Page 2 / 2
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 8:58 am  

I can win with an average ability QB who, above all, maintains his composure and executes under fire.  I really dont want to sit an wonder what will trigger one of the meltdowns.

Yes, but most often kids are acting out based on how they're being dealt with.  I can't tell you the number of times I've seen tots fall on their face but didn't cry until they saw the parent rushing to their aid.  I've had high-drama, disagreeable, prima donna kids at every age group.  And the fix has always been pretty straightforward.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 8:59 am  

By the way, did anyone vote in this thread?  I did.  And it's 100% in my favor. 😛

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
November 14, 2019 9:15 am  

Yes, but most often kids are acting out based on how they're being dealt with.  I can't tell you the number of times I've seen tots fall on their face but didn't cry until they saw the parent rushing to their aid.  I've had high-drama, disagreeable, prima donna kids at every age group.  And the fix has always been pretty straightforward.

--Dave

We're talking about a 7th grader.  I believe we are saying the same thing Dave.  As Barney Fife would say, you gotta "Nip It In The Bud"!! 

8) 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 9:27 am  

I believe we are saying the same thing Dave.

Maybe so, Scott.  But all I know is, at this point in the proceedings, 75% of those who've voted agree with me.  Or, I'm being outvoted 75% to 25%.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
November 14, 2019 10:18 am  

I'm Losing 80-20 now.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 14, 2019 11:14 am  

Based on what I’ve seen in our leagues, I’d say he’s exceptional. With those numbers and a 50% completion rate, I don’t think we’d ever lose.

A few years ago, we scouted a future opponent who passed around 50% of the time. QB was the best we’d ever faced. I told Mahonz that a youth QB who completed 50% of his passes could be considered “elite”. I also told him that this kid would have to complete 50% and no INTs for their passing game to be a factor. The kid ended up 12 for 25, 1 TD, 1 INT and 2 sacks. We won 3 TDS to 2.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
November 14, 2019 11:59 am  

Biggest drawback is maintaining a positive attitude and melting down in tough games or after a mistake is made. Any thoughts, advice is appreciated.

To me, this is more important than any of the stats listed above. Let's be honest: bad things are going to happen on the gridiron. I want a leader who will keep my team encouraged and help them get back into the game. As a Single Winger, this is a *must* for me.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
JRP8
 JRP8
(@jrp8)
Lurker
November 14, 2019 6:53 pm  

To me, this is more important than any of the stats listed above. Let's be honest: bad things are going to happen on the gridiron. I want a leader who will keep my team encouraged and help them get back into the game. As a Single Winger, this is a *must* for me.

Agreed. He is capable of being that positive leader and he is more often than not. He just isn't as consistent about it as we might like him to be and when it goes bad it' s generally really bad(throws helmet, criticizes play calls) He is a coaches son and an intense competitor so much so that he does completely lose his composure. The coaching he recieves is also intense at times but we don't blame any kid for making a mistake. Mistakes equal learning and learning is part of football. He is extremely hard on himself, even moreso than his Dad or any of the coaches are. We preach "Sometimes things just don't go the way you want and stress short memory, next play. Our biggest problem is the drop off from him to #2 in terms of football intelligence and ability is so far off that we would not be competitive. Rock in a hard place sometimes. aquote author=Wing-n-It link=topic=29414.msg419949#msg419949 date=1573741701]
Sounds about average 5-3 is average
60-70% being able to make "all" the throws? Does that mean they make it there and the receiver doesn't catch it? If he only makes the throws 60-70% of the time that's under average. I don't know if youre talking completion% or accuracy.

His attitude needs to be worked on more than anything.

The rest is pretty average given the information at hand.

IMO he needs more pressure at practice he also needs to push himself to be better. The attitude you have stated is hard to shake, in tough times most will revert back to that type of attitude if that is truly who they are.

QBs get most of the praise when things go right, the unfortunate thing is they also get the majority of the blame when things go wrong and some just cant handle it.
Both are unfair, but it comes with the territory

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 8:45 pm  

He is a coaches son and an intense competitor so much so that he does completely lose his composure.

--Yes, I believe I referred to that.

QBs get most of the praise when things go right, the unfortunate thing is they also get the majority of the blame when things go wrong and some just cant handle it.

--"Comes with the territory" is a cliche that can and should be changed.  It only "comes with the territory" when a coach holds his QB to a different standard.  Just because it's said, "QBs get more of the credit and more of the blame" doesn't mean that's how it should be.  It only means you're not willing to change the status quo.  You admit that it's unfair, but you also sound accepting of it.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
JRP8
 JRP8
(@jrp8)
Lurker
November 14, 2019 9:39 pm  

Agreed. He is capable of being that positive leader and he is more often than not. He just isn't as consistent about it as we might like him to be and when it goes bad it' s generally really bad(throws helmet, criticizes play calls) He is a coaches son and an intense competitor so much so that he does completely lose his composure. The coaching he recieves is also intense at times but we don't blame any kid for making a mistake. Mistakes equal learning and learning is part of football. He is extremely hard on himself, even moreso than his Dad or any of the coaches are. We preach "Sometimes things just don't go the way you want and stress short memory, next play. Our biggest problem is the drop off from him to #2 in terms of football intelligence and ability is so far off that we would not be competitive. Rock in a hard place sometimes. aquote author=Wing-n-It link=topic=29414.msg419949#msg419949 date=1573741701]
60-70% being able to make "all" the throws? Does that mean they make it there and the receiver doesn't catch it? If he only makes the throws 60-70% of the time that's under average. I don't know if youre talking completion% or accuracy.

IMO he needs more pressure at practice he also needs to push himself to be better. The attitude you have stated is hard to shake, in tough times most will revert back to that type of attitude if that is truly who they are.

I'm talking completion % even after all the easy drops which there was plenty of.He actually endures quite a bit of pressure in practice, his Dad is by no means easy on him. In fact he is alot tougher on him than anyone else. Do you think this is hurting the situation ? We were really 4-5 plays from being 7-1. We finished 4th in the league in scoring and 14th out of 19 teams in Points allowed. So those losses were definitely not all his fault.

ReplyQuote
JRP8
 JRP8
(@jrp8)
Lurker
November 14, 2019 9:49 pm  

Personally, I don't like the TD to INT ratio...

And there really isn't enough data here to give an accurate appraisal, beyond the TD to INT ratio.

But other things...how is the pass pro? how are his receivers? were his picks bad decisions? good defensive plays? off the receivers hands?
He has a core group of 3 recievers, the 4 of them have been together 5 yrs. Not much of those yards came on designed runs. Most were scrambles. We run primarily a read option spread. Probably half the picks were bad decisions the other half were good defensive plays or bounced off the reciever or were catchable but the reciever just didn't go after it like he should have or ran the wrong route. At least 5 of the picks were thrown non- dominant to one particular reciever that was guilty of all of the above.
Regarding the rushing? 200 yards on how many attempts?

Based on what I’ve seen in our leagues, I’d say he’s exceptional. With those numbers and a 50% completion rate, I don’t think we’d ever lose.
We were probably 70/30 pass to run due to lack of an effective running game. Primarily because our best running back was also our best deep threat and athlete and he played both sides of the ball and special teams so we tried to save him the beating and found success sending him down the field. We are not in a league where actual stats are recorded so what I stated is what I could gather from the games we had video of and my own memory. His completion percentage was 60-70% in most games.

A few years ago, we scouted a future opponent who passed around 50% of the time. QB was the best we’d ever faced. I told Mahonz that a youth QB who completed 50% of his passes could be considered “elite”. I also told him that this kid would have to complete 50% and no INTs for their passing game to be a factor. The kid ended up 12 for 25, 1 TD, 1 INT and 2 sacks. We won 3 TDS to 2.

Were they designed rushes?

What type of offense is he in?

Etc....

Like Robert said...attitude is everything...if he can't keep his composure, he won't be a QB for much longer.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 14, 2019 9:49 pm  

He actually endures quite a bit of pressure in practice, his Dad is by no means easy on him. In fact he is alot tougher on him than anyone else. Do you think this is hurting the situation ?

What do you think? ::)

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: