QB Evaluation  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

JRP8
 JRP8
(@jrp8)
Lurker
November 13, 2019 7:44 pm  

We just finished our 7th grade season 5-3. It was our best year ever. I am curious how our QB measures up against others his age? He is 12yrs old and some stats over 8 games follow :
Passing yds- About 1500/16 TD
Rushing yds About 200/2 TD
Interceptions -11
Would you say these # 's are Below, Avg, or Above ?
He is incredibly accurate 60-70% of the time and can make all the throws. Short and intermediate routes are crisp, and his big ball pushes 35-40 yds accurately. Mechanics aren't perfect but are ok most of the time. Throws 7 out of 10 routes on his route tree very well the other 3 aren't terrible just need some work. He is 5'5 125lbs not incredibly fast but quick enough to make the first guy miss. Biggest drawback is maintaining a positive attitude and melting down in tough games or after a mistake is made. Any thoughts, advice is appreciated.

Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 14, 2019 4:28 am  

We just finished our 7th grade season 5-3. It was our best year ever. I am curious how our QB measures up against others his age? He is 12yrs old and some stats over 8 games follow :
Passing yds- About 1500/16 TD
Rushing yds About 200/2 TD
Interceptions -11
He is incredibly accurate 60-70% of the time and can make all the throws. Short and intermediate routes are crisp, and his big ball pushes 35-40 yds accurately. Mechanics aren't perfect but are ok most of the time. Throws 7 out of 10 routes on his route tree very well the other 3 aren't terrible just need some work. He is 5'5 125lbs not incredibly fast but quick enough to make the first guy miss.

Sounds about average

Biggest drawback is maintaining a positive attitude and melting down in tough games or after a mistake is made. Any thoughts, advice is appreciated.

5-3 is average
60-70% being able to make "all" the throws? Does that mean they make it there and the receiver doesn't catch it? If he only makes the throws 60-70% of the time that's under average. I don't know if youre talking completion% or accuracy.

His attitude needs to be worked on more than anything.

The rest is pretty average given the information at hand.

IMO he needs more pressure at practice he also needs to push himself to be better. The attitude you have stated is hard to shake, in tough times most will revert back to that type of attitude if that is truly who they are.

QBs get most of the praise when things go right, the unfortunate thing is they also get the majority of the blame when things go wrong and some just cant handle it.
Both are unfair, but it comes with the territory

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
November 14, 2019 4:44 am  

Personally, I don't like the TD to INT ratio...

And there really isn't enough data here to give an accurate appraisal, beyond the TD to INT ratio.

But other things...how is the pass pro? how are his receivers? were his picks bad decisions? good defensive plays? off the receivers hands?

Regarding the rushing? 200 yards on how many attempts? Were they designed rushes?

What type of offense is he in?

Etc....

Like Robert said...attitude is everything...if he can't keep his composure, he won't be a QB for much longer.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 5:13 am  

We just finished our 7th grade season 5-3. It was our best year ever. I am curious how our QB measures up against others his age?

--What is it you want to measure?  How good of a season he had?  Or, how good of a player he is?  In youth ball, the closest comparable measurement of success is when you're comparing teams with the same opponents.  But how do you measure your passing QB against my Double Wing QB's season?

--You say he is "incredibly accurate," but don't post his completion pct.  There's a big difference between 60% and 70%, if you're throwing a lot.  And despite his "about 1500" yards passing, I don't know how many passes he threw, or how many were caught.  NFL stats are only compared against the NFL.  NCAA D1 stats are compared against D1 competition.  7th grade teams are all over the country and thus vary greatly due to school/org size, talent and coaching.  Also "system QBs" are much more likely to have better passing stats, than non-system QBs, just like Double Wing offenses are likely to create hefty rushing totals.

--Youth stats from one kid/team/conference are pretty much non-comparable to others outside of that conference.  Reason being, the quality of play in one rec league can vary greatly compared to the quality of play in another.  That's why NCAA Division 3 stats aren't tabulated against Division 1 stats.  When I was a youth coach, we won 90 out of 93 games in our conference over an 11 year period.  How did that compare against other coaches on this forum?  It doesn't.  They didn't play against the teams we did.  Our competition may have been much worse.  Their competition could have been more difficult.  Ours was an age/weight Pop Warner conference.  How does that compare against someone coaching unlimited weights?  We had MPR rules.  Other leagues don't.  It's like comparing apples to door hinges.  They're not remotely close.  What you can do is compare your son's season to the other QB's in his conference, but even then, the quality of coaching varies greatly from one youth team to another, as does the offensive scheme and the receivers they have.  It really isn't an even playing field.

Since you're obviously a passing team, perhaps you could share your approach to the passing game as it pertains to the youth level.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 5:21 am  

And there really isn't enough data here to give an accurate appraisal, beyond the TD to INT ratio.

--Speaking of data, "about 1500" yards passing, "about 200" yards rushing....aren't really stats.  Or, they're just poorly monitored ones.  Either you keep accurate numbers, or you don't.  Generalizing numbers are just estimates.  They're not stats.

Regarding the rushing? 200 yards on how many attempts? Were they designed rushes?

--How many were sacks?  Our high school QB was a good runner, but ended up with a poor YPC, due to the number of sacks he took.  Still, he was a dangerous runner.

What type of offense is he in?

--I'd be curious, myself.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 5:38 am  

Biggest drawback is maintaining a positive attitude and melting down in tough games or after a mistake is made. Any thoughts, advice is appreciated.

The above is often based on the type of relationship the player has with the person who's coaching him.  If that's you (and if you're his dad), that's a common result of the player feeling too much pressure or the parent pushing too hard.  But this can be a quick fix by letting the QB know you trust him with the keys of the offense, that he shouldn't be afraid to make mistakes and supporting him when those mistakes occur.  Many times, there is an inordinate amount of pressure on a youth quarterback when dad is also the HC/OC.

One of the most ridiculous coaching examples I see on a common basis is when the coach tells the players, "If you're going to make a mistake, at least make it at 100 miles per hour."  Then when their offensive lineman gets called for being 30 yards downfield on a Hail Mary, the coach is yelling at his lineman "What are you doing?! @#$%^". As a coach, you can't have it both ways.

Many players feel like they can escape a coach's wrath by having a meltdown, which is usually the player thinking "If I lose my composure and show everyone how down on myself I am, not only will the coach NOT yell at me, players will usually console me."  It's often a way to escape a coach's wrath and gain support at the same time.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
November 14, 2019 6:15 am  

Mountjoy had an eval tool somewhere...try and look it up , if i find it will repost.

1st thought is yes your kids avg at best... 2nd is your focusing on the wrong things imo. 

Mechanics
Vision
Ability

I beleive are the terms harbaugh used as key points to evaluate a qb for the pros. So take that for what its worth.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
November 14, 2019 7:48 am  

16 tds and 1500 yards passing are way above average stats for a 12 year old in 8 games. 
I'm guessing your team was the best passing team in the league.  If you are a pass first offense, and I am guessing that you are, those 11 picks are going to happen at that age.  You'd like for them to be lower of course, but at that age, and if you're throwing 200 or more passes a season, shit happens. 

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
November 14, 2019 8:15 am  

Okay, my 11 year old QB from last season...

41 of 88 for 516 yards. 8 TDs, 3 INTS. Long of 47 yards. We rushed the ball 134 times for 744 yards. 7 TDs and 2 Fumbles. This was in 8 games, one was suspended right after the half (we never possessed the ball in the 2nd half, lightning) and one was canceled 5 minutes into the 1st quarter (lightning again).

We ran a pistol spread offense, played 8 minute quarters.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 8:18 am  

We ran a pistol spread offense, played 8 minute quarters.

And that's another consideration in productivity comparisons:  8/10/12 minute quarters.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 8:19 am  

41 of 88 for 516 yards. 8 TDs, 3 INTS.

And of course, you can break it down even further to "receiver drops" and "QB pressures."  Those also affect the numbers.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
November 14, 2019 8:28 am  

The thing that stands out as a concern is his propensity for Drama when things aren't going his way.

I can win with an average ability QB who, above all, maintains his composure and executes under fire.  I really dont want to sit an wonder what will trigger one of the meltdowns....

Just Saying

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
November 14, 2019 8:33 am  

And of course, you can break it down even further to "receiver drops" and "QB pressures."  Those also affect the numbers.

--Dave

We also had 8 drops...and 2 of the picks came off a receiver's hands...

ReplyQuote
acsmith7062
(@acsmith7062)
Copper
Texas
3rd - 5th
Head Coach
November 14, 2019 8:34 am  

For comparison, my 10 year old QB this past season was 44-86, 664 yards, 7 TDs, 2 INTs, and 10 PATs (we get 2 points for a PAT pass and 1 for a PAT run, so we throw it a lot after TDs).  He rushed 44 times for 167 yards, 9 TDs, 1 PAT, and lost one fumble on the season.

--Chad

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."   O.A. "Bum" Phillips

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
November 14, 2019 8:35 am  

The thing that stands out as a concern is his propensity for Drama when things aren't going his way.

I can win with an average ability QB who, above all, maintains his composure and executes under fire.  I really dont want to sit an wonder what will trigger one of the meltdowns....

Just Saying

Yup

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: