A question: why wear helmets if it's "no contact?"

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
June 30, 2017 6:29 am  

A question: why wear helmets if it's "no contact?"

--Dave

I will be doing that this season as I have kids that have never worn a helmet and, with the little ones, it cuts down on the crying if they get used to it early on.  We even have them wearing them when they are watching TV so that they are used to the change in view and they get comfortable with them.  Fortunately, we have better helmets now than in the past, so they are pretty comfortable. 

ReplyQuote
33coach
(@33coach)
Bronze
July 3, 2017 8:30 am  

so i should clarify:
-- its all one age group but varying levels of experience
-- helmets are worn because...its always been done that way? we issue helmets day 1 😛

STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HSNewly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

ReplyQuote
Share: